Page 1 of 6
Damn straight.

Now, to quickly lay down some ground rules.

A) No exercises. Please.

B) No over-repetition of the same idea. If i see a 30 second sweep sequence that's all Cm shapes and doesnt actually incorporate a single novel idea, i'll be really mean to you. If you must give us something repetitive, just tab the first one and then say D, A, Bm, F#m (Jerry C welcome. ) or something similar.

C) Dont ask about techniques, we have a technique thread. This is where we can pick up little licks and things and use the techniques.

D) Try and provide an explanation of context, style, etc. Provide a Guitar Pro file or PT with the relevant rhythm guitar or harmony.

E) Rusty Cooley does not visit this board, so dont write licks for him. PLAYABLE is good. If it doesnt sound interest with the kind of technique we have around here, then it's probably a boring lick. Then dont post it.

Dont worry about posting other peoples licks via link or whatever, they put it online for other people to learn, and we are those other people!

Righty, i'm going to start us off, as you might have guessed.

This is a neat little PH lick.

E-5-----
B--3----
G---3---
D----5-3
A-------
E-------

Those are the nodes you want to hit. The fret numbers show where the nodes would be if you were playing them as natural harmonics on an open string, and if you go the same distance back from the bridge you should get the theme from "Close Encounters of the 3rd kind.

This should be playable on open strings and on any barred fret as well. Watch for noise!

Im also sticking this up because a lot of people seem to randomly aim at "sweet spots" - theres more to it than that!

E|
B|
G|4b2-0-4b2-0-4b2-------4p2p0h2
D|-----------------4p2p0-------0
A|
E|

That's like an A mixolydian lick, the bends at the start are slow with the G been quick and then the bend been done slow to build tension, then the legato bit is done fast and aftr that you can break into whatever.

And I realise this isn't really a shred lick, but I think it sounds cool so I put it up...Be kind
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Last edited by Matt_Malmsteen at Jun 9, 2006,
Here's a nice blues/pentatonic lick I love to use in a shred context. I alternate with different techniques and pick attaks according to my mood. Might alternate it, might do it economoy, might even throw in some legato. Very Petrucci-esque if you can get it fast enough. I find it best played at about... 170/176bpm in 16ths. It's in the key of A blues/min pentatonic.
Attachments:
Lick.JPG
cool blues lick in F# Blues Minor by me

e|------5------5h7p5-----------------2---------------------------------|
B|-------5-7/10-----7-5h7p5----------2---------------------------------|
G|--5h6--------------------6-4h6p4---2---------------------------------|
D|-7------------------------------7--2---------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------4---------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------2---------------------------------|
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]

i made this lick while practicing the glass prison arps its kinda cool once youve speed it up, its gotta a yngwie type of sound

its on a Dm scale, the only hard part of that lick is the stretching+slide thing.
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own
Quote by Freepower
E) Rusty Cooley does not visit this board, so dont write licks for him. PLAYABLE is good. If it doesnt sound interest with the kind of technique we have around here, then it's probably a boring lick. Then dont post it.

How hard is too hard? I've a whole bunch of tricky legato lines that I think very few here could play right (ie CLEANY) at the speed where they start sounding good. You know, string skips, odd position shifts, uncomfortable stretches and the like.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
C minor sweeping ftw

e---------------11h13h11----11-------11-----------|
B------------13----------13----13p11-13b----------|
G---------12--------------------------------------|
D------13-----------------------------------------|
A---15--------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------|
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Last edited by apocalypse13 at Jun 9, 2006,
Okay i am really bad with code.

Really bad.

lets see...

