Poll: Are you ok with gory lyrics?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you ok with gory lyrics?
Yes, I'm completely fine with it. It's an enjoyable part of death metal.
80 83%
No, death metal bands should focus on putting more thought into lyrics that matter.
16 17%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 3
I'm just wondering: death metal has been around for a relatively short time and it's kept it's loyal fans throughout the roughly 20 years that it's existed. New bands are constantly coming out and the older, well known ones that have kept up till today are still releasing material with lyrics about none other than....gore. That's right. So, what I'm asking here is don't you think that by now they got tired of writing about getting dismembered and writing a message on the wall with your intestines? Personally, I've gotten tired of it. There is always the enjoyable band that you can relate to, like Death. Then there is the occassional band speaking up for their religious beliefs (but those lyrics tend to suck ass because the band is simply saying one thing: religion sucks). Still, we can't evade the gore that seeps through death metal and that's clearly going to be existant at least in grindcore. I love Necrophagist, don't get me wrong, but I just wish I could sing along to something that's not about fermenting discharge. It's not that the gore makes death metal what it is- it is simply the attitude that is put into the music and the mood that the listener gets that identifies death metal from everything else. With gore, you do it a bit, then you mature as a band I think. It's much better when you can connect with the lyrics or at least see the bands opinions and things they feel strongly about. Things that matter make a stronger effect.

So, my question to you is, would you like to see more thought out lyrics and less about gore or are you ok with the lyrics in death metal now?
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Jun 9, 2006,
It depends. Carcass and Cannibal Corpse are the OG's, and they sound awesome. Bands like Necrophagist are just great, and Epitaph doesn't have gore lyrics anyway (and it's better...). However, for all the generic CC clones, definatly not a fan of that stuff. I definatly prefer more thought out lyrics for the most part, but I can't picture a band like CC with anything else.
Totally okay with gore lyrics.

I'd like to borrow Stephen King's theory of why we crave horror movies for a moment:

Gore lyrics are the equivalent of the horror movie. People love to watch horror movies because we're naturally aggressive and love to watch people get killed. It's like the modern day lynching. Gorey lyrics take our minds and make us become like children and see things in blacks and whites. Not the deep, meaningful stuff adults seem to crave.

So, gore lyrics serve the same purpose as the horror movie. No deep, intricate plot. No symbolism. Just straight up gore and violence. That keeps our aggressive side satisfied so we don't have to go out and murder each other.
Well if you are looking for music to "sing along to" then maybe you should try something other than Death Metal? I have always liked extreme metal and I can see how when you are playing really heavy stuff certain lyrics would just be stupid, but I do find gore and bashing religion very tiresome. I think it's down to a lot of death metal purists not liking to stray too far away from what's traditional and in essence "safe". Still, in my opinion it's better than writing lyrics about warhammer and tolkein, or how your milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
Quote by chrisbeevor
Dude it's DEATH metal... somethings gonna die.

True, but was that just a name coined for it by Possessed? Sure it's aggressive. But does something ALWAYS have to die?

EDIT: to sweetleaf, yea I agree. But what I mean about singing along is when you're covering a song. It's not that I hate gory lyrics. They do satisfy my craving for more agressive things and it does add something to the mood when you can identify what the vocalist is saying. When you can't make out one word and it's just gore for the millionth time, is that really satisfying?
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Jun 9, 2006,
I don't really like gory lyrics but I guess I have accepted that it's a big part of certain styles of metal. A good example of this would be Cannibal Corpse, they've released like.. 12/13 (?) albums by now and they still stick to simple gory lyrics but I just accepted that that's their style and I guess I got used to it. Kind of fits the brutality of the music too but bands like Psycroptic prove that you don't have to write about gore if you're playing these kinds of metal.

I have much more respect for thought out lyrics but when playing brutal, uncompromising metal it kind of fits the mood to sing about raping and dismembering people.
yea I tend to agree with you. Nile totally breaks some of that stereotype thopugh.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Tis fine, but it would be cool if there were more bands that didn't.

For example, I REALLY like Nile's lyrics.

Cast Down the Heretic = Awesome.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Rewording the original question: Which do you prefer more?

It's because I'm ok with the lyrics, but I'd rather have the other option. Sorry for that.
I've found Jesus
Well, being a more intellectually minded individual.....I prefer more "thought out" lyrics.
.....but yes......I still like the gore.
Both are good, I dont really mind.

