http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
hey... im looking for a new amp, since the only one i have now is a roland mini cube
so i was looking at my new musiciansfriend catalog, and i saw this one. has anyone played this (or have it)? it looks like it would be great by all the features and the fact that its all tube powered. but its only $400, and theres usually a catch when the price is that low... so i just decided to ask you guys

thankssssssss
fender blues jr. is $400 and it's great. i love mine.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I read a review of it in a magazine and heard sound samples. It sounds great. It's very versatile and has super-high gain. It may sound a bit compressed at extreme gain settings, but you're probably never gonna need so much drive. I think it's great.
^ the valve king is by NO means, a high-gain amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
^ the valve king is by NO means, a high-gain amp.

Agreed. It's nowhere near high gain. On it's own, it's not a good amp for heavier music. You need to be driving it with an overdrive pedal for that kind of breakup. But all around, it is a decent amp that sounds good.

And the cheap price is because Peavey have the VK made in China compared to its other amps that are hand made in the US.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I have one and I definately think you should get it. It actually does have a good amount of gain (I'm not a gain ***** so I dont know what you may want) but if you get it I would recommend the DOD 250 OD-Preamp as an overdrive pedal to go with it. Its what I have and it sounds great
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
the valveking has more gain than a blues junior, but agreed, it's not super high gain.

It's up to you really. the blues junior has an excellent clean, mild break up and overdrive up to classic rock. The valveking can do hard rock/80's metal (like maiden) on its own. and has decent clean too.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With an OD pedal could you do some metal that requires less gain? umm like not "KSE" smooth distortion but kinda an earlier lamb of god trebly kind of distortion?
Buying a Valve King is buying a solid state sounding amp, that happens to have tubes in it. If you're gonna spend money on that thing might aswell get a Vox ad60vt.

a Crate V30 is in the same price range, not granted it doesnt have as much gain, it sounds much more tube like.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?