i want to paint a strat copy, bout 3-4 yrs old, and i have a few questions:

do i use laquer thinner to strip the laquer?

when i sand how much finnish do i take off?(or do i even sand?)

would spraypaint work fine on the body, and how many layers?

is it tru that you have to wait 3 monthes for laquer to dry? if yes is there anything thats quicker?

thanks for any help
Quote by Paddles
I feel sorry for the drummer, he gets stuck with a guitarist who can't hold a rhythm to save his life and a vocalist in the middle of a heavy-flow month.
if you wanna just paint over the body, scuff up the body with 400 grit sand paper, then get duplicolor (auto paint) spray paint and a clear coat for cars as well, with laquer you put it on then buff it out maybe 5-6 hours but not 3 months...

as many coats of paint as it taes to get the old color not to be seen,

good luck
so ill need clear coat, and laquer rite? and is buffing basically just rubbing it?

thanks, ur a lot of help
Quote by Paddles
I feel sorry for the drummer, he gets stuck with a guitarist who can't hold a rhythm to save his life and a vocalist in the middle of a heavy-flow month.
5-6 hours for the whole body to dry?!?
No way, you'd have to wait at least 2 weeks for all the paint to cure completely.
you can spray your layers every 3 hours, but before you start buffing and polishing wait at least 2 weeks, or else you'll still have an uber soft finish and you'll most likely screw it up.
If the weather is in decent condition for the paint, 3-4 hours between each coat shoudl be ok. But don't spray more then like 4 coats in one day when your doing clearcoat. You'll want to spray like 3-4 coats every day with 3 hours in between every coat, and after every 3-4th coat leave it alone overnight. Do that for a couple days, and you shhould have a thick enough finish to buff with.
If you only take off the clear, scuff the color, and then paint over that you will have to layer alot of coats of the new color over the old so it dont bleed throughm or chip and show the old color under the new. If you sand it all the way down to bare wood then you dont have to layer as many coats of the new paint and its just easier to do it right the first time by sanding it all the way down then rushing, scuffing the old paint, and painting over it. But as far as weather, it affects it some what i.e.; humidity and heat = bad paint job. But as long as the paint is dry to the touch and not sticky you can go ahead and put on another coat. Just be sure to snad it in between. It will take a few days but its worth it. Clear you want to spray a few coats on the guitar and as you start to wrap up on clear coating spray the coats evry 2-3 minutes. It will make it shine better. But I use Krylon brand spray paint so brand really doesnt matter its just a personal preference.

But on paint: 8-10 coats of color if its bare wood
Over the old color: 13-17 coats of color
Clear: 15-20 coats