Does anyone use or has used piccolo strings? How well do they sound and are they easier or harder to play on?
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
They're going to sound different. They won't, however, be any harder or easier to play than regular bass strings. Keep in mind that they will be considerably smaller gauges, so they will not have the boom that regular bass strings have. Also they will be prone to breakage from a hard slap and pop attack. Where are you planning on getting these from, I'd like to know because I wouldn't mind converting a bass to a piccolo for fun sometime.
i could be wrong but i would assume that piccolo strings have a higher pitch, since most piccolo instruments are more high pitched then their sister instruments (IE. piccolo is higher then a flute, piccolo trumpet is higher then a trumpet ect..)
Piccolo strings are for piccolo basses which are tuned to normal guitar tuning, the lowest 4 strings.

very pointless.
^No, they are not pointless. A piccolo bass is a bass tuned up one octave. They've been used frequently by such greats as Stanley Clarke. Not everyone wants to play bass the same you know. Some of us look for different sounds, different basses, and techniques to seperate ourselves from the pack. Just because you're closed-minded about what should be done on a bass gives you no right to try and shoot down what anyone else thinks of it.
Quote by Bumper
^No, they are not pointless. A piccolo bass is a bass tuned up one octave. They've been used frequently by such greats as Stanley Clarke. Not everyone wants to play bass the same you know. Some of us look for different sounds, different basses, and techniques to seperate ourselves from the pack. Just because you're closed-minded about what should be done on a bass gives you no right to try and shoot down what anyone else thinks of it.

where would you get these piccolo strings?couldn't you get a guitar, take out 2 of the tuners, get a new nut and bridge, and have a nice bass?
^Not exactly. A piccolo bass usually has a longer scale than a guitar. I gues though if you replaced the bridge, tuners, and nut then you could say, "Hey, I've got a short scale piccolo bass!" It wouldn't have the tone that a piccolo bass gets though.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi

couldn't you get a guitar, \

well you could, but even though i hate piccolo stings i have to defend them and add that you will NEVER be able to get a guitar to sound exactly like a bass or vice versa no matter how they are tuned
You can't spell slaughter without laughter
^ Well that's really the point isn't it? That they sound different, even if they're tuned the same... otherwise piccolo bass wouldn't have been invented.
If its an octave up, it tecnically wouldnt be a bass anymore. I cant think of a name for what it would be. I like the idea of it though.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Does anyone want to explain what piccalo basses are used for? It's all very well stanley clarke uses them but I can't see much point apart from guitar-esque fills, so if someone wants to prove me wrong, go ahead
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
NO use, bumper, there is absolutely no point besides making yoruself unique, but in reality shows that you are retarded (the person using piccolo strings)

Just strap a guitar and a bass together and play each when needed, there, unique enough?
Quote by metalstillsucks
If its an octave up, it tecnically wouldnt be a bass anymore. I cant think of a name for what it would be. I like the idea of it though.

Of course it's not a bass anymore. It's a piccolo bass.

IT gives you a different tone. Nothing else sounds quite like a piccolo bass, and some poeple absolutely have to ahve that tone. It's not exactly for me, I'd have fun tinkering with it though. It still can support the bottom end (not as well as a standard bass would, but it can).
Bumper, what gauge would you use? I've heard it's hard to get correct gauge as they can snap when bending. it does interest me a bit, i have to to admit.
bumper and Invictious, stop quabbling. i know inv is being closed minded about piccolo basses, but if it continues dan won't like it

i think

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
You guys posted hella crap, and STILL didn't answer the initial question! From whay I've read, none of you played picolo =) And that was the question.

Stanley Clarke plays picolo, that he does. But he is a master, a musically-educated magister. Melodic instruments require fluency in musical theory, and not just imitating others. I'd like to have a picolo, I can even see two songs where to use it. But I will still not use it to full extent, nor try to. It's more of a toy.

Like Chapman stick. 18 people in Russia got awesome on Chapmans. The rest that got em... er... you get the point. It's notable, that all those 18 were/are playing for more than 10 years, had musical education.

Or ER basses. It's not really a bass once you get beyond 5 strings, IMHO. It's more of 'groove-oreinted musical instrument'.

Most pro's play 4 stringed basses. ANd they play BASS, they are bassists. I'd rather be a master of four, than look pathetic with a 6+ stringed bass, trying to do some crazy bends and whatnot. Remember: music is to be heard, not seen.

And yet still no-ones explained to me what role a piccalo bass would have...
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
it's role is a lead instrument. It basically plays the same role as a guitar, just sounds a bit different..
Piccolo strings are usually 18-40 or 20-45 guage strings. Also bass players like Les Claypool and Victor Wooten(tunes his bass to a tenor A-D-G-C) use piccolo strings;bands such as Spiral Architect use a 5 string piccolo bass player.
I found that GHS as well as some other big name brands have piccolo strings on order for anyone wanting to try something new.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Wooten doesn't use a piccolo bass. Tuning your bass ADGC makes it a tenor bass, not a piccolo.
i said Wooten uses piccolo strings not a piccolo bass. In order to tune that high you need very light guage strings.
greenday1182
Not that light though. He doesn't use piccolo strings. If he did they would be ridiculously slack. The gauges used for tenor tuning are normally .95 or .100 through .30. That is much heavier than piccolo strings.
Quote by Invictious
NO use, bumper, there is absolutely no point besides making yoruself unique, but in reality shows that you are retarded (the person using piccolo strings)

Just strap a guitar and a bass together and play each when needed, there, unique enough?

warned. Your train of thought was "you don't believe what I believe, Imma call you a retard." Never call someone a retard and please try to keep your points to something other than "forcing uniqueness" when everyone else here was just saying how it'd be cool to hear that once in a while. Not OMFG THE GUY WITH THE PICCOLO BASS, HOW UNIQUE BUT CLICHE.

do not use the word retarded. You make my friend William Tew look bad.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!