I was wonderin if any of u bassists bought and played an electric guitar and also what made you change to bas? cos im thinkin of doin it myself.

thanx
ROCK ON!
I'm a purebred bassist, lol. my brother has a guitar that i dabble on but nothing major. gonna learn a few chords so i can write some songs, other than that im a bassist.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
You cant do anything with a bass. you cant establish chords, you cant write songs on it, and you dont make money doing it. switch back. All a bass does is support the low end of guitar players, and if you do more in a song than just that, you're showing off. And I'm willing to bet that nobody in the near future is going to become the next Flea, Claypool, or Kilmiester, so quit while you can. Thank you very much, goodbye.
Last edited by Autumn Shadows at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by Autumn Shadows
You cant do anything with a bass. you cant establish chords, you cant write songs on it, and you dont make money doing it. switch back. All a bass does is support the low end of guitar players. Thank you very much, goodbye.

Bull****. Bass is good just because the majority of people dont play it dosent mean it sucks. Bass is actually amazingly hard to get good at. Especially if you play with your fingers or slap bass.
Quote by Autumn Shadows
You cant do anything with a bass. you cant establish chords, you cant write songs on it, and you dont make money doing it. switch back. All a bass does is support the low end of guitar players, and if you do more in a song than just that, you're showing off. And I'm willing to bet that nobody in the near future is going to become the next Flea, Claypool, or Kilmiester, so quit while you can. Thank you very much, goodbye.

Are you just after some abuse or something? For a start the bass is the main part in establishing chords because without it you wouldn't have the bass note therefore couldn't tell what inversion the chord is or if its a slash chord etc, you can easily write songs on it since im the main song writer in my band and i dont have a guitar and i even write the majority of the lead riffs and all of the solos.....this is also the case in many other bands, and yes you can make money out of it, considering the low amount of bassists they are highly in demand for session playing, you can be making 100-200 quid a day quite easily as a bassist......guitar is overrated, thank you, goodbye
Last edited by Weebl at Jun 9, 2006,
I did play Bass for a period of time when we ran out of options there, and guitarists are ever plentiful. Its pretty easy to pick up the notes but rythm ends up getting tricky not to lock down but to keep, its more tiring than the guitar. Anyway... I ended up the only one that could sing a lick. Keep your guitar for songwriting.
Quote by Autumn Shadows
You cant do anything with a bass. you cant establish chords, you cant write songs on it, and you dont make money doing it. switch back. All a bass does is support the low end of guitar players. Thank you very much, goodbye.

Hmmm........Most of what you said was completely untrue. As far as chords go, you're pretty much right. Except you can play some powerchords on the D and G strings. As for the songs.....thats total bull****. The bass is just as capable of making songs as an electric guitar. When it comes to money..... you can still make money playing bass. The last thing you said about only backing guitars, thats bull**** too. Listen to some Metallica or The Who and then we'll see. Thank you very much, goodbye
For a start the bass is the main part in establishing chords because without it you wouldn't have the bass note therefore couldn't tell what inversion the chord

There is a considerably large difference between a bass note and a bass guitar, wiseguy. You don't have to play the bass note of a chord for it to be that chord, for example, I could play a variation of a C chord but put the C on top instead of the bottom, but that doesnt mean it isn't a C chord.

and i even write the majority of the lead riffs and all of the solos

You write guitar solos for your guitar player(s), and you're a bassist? Are your guitar player(s) that imcompetent??
Quote by Autumn Shadows

hmm, you're just asking for abuse. stop trolling.

*reported*

oh, and so 99% of bands have bassists that SHOW OFF?!?! god, alot of us hate root note abusers. almost all of my music collection has bass in it that stands out in some way. it may still follow the root notes, but they have this flair to them. when they do depart from the root for even a simple fill, it MAKES a song. what do you think made Hysteria so popular? its guitar work? Matt Bellamy is an amazing guitarist, but he just played simple on Hysteria, and Chris basically LED the song.

KTHNXBI
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Autumn Shadows
There is a considerably large difference between a bass note and a bass guitar, wiseguy. You don't have to play the bass note of a chord for it to be that chord, for example, I could play a variation of a C chord but put the C on top instead of the bottom, but that doesnt mean it isn't a C chord.

You write guitar solos for your guitar player(s), and you're a bassist? Are your guitar player(s) that imcompetent??

Dont try and sound all clever with that theory crap cos thats what i was implying with the bass, a guitar could play a C chord but the bass could be playing an E and have it in first inversion or add in other notes and completly change the overall tonality of the chord, maybe i badly phrased what i said there cos a guitar will obviously have to a have a lowest note in the chord its playing, but the bass can completly change what the chord is, and even though playing a full chord together is rare on bass, although it does happen they can outline a chord by arpeggiating it, or just adding in extra notes and changing the chord so they clearly can establish chords.............as for the personal attack on my band, thats complete bull****, they could own you any day given your attitude towards bassists you clearly can't be a very good musician or be in a band of any quality. Just because they dont write the music in the band doesn't mean they can't.......

EDIT: and on the actual topic of the thread ive been playing bass since i started, i occasionally jam on guitar whenever i get the chance tho
Last edited by Weebl at Jun 9, 2006,
Wow, you must be a complete moron. As both a guitarist and a bassist (bassist first, mind you) I know that both instruments are important in any band situation. Bassists can't play chords? Bull****. I play chords all the time. And no I don't mean power chords, real chords that I construct on my six string bass to emphasize points in the song, or simply fill up empty space. Steve Harris wrote most of Iron Maidens songs, and gee....he's a bass player. Cliff Burton wrote every good song Metallica ever made....he's a bass player. Seth Horan is an incredible singer/songwriter, and he does it all on bass. As far as bass players making good money.....Gee, how many good guitarists do you know? I know roughly a gazillion. Good bassists however? In my entire region of the US, I've seen almost every band from South Illinois to north Alabama and Georgia, and all the way from east Missouri to the east end of Kentucky and I've managed to find five or six good bassists. Those five or six good bassists easily make a decent living playing session gigs for recording studios. Why is it that ignorant guitarists think they know everything about bass?
Right, everyone else has had a stab, now it's my turn to shove in the knife. Autumn Shadows, you evidently do suck. NOOOOO respect for you, and that's bad, cos bassists give respect to everybody.... I play both bass and guitar (bass main... very main) and I have more fun playing bass than guitar. Why? Because getting good at it has been much more rewarding. I also write a lot of the music ideas for my band on the bass, and it works. We have a large repertoire of quality songs (IMO), many of them bass orientated (it has to be, in a three piece band). I bet I could pull off faster, more technical solos on my bass than you can on guitar.... even though you probably just got a guitar last Christmas and can play "Smoke on the Water" in 1/3 time.... and as for:

Quote by Autumn Shadows
All a bass does is support the low end of guitar players, and if you do more in a song than just that, you're showing off.

HOW IGNORANT CAN YOU BE? Obviously, to you, Mark Hoppus must be the best bassist ever. The best bassists know when to play roots, when to play more elaborately in order to shape the direction and emphasis of the song, and when not to play. Unlike you and your constant stream of semiquavers and dropped D riffs. Just because you have no true grasp of the instrument doesn't mean you can just run your mouth, sunshine. If it wasn't for the bass jumping in the background, music pwould be very bland today. And then, look at bands like Sly Family Stone and the Chili's.... a lot of their work was built around the bass lines, and they were very melodic and elaborate at times. And in the respective songs, if it wasn't for the bass, the song would have been ****e. Go back to your powerchords... GUITAR owerchords... and don't speak again. Or type. Or communicate in any way shape or form. You're just trying to be clever, because you realise that with your attitude, you'll never get anywhere in music. I've met a lot of pretentious guitarists in my time, and, even though you're not the worst, you still suck. Now try and learn "Smoke on the water" in 1/2 time.

And Autumn Shadows? dude, you some sort of Avenged Sevenfold fan or something?
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 9, 2006,
bass players are nessasery, but they only came about coz they got rejected by there guitar
I don't get the whole bass vs guitar argument. Both can be fairly easy to play simply, but are hard to get good at. Both can contribute to a song, and both are important. It's like saying the high hat is more important than the bass drum or the toms, you need 'em all.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
dude!! everybody can grab a bass and play a rootnote, but the real bassist knows how to make the music work, when to play and when to shut the **** up, just because you can´t understand bass doesn´t mean you can come here and talk ****. Humans are scared of what they don´t understand...
Quote by Alex2zulu
bass players are nessasery, but they only came about coz they got rejected by there guitar

Your just as ****ing retarded as the other guy, Lets see a guitar player bust out some victor wooten or jaco (arg damn wierd ass last name) its not gonna happen UNLESS they do play both, which good on you if you do. A bassline (a real bassline) is much more complex than any other guitar riff, try making the rhythme to a ****ty guitar lead, its not easy. If the lead good, its even ****ING harder to make a line.

One more thing. Have you noticed in most of todays music; that all guitar solos are just a bunch of scales. Listen bass solos today, not very many bassist use **** loads of scales for there solos, oh no there much more complex.

guitarist need to open there ****ing blind ass eyes, and learn that real bass isnt about playing a root note.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
Quote by Autumn Shadows
Obviously, you've never heard anyone walk a bassline.
Quote by watchingmefall
dude!! everybody can grab a bass and play a rootnote, but the real bassist knows how to make the music work, when to play and when to shut the **** up, just because you can´t understand bass doesn´t mean you can come here and talk ****. Humans are scared of what they don´t understand...

