So I am thinking about upgrading my pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul. I don't really know if it is worth the upgrade though. I like my pickups that I currently have in there for different reasons:

Bridge: Good for heavier sounds and pretty much no complaints about it.

Neck: I like this one with some reverb and either played clean or for some lead solos. It is way to bassy for anything but lead playing though. If I try and play rhythym, it just sucks.

Would a pickup upgrade do a lot for me? I play pretty much everything but country and jazz. I play in a hardcore band that has influences like American Nightmare and Bane. When I am just playing for fun, I will play anything from the Beatles and Lynyrd Skynyrd to Metallica solos and Coheed and Cambria. I really have no clue as to what pickups I should be buying. I pretty much need a lot of versatility in them.

Would a pickup change give me a big enough difference in tone?

What pickups should I order? My budget is probably about $150 but I will go higher if it is goign to be a big difference.

What should I upgrade other than pickups if they won't make a big enough change.
eh, it's not just the pickups, it's more like the whole setup of the guitar. my gibson les paul and sg came with the same pickups but sounded different. the les paul has mellower sound while the sg has more twang and pop to it.
so... i dunno, adjust the action maybe, change the pickups (emg's?), or get a different style guitar, even though i see your budget is $150... so i'm not sure about that.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The guitar is already set up. I don't need another style guitar, this is perfectly fine. I just need to know which pickups are going to be good for me.
jeeze fine, do whatever.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Try the Seymour Duncan Full Shred in the bridge - it's clear, articulate and distorts AMAZINGLY, it also handles clean well, I'd guess a Jazz or Alinco II in the neck, both feel natural in that position - distort well, and handle clean well.

Unsigned, your guitars sound different because of the thickness of the mahogany in the guitars. SGs are like an inch and a half thick, and are smaller all around than a Les Paul which is about two, two and two thirds of an inch thick, and has a bit larger of a body.

The Les Paul will sound "darker" or "thicker" than the SG which will sound "thinner" or "brighter" because of the body wood thickness, though there is no right or wrong for which one sounds better.
Last edited by klowntown101 at Jun 10, 2006,