Okay folks, I've been playing for about 5 weeks and as a gift I received a copy of Guitar Pro 5 and a ton of Guitar Pro tabs. It's got so many bells and whistles I can't figure it out. I find the software tremendously confusing -- can someone give me a crash course in how this software and my 5 weeks of playing can work together as a team?
Well, open tabs in Guitar Pro, and basically, it plays them for you. That makes it a lot easier to learn a song when you have something that can play it for you and show you exactly how to play it. Easiest functions too, Green Triangle is play
ok,
once you get used to it guitar pro isn't that hard. Mostly you'll just stick with the guitar instraments for now( you'll figure the other ones out later by trying them).

Basically write the fret number on the corrisponsding string. Or if you rather use the acuctual notes, you can do that too. then you can add effects to the notes.
NH- natural harmonics
AH- various types ofartifical harmonics, pinch harmonics and semi harmonics
Next to that is HO- hammer ons and pull off which don't do much except to tell you when to do that
The arrow curved up is a bend
The V with x in it is a whammy bar
1/3 are slides
~ are vibratos, thick one is all notes, amall is a single note
cunsecutive /// going down is tremolo picking
PM is palm mute

These are the basic things, the rest will come with trial and error
Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?- Ron White
guitar pro is really great if you use the metronome, slowing the song down and playing with it has really helped me.
It's awesome software.. theres so much you can do with it. If you get stuck with a concept look it up in the help file. It's happened to me a ton and the help files are usually pretty comprehensive.
I have guitar pro 4 that i got 1 month ago.....i never took the time to figure out the thing...looks complicated...im not even sure what it does yet lol

dont you have to swap out for a special pickup to connect it to your computer?
I use a converter that makes the guitar plug change into a plug that fits the microphone jack for my computer.
Thanks guys--that will get me started! I got a little intimidated by all the instruments and functions of the program but since I'm still learning to read tabs I can see where this will be a big help.
Yes and since your just starting out. It will help you in your abillity to interept the tabs and playing the songs
My favourite thing about guitar pro is that you can print out the musical notation. After playing saxophone for years i found it hard to play tabs without timing but if you get guitar pro tabs you can see and print the musical notation.
ive been playong five months and i got GP5 and in my opinion it owns, with that i can play great songs or play along to my fave songs
Quote by skybl4ck
I use a converter that makes the guitar plug change into a plug that fits the microphone jack for my computer.

No, it doesn't work like that. It's only a tab program.
Quote by skybl4ck
guitar pro is really great if you use the metronome, slowing the song down and playing with it has really helped me.

Yeah, if I'm having trouble with a part of a song I'll isolate those few bars and use the speed trainer (F9 on GP4, presumably the same on GP5) to loop it at a low tempo increasing by 1 each time, maybe 20 times, then I'll set the base tempo 5bpm faster repeat, blah blah until I can play it at full speed. Very useful indeed.