Styx is one of my favorite bands and I believe that they need their own thread, so I made this one for them. After all, they were the first classic rock band I really got into(before BOC, but don't tell anyone). Oh yeah, and I get the honor of seeing them live tomorrow too, so I'm pretty excited.

So, what Styx album is your favorite, mine is 'Paradise Theater' followed by 'THe Grand Illusion.'
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Styx is an amazing band, particularly their more progressive, earlier material. My personal favorite albums are Styx and The Grand Illusion.
The Grand Illusion! Styx rocks.. i love that song 'The Renegade' it makes me so pumped up
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
I haven't listened to Styx much - they've never really interested me.

Of course I've heard Renegade and Come Sail Away, but nothing else (as far as I know).

Therefore, I don't really have a "favorite album" by them.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I haven't listened to Styx much - they've never really interested me.

thats a good thing,

not a big styx fan either, nothin' against there fans i just find there songs incredibly annoying, well written, but annyoing...
^While I don't agree with you, I respect your viewpoint, but I can see where you are coming from in your views.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
I like Renegade a lot, and Come Sail Away isn't bad either, though the very beginning drives me nuts.

I've tried to listen to one of their CDs (I believe it was The Grand Illusion) at Barnes and Nobles once, but I found myself discontent with their music.

They just don't fit my tastes.
Styx are great. I can only listen to them in small dosages though. I go insane if I listen to them for too long. I think the vocals are over the top.
^ Exactly. Styx isn't the kind of band you become obsessed with and listen through their whole discography becuase you'd get bored pretty quick, but they are good for the occasional song thrown into the mix.
^thats the way i feel, sweet madam blue is a very good song, as miss america, but anything over that, you would just go insane...
:
Quote by -AliceCooper
thats a good thing,

not a big styx fan either, nothin' against there fans i just find there songs incredibly annoying, well written, but annyoing...

Tony, your such a liar. Anytime i say anything bad about your "Hairbands" you laugh and say "You like Styx." Even though i only like two of their songs, and you like at least three.
I'm a huge Styx fan especially Crystal Ball and Blue Collar Man
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by led.zep1
:

Tony, your such a liar. Anytime i say anything bad about your "Hairbands" you laugh and say "You like Styx." Even though i only like two of their songs, and you like at least three.

whats wrong with liking two songs by styx?...
Uhh, I never said there was anything wrong with likeing to songs. I said theres something wrong about talking crap to me about styx whene you like more songs of theirs than i do.
Well after seeing them live, I like them even more, with Lawerence Gowan instead of DeYoung, the DeYoung songs aren't as good, but Gowan is an extraordinary frontman. Shaw still kicks ass at guitar, he's like a mini Nugent.
Quote by BlueOyster23
Styx is one of my favorite bands and I believe that they need their own thread, so I made this one for them. After all, they were the first classic rock band I really got into(before BOC, but don't tell anyone). Oh yeah, and I get the honor of seeing them live tomorrow too, so I'm pretty excited.

So, what Styx album is your favorite, mine is 'Paradise Theater' followed by 'THe Grand Illusion.'

Styx licks the balls of a 300 year old dead rhino.
Quote by killertomato333

is that good or bad?...
Quote by killertomato333

You know everyone, I really hate people like this...people who enter a thread and flame a band that they've heard..what? 3 songs? 2? Okay, they've heard 1 song by the band. Even if they've heard every single song by the artist, it's really f***in' retarded(if I can say that), because the actual FANS who want to discuss the band don't want the person to do that, and often the only people who flame the band are the only person in the thread the agree with themselves.

So seriously people, if you have a problem with Styx, KISS, Led Zeppelin, or any other band, just keep it to yourself, unless you want to look like a jacka**. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you know what, I don't enter a Green Day thread and say s*** about them, that's called restraint, which you, killertomato333, need to learn.

Back to Styx, someone mentioned "Miss America," that song is pretty much awesome, cool guitar riff and James Young's hard-hitting lyrics, pretty good live, not awesome though.
I saw Dennis DeYoung and the original styx guitarist yesterday w/ the rest of the band made up and they ****in kicked ass. I gotta say dennis still has it. He can sing, and pull moves like always. Lou Gramm however, i would like 2 forget i ever saw.
Gotta love 'em.
My mom was the hugest fan, and she has all their albums on vinyl, and i listen to them a lot, grand illusion is the best sticks album without a doubt.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by soul_power
I saw Dennis DeYoung and the original styx guitarist yesterday w/ the rest of the band made up and they ****in kicked ass. I gotta say dennis still has it. He can sing, and pull moves like always. Lou Gramm however, i would like 2 forget i ever saw.

James Curulewski(I think thats his last name), yeah, he was alright, but Tommy Shaw is far better.

As for Lou Gramm, yeah he's lost his spark, but Foreigner with Kelly Hanson is pretty bad ass.
styx as classic rock? i can see foreigner, but classic rock ? how about classic pop ? but of course thats only my opinion.
***MEMBER OF THE WHO FAN CLUB***

*Founder of Teenage Wasteland Club*(working to inform the un-informed)

**Member #2 of the Windmillers Club**

**Alter Boy of Zeppelinism**

*9/08 THE WHO*
^Depends on what "Styx" you look at...

There's pop style Styx whcih DeYoung did..."Come Sail Away," "Best Of Times," "Mr. Roboto," and "Show Me The Way"

While there's the rock stylings of James Young & Tommy Shaw..."Rock & Roll Feeling," "Miss America," "Blue Collar Man," "Renegade," "Rockin' The Paradise," and "Snowblind"

Of course, often these stlyings would often fuse to create the true badassidy of Styx.
^Yeah, the title track, "Miss America," "Man In The Wilderness," etc. classics.

However, "Fooling Yourself can get old, while "Come Sail Away" is a little overrated for me.
Styx had one really good album, the Grand Illusion. Then they had a stream of hits that were ok too. Overall, once in a while they are a good listen, but they are not a band you can listen to obsessively.
Coldplay Rocks
^I don't know, after I saw them live I listened to them a lot afterwards.
Two year since a post in this thread about such an awesome band...?
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody