So I'm thinking of upgrading my MIM Fender Strat with some Tex. Special pickups. I don't really care what genre they are for I'm just asking "is it worth it?" Are they good quality, how do they sound? Can I install them myself? The standard pickups on my guitar sound too thin, I want a thick pretty clean sound, also I would also like a good distortion (not overdrive) sound without loseing the strat sound. Will these pickups be of good quality?
They are good I'll grant you, but I think some Bill Lawrence strat pickups are better so i replaced mine with them. I can't remember the exact name of the pickup, but I'm sure they'll help you, plus they're cheaper. very Hendrix like.
Thanks for reading
Hahaha ^me too. nice....

I hear you have to use them with heavy guage strings to get the full effect. they sound good from what i hear
Quote by the_man101
im from texas ass hole

thats sterotyping

every one in texas is a stereo type," yeahoo oil"
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
^ Me three (to the guy above the one above me)

Yes they are good. I have them in my strat copy and they sound great. Like the guy above me said, you might want to up your string gauge, it really does sound better.

They aren't hard to install either. The thing I can't help you with is how they sound with distortion. I haven't really played with these pickups with much distortion, so yeah. I'm sure they will be good though.

EDIT: I use them more for blues music in the areas of Stevie Ray Vaughan and such. So if you are looking for that kind of sound, then get em.
Last edited by Alex S. at Jun 9, 2006,
they're too hot. keep your stock ones and get a tubescreamer. when your resonant peak gets up that high, you lose so much top end that its not worth it. the extra crunch can be attained otherwise
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
They're good, but Tex Mexs have better bang for the buck.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
for me you might want to put something a little hotter if you plan on playing anything heavier then SRVish level, they cant deliever a real deep crunch if thats what your looking for but are a real solid, john mayer funish tone.
"The shopowner and his son ... well that's an entirely different story altogether ... I had to beat them to death with their own shoes."
Lol, check out the Lindy Fralin pickups or the Van Zandt (The guy that made the pickups for Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughan). Ive heard the Texas specials dont give you the SRV sound. http://www.griblinengineering.com/van_zandt.htm
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by JET116
Hahaha ^me too. nice....

I hear you have to use them with heavy guage strings to get the full effect. they sound good from what i hear

Heavy gauge strings will improve any pickup.
Quote by thenexthendrix
for me you might want to put something a little hotter if you plan on playing anything heavier then SRVish level, they cant deliever a real deep crunch if thats what your looking for but are a real solid, john mayer funish tone.

Lace Sensor Red is very nice for the Bridge position if you want to get the fat/crunch approaching humbucking territory. I also have Texas Specials and have placed the one meant for the Bridge in the Neck position ... in combination with the Red Lace bridge, you get some interesting sounds.
Quote by mr_hankey
What guitar did SRV have Van Zandt's in?

I know the number one had the stock pickups for sure
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
I believe it was his wood colored one.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster