I thought I heard before that using a Distortion pedal on a tube amp shortens tube life and isn't a good idea, Is this true?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
no its not true, i use an OVERDRIVE pedal on the dirty channel to push it into heavy distortion
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
so i could run an overdrive pedal into my JMC900 (not that i really need it) i play punk and blues and the crunch and clean on it are good enough for me.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
if u want sum intense distoertion for sum rippin leads, stick liek a maxon 808 there or a TS9 infront of the dirty channel. oooh mama that soduns ncie
distortion pedal + tube amp = sacrelig
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Heh thanks guys, just wondering if I could use my Distortion pedal until I can get an OD

After trying it out however I think I'll just wait for the OD :/
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by Funky P
distortion pedal + tube amp = sacrelig

tell that to vai and satch.

it shouldn't do any harm... but don't quote me on that, lol.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i remember when i asked about this. i couldnt seem to get the tone i wanted from my dsl, plugged my vox bulldog distortion in to the clean channel with a little gain, and, after all the pissing and moaning about it, it, to my ears, sounds absolutely bloody awesome!
It can't hurt.

And Dave, you do know Vai and Satch are n00bs right...?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
It probably drives the tubes harder (I take that back, it does drive them harder), thus shortening the life. But I wouldn't know as I don't own a tube amp.
Distortion pedal on a tube amp? Ish don' think so.

Overdrive is where its at. I'm sure it would shorten the lifespan, because it is putting more work into the tubes, but I would vote quality over quantity. You aren't buying a tube amp because you want something reliable. You're buying it for that incredible tube tone. That's like buying a 70' HDTV Plasma, and buying a VCR because DVDs will make the plasma fade quicker.
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
It can't hurt.

And Dave, you do know Vai and Satch are n00bs right...?

yeah, they suck.

just to point out- IMO, an OD pedal sounds better than a disto pedal through a tube amp.

But it's not like it can't be done. And it's also not like it's not desirable- if you're after that tone, it's good. It's more a preference thing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by oddling8
You mean, "sacrilege"? You are genius.

who cares if he spelt it wrong...
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Distortion pedals are good for a tube if you want to play at low volume and still sound nice.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what about tubed distortion pedal running through a tube amp

I've never seen a tube distortion pedal before. If you're talking about those like "Bad Bone Super Distortion" or whatever, that have 1 12AX7, I don't think that is really classified as a tube distortion pedal. More of a gimmicky hybrid like the Valvtronix or AVT.
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
Quote by HomerHitter
I've never seen a tube distortion pedal before. If you're talking about those like "Bad Bone Super Distortion" or whatever, that have 1 12AX7, I don't think that is really classified as a tube distortion pedal. More of a gimmicky hybrid like the Valvtronix or AVT.

im talking more along the lines of damage control pedals
it depends if you liek your amp or not as welll....a distortion pedal will seriously colour your sound, whereas an overdrive would be more transparent
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.