---------------------7-12-15-12------------------------------------------12-17-19/20\19-17-12-17-20/22/20-17-12-17-19/20/19-17-12-----------------
------------------8-----------------13-------------------------------13------------------------------------------------------------16-15-13----
---------------9------------------------14/12/9-------------9/12/14-------------------------------------------------------------------------14-
------5-9-10-------------------------------------10-----10------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---7-------------------------------------------------12-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** code.

everything on the high e past 17 is tapped and slid.
Quote by Prophet of Page
How hard is too hard? I've a whole bunch of tricky legato lines that I think very few here could play right (ie CLEANY) at the speed where they start sounding good. You know, string skips, odd position shifts, uncomfortable stretches and the like.

I think a good benchmark would be to post something that isn't too hard to get up to speed cleanly, and is going to sound killer - Like Freepower said, he doesn't want excercises... and truth be told, if you post some of them, like you said, they're more or less going to be excercises for most of us, those who you assume that couldn't play them cleanly at the speed they start sounding killer. So, for the majority of us, they're going to be excercises, which is what Freepower doesn't want. I've no objections though... I'm up for a challenge.

While I'm here and in the key of Amin, I'll give you guys a single string lick moving up - A la The Steen. Strictly alternated, bien sure. Notice the slides that connect each group - which I think is fundamental in this lick to give it that nice flowing sound, which with licks like this, is what I aim for. I currently have it up to 150 - which I think is a nice easy going speed for said lick. Bordering on fast, but still maintaining the melody.

Voila...
Attachments:
Lick 2 (500 x 104).jpg

-------------------------------5---8---10----12---8------------17~--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------10------------------
-----------------5--7---10------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--5---8---10--------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's one that goes from Dm to Am. play everything except the last note as a triplet.
Got another for y'all.

-------------------------------------------12p11p10--------------12-14-15-12-13/14---------------------------
-----------------12p11p10--------------------------12p11p10--------------------------15-------------------
-------------11--------------12p11p10-------------------------------------------------------------
---------10-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----12-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-10---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

legato kind of thing in the myxolidian mode, d here.

i usually pick the first part, but you can sweep it.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=49EFD099106D247A
again with accompanying video!

i'd do sound files but it takes longer.
How bout the 2 string tapping intro to the song I made a while back?
*cough*which I don't know what key tis in *cough**cough*

A-------------21p17h19p15--------------------------
E-19p12h15p12-------------15p10h14p10h17p14h15p12
  T           T      T    T      T     T     T

T's are tapped, and I play it at 100bpm with 16th notes.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Last edited by apocalypse13 at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by scheck006
it's e minor, there's a C natural

No there isn't...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
what do you call the 15th fret on the A string?

edit: you guys need to look at the string names, he said they were E and A,

not B and e
Last edited by scheck006 at Jun 9, 2006,
uhhmm i think scheck006 right..
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own
apocalypse13
thats alot like beat it
but i like how you moved some stuff
its awesome
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
I came up with a little catchy riff, it's nothing special, but I enjoy playing it. Just play it over and over really fast, and alternate pick.

E|---2-3-2--2-6-2--|
B|----------6-------3|

Like I said, it's nothing special, but I think its cool.
Quote by chase09
What types of chords would you use for neoclassical?

Diminished chords are good for neoclassical sounding stuff as well as 7ths sometimes.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Whoa, not a theory thread. And please, tom, lick ahoy, but you must have stuff that's interesting at any speed, so lets have that.

And bear in mind, its not my thread, its the forum's thread. And thanks PK, lots and lots of stuff already.
Pretty cool licks Pookoo. I see you've widened and slowed down your vibrato as well. That is good.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Cool sweeping lick in the key of E that I came up with last night. Tis all 16th notes except the last note. It sounds pretty good even slow.

e|------------------------------13h16p13-----13h16/19p16---------------------------------|
B|----------------------------13-------13--13-----------17-------------------------------|
G|-----------13-16p13-------13-----------13---------------16-----------------------------|
D|---------14---------14--15---------------------------------18--------14-18-15-14-13~~--|
A|-------15-------------15-------------------------------------19-14-15------------------|
E|-12-16---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Last edited by apocalypse13 at Jun 10, 2006,
it kinda starts out in E then kinda moves away
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.