I've been playing for 7 years, and I think im starting to lose what it means to be a guitarist.

I play rythm for a band, and I'm good at it, but I still don't know what it MEANS to be a rythm guitarist. To me, it just feels like playing chord patterns and strumming patterns, palm muting, etc etc. It feels as if theres no real techniques for me to learn, but I know thats not true. I can play stuff like Master of puppets by Metallica, but I cant even do a 5nps solo, and it makes me feel kinda iffy about things, and I want to learn, but I keep trying to find a quick way out. I've learnt the box, and im getting better at it, but it feels as if theres no emotion to my rythm or attempted soloing either, and my skills are starting to get worse and worse.

Can anyone give me any good advice? Help me improve and start getting better?
Last edited by Duranix at Jun 9, 2006,
hah

I know we dont solo, but i would like to try, except whenever i do, its emotionless...

if its even coherent and not a pile of mess. And my rythm is starting to degrade too.
I play rythm in a band.

When i try to solo, i stay to a scale, but it does sound like i hit random notes.
Learn to play things that are slightly above your level. That's the only way you'll ever get better.

As for the soloing, take note of what chords are being played. Try and keep the notes you're playing within the chord being played, and it shouldn't ever sound bad.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Duranix
hah

I know we dont solo, but i would like to try, except whenever i do, its emotionless...

if its even coherent and not a pile of mess. And my rythm is starting to degrade too.

AHH done say emotionless!!!! no no no!!! although i take care of all guitar wizardry in my band (see name) Rhtmy guitar is much more important than lead. dont worry about lead, let lead worry about lead. u worry about rthym, lookit ACDC whos better?? angus?? NO! angus elder brother i say!!! many other examples, i dont wanna argue, but acdc would not be as good if not for the tight rthym gtar. also, even lead players know rthym is most important, when you write a song, do u spend all your time on the music, or just the solo???

Thats what i thought youd say. If ur good at what you do then just get better.
Thats another thing though, everywhere i look, i see very easy rythm parts, with hard solos tacked over.

My bands playing enter the sandman, and the rythm is just so. god. damn. easy. Can anyone point me to the direction of any hard rythm parts?