I agree. The haters are obviously "schooled" in theory and think that because the guitar involves MORE theory than bass that they are better musicians. NO. If these folks are so great, how come they are hanging out on message boards and not out on tour making the big bucks with their superiour knowledge.
I play guitar and bass equally well, and I like to play both equally. I play power chords, use a pick, slap, use my fingers and solo. Big deal. My guitar players encourage me to stand out and show off cuz it's fun and they aren't arrogant jerks, and no they aren't incompetant either.
Chief Rebel Angel
A few points that I'd like to share:

1) I've recently converted from guitar to bass, due to the departure of the band's bassist. He was excellent about holding down the groove, but just didn't want to continue playing. His loss, as far as I'm concerned.

2) I'm finding that bass is more complicated and necessary to the overall sound of the band that I originally believed. It's easy for a guitar player to just jam on some powerchords and the minor pentatonic scale - but it's not so easy for the bassist. At least, not if you want the song to sound good, anyway.

3) There should be a feature on this, and every forum, that allows users to block wannabe-trolls like Autumn Shadows so that we can continue intelligent discussion without inane interruptions.

4) In that I've been playing bass, I'm finding that I need to apply my knowledge of theory, the various scales that I know, and my sense of rhythm so much more than when playing guitar. I always respected the man who held down the bottom end, but now I'm starting to understand the true artistry and beauty that most people overlook.

That's all. Have a nice day, folks.
wow. That was absolutley stupid of that kid.

I went the other way. I started on bass and switched to guitar. Not because i like guitar more. I love both equally. But my band mates were struggling so i learned guitar to so i could write more parts faster. Not have to wait for a band practice. now that i play both theres no way i wish i started on guitar. My finger speed came from playing bass. And i love to finger pick some notes while picking others. Plus after i get a drumset this summer i'll be able to start my solo career. Since it's so hard to find a good band these days.
Quote by Freunleven
2) I'm finding that bass is more complicated and necessary to the overall sound of the band that I originally believed. It's easy for a guitar player to just jam on some powerchords and the minor pentatonic scale - but it's not so easy for the bassist. At least, not if you want the song to sound good, anyway.

4) In that I've been playing bass, I'm finding that I need to apply my knowledge of theory, the various scales that I know, and my sense of rhythm so much more than when playing guitar. I always respected the man who held down the bottom end, but now I'm starting to understand the true artistry and beauty that most people overlook.

Those are both excellent points. I can jam easily when I play my guitar with others. I'll jam a few chords and bust out a blues scale based solo and people will come away impressed. But I find pulling a unique bassline out of your ass is a challenge. Lot's of times I find myself playing roots until I catch on.
nah I started playing guitar after bass so I play both now
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by Autumn Shadows

Quote by Bumper
Wow, you must be a complete moron. As both a guitarist and a bassist (bassist first, mind you) I know that both instruments are important in any band situation. Bassists can't play chords? Bull****. I play chords all the time. And no I don't mean power chords, real chords that I construct on my six string bass to emphasize points in the song, or simply fill up empty space. Steve Harris wrote most of Iron Maidens songs, and gee....he's a bass player. Cliff Burton wrote every good song Metallica ever made....he's a bass player. Seth Horan is an incredible singer/songwriter, and he does it all on bass. As far as bass players making good money.....Gee, how many good guitarists do you know? I know roughly a gazillion. Good bassists however? In my entire region of the US, I've seen almost every band from South Illinois to north Alabama and Georgia, and all the way from east Missouri to the east end of Kentucky and I've managed to find five or six good bassists. Those five or six good bassists easily make a decent living playing session gigs for recording studios. Why is it that ignorant guitarists think they know everything about bass?

OWNED

After pointing out how you got owned by Bumper I pose a question to you...Do you think you will become the next mediocre, overpaid guitarist like, say, Zacky Vengeance, Synister Gates, Brian Deneeve, or Dan Jacobs?...or even Billie Joe Armstrong?...I'm willing to bet that in the near or distant future you will not attain half the talent (or lack thereof) of the mediocre guitarists mentioned above so quit while you can...And good luck making money or being in a half-decent band with that attitude...You're probably too ignorant to see your faults so I dont even think you'll read this but, whatever, it helps me sleep at night

And to contribute to the thread, yes I played guitar for about 6 months until I realized how much I loved bass and how some of my favorite bands had the bassists dominate the songs with well-written parts that sounded very unique and inspiring...And now I've played bass for about a year and a half and I joined a band like 2 months ago...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by Blink182-41
I was wonderin if any of u bassists bought and played an electric guitar and also what made you change to bas? cos im thinkin of doin it myself.

thanx

i play both guitar and bass and i would recommend that you dont switch instrumtents just learn how to play bass along with guitar it will help if you play with other musicians.
Quote by Autumn Shadows

Please Die
Quote by Autumn Shadows

I dont think that i need to tell you how wrong you are anymore coz' a lot of people have already done that...im just going to say...

Screw you bassist hater!
HUMP|de|BUMP
What? Bassists can't write songs?
How come Roger Waters wrote most of Pink Floyd's songs?
How come Steve Harris writes most of Iron Maiden's songs?
And should I mention Cliff Burton...

C'mon dude! You're one of the most ignorant persons I've ever seen