So does a microphone like an SM57 have a jack plug on the end right? or a USB, because ive heard with some good mics you have like a 'ghost' cable, power supply and you have to go buying loads of adapters and more expensice cables.

(i will delete this thread after i get an answer )

EDIT: its called a Phantom Power Supply
Last edited by Beansontoast at Jun 9, 2006,
Microphones use XLR cables.

Certain mics, called condenser mics, require phantom power.. usually from a mixer or PA etc. But the SM57 is not a condenser.

USB is a computer technology and has nothing to do with microphones.

If you want to connect a microphone directly to your computer's sound card then you would need 2 adapters and an XLR cable. The 2 adapters would be an XLR -> 1/4" setereo converter and then a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo. You can get both adapters at Radio Shack etc. Then you can plug it into the microphone input on your sound card.

Though most people would recommend that you get a sound card designed for recording .. with XLR inputs, a good mic pre-amp and phantom power etc.. Such a sound card would be something like this: http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=9871
Last edited by garett at Jun 9, 2006,
Microphones use XLR cables.
If you want to connect a microphone directly to your computer's sound card then you would need 2 adapters and an XLR cable. The 2 adapters would be an XLR -> 1/4" setereo converter and then a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo. You can get both adapters at Radio Shack etc. Then you can plug it in

Why would you need the XLR cable?

Those connectors are what I first used with my SM57, but the quality was still bad so I got an Inspire 1394 which acts as an external soundcard, So I run an XLR cable from my mic the the 1394.
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
Quote by ICanPlayWell
Why would you need the XLR cable?

Those connectors are what I first used with my SM57, but the quality was still bad so I got an Inspire 1394 which acts as an external soundcard, So I run an XLR cable from my mic the the 1394.
Of course but that requires him to get a new sound card. If you read my whole post you'd see that I did bring that up.

And either way "Why would you need the XLR cable?" makes no sense. Even in your setup you're using an XLR cable. You can't get around using an XLR cable. It's required no matter what your setup is. I'm really confused by your post.
get an xlr to 1/4" cable then a 1/4" to an 1/8" adapter at radioshack or where ever.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Quote by garett
Of course but that requires him to get a new sound card. If you read
And either way "Why would you need the XLR cable?" makes no sense. Even in your setup you're using an XLR cable. You can't get around using an XLR cable. It's required no matter what your setup is. I'm really confused by your post.

I know that he might not have a soundcard deal.

What I meant by "Why would you need an XLR cable?": How I had mine set up, I had
SM57>XLR to 1/4" converter>1/4" to 1/8" converter> 1/8" In on my computer.
So, yes, my mic was basically sticking out of my computer, but I was micing my amp which was at a good height for where the 1/8" in on my computer was. So I see how that is not a very effectual setup, which may have confused you.

But yes, any way, an XLR would be very useful.
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
BIG QUESTION!
if im buying an sm57 will I need an female to XLR cable or a male one????? which end goes in where? im so confused!
female goes to mic and male goes to mixer/pa/interface or whatever.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Quote by Beansontoast
BIG QUESTION!
if im buying an sm57 will I need an female to XLR cable or a male one????? which end goes in where? im so confused!

theres only one type of XLR cable (well as far as i know) and that is male to female, so XLR is easiy extendable etc. so you would just need to buy a general XLR without worrying about male and female etc.