I think my opinion is summed up by the threadstarters avatar :P. Besides, I find gory lyrics funny. Especially Devourment.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
But without the gory murderous dying lyrics, would it be "Death" metal? It'd be like another category of metal of which there are loads of.
Thanks for reading
I really don't care. If they are there, great, I'm not listening to them, I'm just listening to the sounds they are made with
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Just look at your damn avatar, threadstarter.

With that being said, I must admit that I'm a little in-between. Sometimes I like 'em, sometimes I don't. I like "Bent Backwards and Broken" but I'm not too fond of "Orgasm Through Torture". It's different from song to song. I guess it's the extreme sexual perversion gory themes that I'm not really into
Last edited by -Alek- at Jun 9, 2006,
I get a kick out of the gore and just the reactions you get from people when they ask what you are listening to and you say "Embryotic Necropsy and Devourment". But I do love Deaths lyrics and other bands that stray from the gore theme. It doesn't matter since you can't understand most bands anyway.
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
I don't care. As long as you can't really hear it, it's just there, adding to the brutality.

Doesn't bother me.
Thus the name DEATH metal. It wouldnt be DEATH metal If there wasnt gory lyrics about DEATH. Who cares anyway, you cant understand them half the time
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
i don't mind the gory lyrics but i do enjoy reading those meaningful, somewhat poetic lyrics.
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
I don't give a ****.

Death Metal was always about that sort of stuff. If we did anything to the lyrics, it wouldn't be death metal anymore would it? That's what the other genres of metal are for.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
I don't mind at all.

Besides, I don't pay much attention to the lyrics anyway.

Edit: Theres many Death metal bands out there that don't have gory lyrics
roar
Gore is such a stupid topic for a song. There are definitely better things you can sing about.
Quote by gimme_fuel_89
Gore is such a stupid topic for a song. There are definitely better things you can sing about.
Please excuse me while I kill your mother and rape your dog.

...Or was it 'kill your dog and rape your mother'...?

Guess I'll just have to perform all of the above on both parties in question.
don't care either way. it depends on my mood. if i want to kill someone/am pissed off, then gorey lyrics are fine. if i want to sleep or something, they aren't ideal.

edit: ^ LMAO!!!
Gore lyrics really don't bother me. It's not like you can understand it anyways. Besides, I usually pay attention to othe musicianship in a song rather than the lyrics, since I'm not much of a lyric writer.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
who the fuck cares about lyrics. fuck lyrics. its about the music not the message. i say that because we are guitarists. we dont get a cd just to open up the lyric book and follow along.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Last edited by Bodom_Shredder7 at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
who the fuck cares about lyrics. fuck lyrics. its about the music not the message. i say that because we are guitarists. we dont get a cd just to open up the lyric book and follow along.
Second-best post I've heard all day.

First-best being this one:
Quote by SGRocker0791
John Petrucci = ownage
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

I vehemently disagree with this statement.
Quote by totenkopf
I vehemently disagree with this statement.

care to explain why? or you just gonna cry about it
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask

Quote by xolax

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
*sob*

Look, if messages "don't matter" than why the fuck do artists go through the trouble of writing lyrics at all? "The message" is an integral part of the music itself.......when a musician creates the lyrics, he's making a statement......there's an underlying worldview/set of ideas he's trying to convey. If "lyrics don't matter" you might as well stop writing them and just growl and scream without words.
oh, i see, youre one of those poet lyricist guys. i guess in my opinion, the music is the best part. i see the song as the big picture all the instruments come togethor to create a aweoms pice of music. lyrics arent music. i really dont pay attention to them. thats becasue im a guitarist. i like the notes and the melodies and harmonies. thats what i like about the music. therefor if someone wants to write about gore, christianity, sataism, nazism, i dont care.

this is IMO. i dont write lyrics, so i dont have much feelings fro them
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask

Quote by xolax

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
For the most part, I don't pay that much attention to the lyrics. If they're good, that's cool, and I'll like the good lyrics and what not, but lyrics are not large part of the big picture to me.
I like gorey lyrics. Come on, if you don't like CC, you don't like death metal.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Musicianship is obviously the most important thing, but lyrics still matter. They can give the music alot of meaning and help strengthen the mood.
Page 1 of 3