Page 1 of 2
ok well i am changing the pickups in my ibanez and i only really have the choice of changing them with seymour duncans because all the shops round here only seem to stock them.

My guitar is made out of basswood and i play metal/shred. I'm looking for a pickup with a nice midrange but wont sound too muddy in the basswood.

I would like some opinions on these models from you guys and girls

SH4 JB
SH6 Duncan Distortion
SH 8 Invader
SH10 Full Shred
SH12 George Lynch Screamin' Demon
SH13 Dimebucker

cheers
JB high treble, high output. full shred is pretty good. invader too muddy. dimebucker meh.

also if u can find it, check out dimarzio tone zone. its as high an output as the JB but has more mid range and low end.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
JB high treble, high output. full shred is pretty good. invader too muddy. dimebucker meh.

also if u can find it, check out dimarzio tone zone. its as high an output as the JB but has more mid range and low end.

would the jb do high gain and cleans well then? are they quite clear?
not particularly versatile. i use my Jazz in the neck for my cleans.
u can adjust the poles on the pickup. if u raise the bass side poles and keep the treble side poles lower, u can get a more balanced sound out of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i just read that trembuckers are for guitars with floyds does this mean i would need to get some kinda trembucker?
well

all i can say is do NOT get the dimebucker. It's not even really the pups Dime used. It's some crappy recreation of it. and the harmonics are horrible, which is really weird.
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
Quote by ISuk@Guitar
well

all i can say is do NOT get the dimebucker. It's not even really the pups Dime used. It's some crappy recreation of it. and the harmonics are horrible, which is really weird.

yea i have heard bad things about the dimebucker... can anyone help me with the trembucker thing?
I've heard mixed reviews about dimebuckers being too high pitched and not as deep as one might like.
I have an invader, worst investment ever...well besides the GK bass amp that blew up wiht the volume and master at 12:00. the invader has quite a lot of hum and feeback, really trebly and weak cleans. If your playing with a lot of gain its not half bad besides teh feedback and buzz/hum.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Out of the Duncans, with an Ibanez which is a brighter sounding guitar, I wouldnt get teh JB. I would get a Duncan Distortion bridge for nice output with added mids/bass and a Jazz for the neck (which sounds beautiful cleans and nice n throaty with great pick attack when soloing with distortion) , again it has added bass which will suit your Ibanez well.
Quote by CustomCustom
Out of the Duncans, with an Ibanez which is a brighter sounding guitar, I wouldnt get teh JB. I would get a Duncan Distortion bridge for nice output with added mids/bass and a Jazz for the neck (which sounds beautiful cleans and nice n throaty with great pick attack when soloing with distortion) , again it has added bass which will suit your Ibanez well.

cheers il see about putting a duncan distortion in will the standard model fit into my guitar alrite though because it has a floyd rose and theres different spacing and stuff?... it would be going in the bridge

edit: i mean to say would i need the SH-6 or the TB-6? and does it matter THAT much?
Last edited by nofxnofxnofx at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by ISuk@Guitar
well

Right, Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence pickup.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
The Dimebucker sucks. I own a Dimebucker and a SH-1 '59, and I'm awaiting my dual SH-10 Full Shred's to arrive so I can swap them out. I don't know how it'd go in basswood, but apparently the Full Shred has great lower-mids and isn't so damn bright like the Dimebucker.

