The rolling stones thread has got me thinking about rnr in arenas and stadiums. Do you guys think a large venue is better than a small venue for a rock concert? could rock music in large venues really be considered rock n' roll music? in stadiums the sound is terrible unless you have good seats. and if your seats are far away, you won't hardly get any energy from the band. It also seems that most of these audiences don't go for the music, but just to hang out with friends and get drunk. what do you guys think?
I think a reasonably sized venue would be better. It provides a better sound, not too loud and its more intamite. I like venues where even the nosebleeds can see the stage and preformer very well. But I've only been to two (real) concerts (Bob Dylan, and Pat Metheny) which were both like that, so I can't really say for sure whether or not huge arenas are better.
Stadiums and arenas, for some reason, don't really put me in the concert mood.

I like to think of two places for concerts to take place - either small venues at bars, or larger venues in actual concert halls, such as the Royal Albert Hall, Fillmore East/West (the East is no longer existant as a music hall, however), etc.
My government teacher always goes to small venues, because often you get to meet the performers afterwards.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
^^Well, besides that, the people that go to smaller venues tend to be the bigger, true fans because tickets are a little more pricey.

This won't make the band feel like they have to play only their hit songs to be recieved welcomely from the audience.
I'd rather be in a place with 2000 people listening to a band.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i always thought it would be cool to see the stones in a bar or something, like the early days...
Quote by master
It also seems that most of these audiences don't go for the music, but just to hang out with friends and get drunk.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the phone! You mean to tell me there's other reasons to go see a rock concert?? Where was I when this happened!?
^^I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm unable to tell if you agree with the statement "You mean to tell me there's other reasons to go see a rock concert??"

If there's anyone with that opinion, what the hell is the point in going to the concert? I mean, it's one thing to go and see your friends and listen to the music, and it's another thing if you have a couple of drinks while you watch the band, but if you go to a concert just to get wasted then you have no appreciation and/or respect to that band because you're going to wake up in the morning and not remember anything.
Quote by Maet
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the phone! You mean to tell me there's other reasons to go see a rock concert?? Where was I when this happened!?

I think the main reason should be to go see the band. Why spend a hundred bucks on a concert if you can do the same thing at home. Bragging rights is the only thing that comes to mind.
The keyword in that post was Rock. I'm all for concerts, just not rock ones. I love going out to see jazz and swing ensembles, concert bands, orchestras etc.

With the exception of a few bands, it's very hard for me to consider any rock to be music. I find most classic rock bands to be a form of neo-bard. It's more for the message/lyrics, then the craftmenship. This analogy is likely very inaccurate though, but I really don't care. I've gotten about 12 hours of sleep in the last week.
Quote by Maet
The keyword in that post was Rock. I find most classic rock bands to be a form of neo-bard. It's more for the message/lyrics, then the craftmenship.

Fair enough, but how are you going to appreciate the message and lyrics and energy if you're getting drunk with your friends 200 yards away from the band?
Quote by master
Fair enough, but how are you going to appreciate the message and lyrics and energy if you're getting drunk with your friends 200 yards away from the band?

By not spending $200 on a concert ticket, and listening to the CD, or downloading the song. Duh!
^^A lot of bands give you more stuff live than what you can hear on the CD, though.

Yes, some concerts are recorded and you can listen to them over and over if you buy them on CD, but if you actually go to a concert (this is going to sound really corny and queer, but...) it's something special that you should appreciate having an opportunity to see.
On these forums there is a preoccupation with what other people think/do. ex. Why people go to a concert, what the masses think of popular music etc. etc.

Why are you all so concerned with what other people think/do? You sound like a ****ing sewing circle trashing Mrs. Jane Doe for wearing the wrong color to Church on Easter Sunday.

If someone goes to a concert to get drunk, it doesn't affect you. It doesn't change the performance for you. You get what you want out of it, and they get what they want out of it. Quit faulting others for an opinion other than your own.
Rig:
1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50
Marshall 1960 Slant Cab
VOX10T552 Wah
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
^^I'm not saying anyone has to listen to me, but I personally think that concerts are meant to be attented for the sake of enjoying the music.

Take, for example, you're playing a concert somewhere. It's a small concert, so you can see pretty much everyone, and in the back you notice a group of guys getting drunk. They aren't listening to the music or anything, just ****ing around and drinking.

How does that make you feel? I personnally would be pissed because, one, they might've wasted tickets for other people who would've wanted to see me/my band playing live. Second, they could be annoying other people around them who want to actually listen.

If you've got nothing better to do in life than get drunk, your life sucks. Simple as that. That isn't to say you can't have fun - if you want to have some drinks, have some drinks, but don't end up getting wasted and making an ass of yourself.
Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll

Alcohol causes a checmical imbalance which is the definition of a drug, erego Alcohol = Drugs.

It's really all part of the percieved lifestyle and subculture. You're average person goes to a rock'n'roll concert to get drunk (maybe because that's their way of enjoying music. Much the same way stoners think weed "enhances" music... fucking hippies....), and aspire to get laid later on that night.

It may not be pretty, but it's essentially the accepted truth of rock concert going for most people.
Quote by Billy Badass
If someone goes to a concert to get drunk, it doesn't affect you. It doesn't change the performance for you.
unless that person is sitting in front of you or next to you and is distracting you from enjoying the show.

Back to the question at hand...I prefer a smaller venue to arenas, and I prefer anything over a stadium. I've liked most of the arenas I've been to for a concert (Nassau Coliseum in Long Island was cool, I liked Wachovia Center in Philadelphia a lot, and of course, Madison Square Garden is a great place to see a show) but there are the places like Continental Airlines Arena in NJ that have baaad sound unless you are right next to the stage (which I happened to be a few rows from it, so that didn't affect me). I like smaller venues because usually most of the seats have a somewhat decent view of the performers. It's more of an intimate setting.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I mostly go to smaller venues. I may make exceptions for good live performers (someone like maybe Santana) but overall, I just have a lot more fun going to a place where I'm twenty feet away from the band with my friends. Especially good local bands; I feel a lot better knowing that my money is supporting someone I know, who doesn't make huge amounts of money off a tour.

I'll sometimes go to big concerts with one of my buddies, though; his mom gets free concert tickets from work so we sometimes go to certain shows. We might see Steve Miller just for the hell of it when he comes around (I think its in August).
Quote by psychodelia
I mostly go to smaller venues. I may make exceptions for good live performers (someone like maybe Santana) but overall, I just have a lot more fun going to a place where I'm twenty feet away from the band with my friends. Especially good local bands; I feel a lot better knowing that my money is supporting someone I know, who doesn't make huge amounts of money off a tour.

I'll sometimes go to big concerts with one of my buddies, though; his mom gets free concert tickets from work so we sometimes go to certain shows. We might see Steve Miller just for the hell of it when he comes around (I think its in August).

I saw Steve Miller in February. It was a great, great show. Defenitly go, dude.
If I were in a sweet band I would love to play an arena. I mean soooo many people screaming their heads off.... that would be amazing.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join