I just learnt Under The Bridge, and for one chordI have been puting my thumb over the top to play a note. It is starting to hurt in the joint a bit when i do. Is this dangerous... I know some 60s players did it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Frusciante does it a lot, but if it hurts, Do Not do it! Pain is your body saying to you that something is not right. Take a break of one day or two with that pick.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
john fruscantie did it (i think) cos jimi hendrix played like that, and jimi had HUGE hands. Each finger was as long a moderately sized willy
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Last edited by mamakin87 at Jun 9, 2006,
I started my playing by learning a lot of Hendrix stuff, so I developed the thumb habit too.
If it hurts stop, stretch and try not doing it again. I personally do use my thumb over the neck, and I find it very comfortable. If it isn't for you, don't do it.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
I do it occasionally this is the first time its hurt only abit though. and I have frigen massive hands so thats not it. but thanks. Ill keep doing it and see if it was somthign else cus in never eally used to hurt before whe i did it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
I do it all the time, being both very Frusciante and Hendrix influneced.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I used to do that when I was first learning slap, but not anymore, although sometimes if I want to get a drone note going.but my hands are monstrous. I bet my hands are bigger than yours.
Let off using the thumb for a while. Slowly get back into it. If it never gets any better, stop doing it. If it gets easier and less painful, keep on with it. Every new activity we do requires some change... like if you start lifting weights one day, you're gonna be sore the next. But once you do it a lot, you never get sore --- and if you do, you should stop because your body says "stop it, asshole."
Looking for my India/Django.