You'd probably like the Duncan Distortion though, if you're just wanting to play metal. It's a bit more aggressive than the Full Shred.
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
yea i have heard bad things about the dimebucker... can anyone help me with the trembucker thing?

what guitar is this going into
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what guitar is this going into

ibanez RG 565 and in the end i put the JB in because they didnt have the duncan distortion
i've never really noticed any difference in the distance between the poles on designed trembuckers and normal humbuckers, a lot of people just buy a standard humbucker for floyd rose trem's, ive got a feeling there is a slight differnece but it isnt noticeable, its really just a marketing ploy to make you spend more money
^^ for real, EVH didnt have trembuckers available when he used the earliest floyds and didnt hurt his tone
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
ibanez RG 565 and in the end i put the JB in because they didnt have the duncan distortion

Ask them if they can order it. That's what I did with mine (really great pick-up btw)
Quote by malakian_rocks
Ask them if they can order it. That's what I did with mine (really great pick-up btw)

yea i did but the guy said they dont really order single pickups what do you guys think to the JB then?
Quote by malakian_rocks
Well, is there another store that you can go and try to ask them then.

yea i rang round a few places and they all charged like £70 to put 1 pickup in!
but i have already paid for the JB and installation now
install it yourself mate, just get the shop to order the pickup and get the installation done by your self
Quote by azn_guitarist25
install it yourself mate, just get the shop to order the pickup and get the installation done by your self

nah i have already payed and the wiring was already a bit fooked so im glad to get it sorted.

i have promised myself thats the last time i pay someone to install a pickup... anyone one know any good tutorials that go through things clearly?

still looking for opinions on the JB aswell
Quote by azn_guitarist25
well all you need is to know how to read schematics and how to solder and your good to go

Well i can solder fine but whenever i take my guitar apart theres like 20 different wires all going to different places and some of them are grounded

it all just cofuses me, are there any wiring diagrams that are good to look at?
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
i've never really noticed any difference in the distance between the poles on designed trembuckers and normal humbuckers, a lot of people just buy a standard humbucker for floyd rose trem's, ive got a feeling there is a slight differnece but it isnt noticeable, its really just a marketing ploy to make you spend more money

there is a difference, it's easily noticable. The F spaced (trembucker) are wider so the polers sit directly under the strings. If you put a standard spaced humbucker on a FR guitar, the poles will be inside the high and low E.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
there is difference, it's easily noticable. The F spaced (trembucker) are wider so they sit directly under the strings. If you put a standard spaced humbucker on a FR guitar, the poles will be inside the high and low E.

does it make THAT much of a difference?

edit: in sound i mean
If you consider even moving the poles up or down alters the sound, I can't imagine it's beneficial to have the poles off to the sides.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
If you consider even moving the poles up or down alters the sound, I can't imagine it's beneficial to have the poles off to the sides.

have you actually tried a standard humbucker in a floyd? im kinda worried its gonna sound **** now!
yeah, I've tried it briefly. I didn't really notice anything drastic with the sound, I'm sure you'll be fine. The only thing I noticed, was my high E seemed to be a little weak, but it could have been in my head since the spacing annoyed me.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I've tried it briefly. I didn't really notice anything drastic with the sound, I'm sure you'll be fine. The only thing I noticed, was my high E seemed to be a little weak, but it could have been in my head since the spacing annoyed me.

glad 2 hear the guy in the shop knows what he's doing so he should get it sorted for me, it just annoys me having to pay like £30 each time for them to do it.

when re-wiring pickups is it different for each model guitar?
does anyone know any clear tutorials, i have watched the ones on the seymour duncan site but you cant really see what he is doing and theyre different for different guitars...?
it's different for each pickup manufacturer how they color code their wires(ie. Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, BK, etc...), but the pickups are wired the same. When you look up your guitar, just follow SD's schematics by the number of pups, number of vol and tone pots, and your type of switch.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 12, 2006,
Quote by Erock503
it's different for each pickup manufacturer how they color code their wires(ie. Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, BK, etc...), but the pickups are wired the same. When you look up your guitar, just follow SD's schematics by the number of pups, number of vol and tone pots, and your type of switch.

i went on there a little while ago and it said about series wiring and parallel, what exactly does that mean?
£70 to install a pickup??! jesus christ, a soldering iron and a roll of solders less than half that
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
it's just how the pickups are wired together, it just gives you other tonal options. How many pups are you getting, what kind of switch, and how many vol/tone pots?
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 2