Okay so a while back I bought this guitar from a friend who had bought it from a pawn shop. I have been planning on on getting a new guitar but I changed my mind and decided on a new amp. Now to save money I have decided to just upgrade this guitar. It is an Ibanez Roadstar 11 model. It has two single soil pickups and one humbucker pickup on the bridge. I need some ideas on some to get. I want to have a nice clean sound but also some good distortion too. Any ideas?
Yes mine has mini humbuckers too and I know they suck but that is why I want to upgrade. I don't have the cash to spend on a new guitar so I figured if I made some upgrades on this one it wouldn't cost to much and it would at least be a half decent guitar until I could save up the money.
Quote by Autumn Shadows
I have an Ibanez RoadStar II Series but mine has humbuckers. Don't even bother, they're garbage

honestly if you think ibanez roadstars are garbage then i don't know what you look for in a good guitar.

the roadstars have incredible quality control. as they were made in ibanez's japanese factory. only thing that could be a problem, and this isn't a problem on all roadstars, is the bridge. they were still working on things and then they came out with the Edge.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Those old RoadStar II series kick ass. Granted, like any other line of guitars, there were low end and higher end models, but regardless of pedigree, they were all made at the same factory in Japan, and the only real difference between the high and low end models are the wood quality. So technically, even the low end models were excellent guitars compared to other brands' similar offerings at the time.

The only thing that might be an issue, as rich2k4 mentioned, was the bridge. They had some really wonky non-locking trems at the time. And their locking trems were only so-so at best too. Otherwise though, they're excellent guitars when setup right.

As for pickups, I'm not sure what wood these guitars are made from. But my old RoadStar II had after-market Dimarzios. I'm not sure of the model, since I hadn't installed them, but I know they were pretty hot pickups, so whatever was available from Dimarzio in the late 80s was what I had, and it sounded excellent.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I have decided on the Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker pickup for the bridge. I still have not decided on the two single coil pickups. I could use some more suggestions...I don't get why there are three pickups on this thing and it only has a three way switch...
one of the knobs is able to be pushed. making the humbucker into a single coil.

thats how it is on mine.

this allows you to have a SSS setup or SSH setup
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."