Page 1 of 2
There are approx. 1,000,000 threads for guitarists, bassists, drummers, vocalists, and Guns N' Roses for some reason, on UG's Classic Rock forum, but few(or none) for pianists, so which pianists do you guys like?

5. Ray Manzernak
4. Elton John
3. Allen Lanier
2. Billy Joel
1. Jerry Lee Lewis
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Dave Brubeck > Everyone.

EDIT -- I know he's jazz, but the fact remains.
Doesn't Bruce Springsteen also play piano?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Hopefully you aren't being strict on just pianists, but...

Gregg Allman - The Allman Brothers Band
Brent Mydland - The Grateful Dead
Keith Godcheaux - The Grateful Dead
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan - The Grateful Dead
Chick Churchill - Ten Years After
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
Jon Lord - Deep Purple
Rick Wakeman - Yes
Elton John - Elton John
Ray Manzarek - The Doors

That's enough for now.
Johnnie Johnson + Chuck Berry = God
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Ian Stewart anyone? ..played piano for the Stones...played on Rock'n'Roll and Boogie with stu by led zep
^^Yeah, Boogie with Stu is a great song.

However, when I think of The Stones I tend to think more of Mick Jagger singing over guitars with drums and bass in the background, occasionally accompanied by some odd instrument belonging to Brian Jones. I never tend to think about nor care much for the piano in their music.
Ray Manzarek
Rick Wakeman
Richard Wright

My top 3 favorite keyboardists
MySpace
Quote by syyz1
You're right, I mean, I can imagine eating children, but listening to good music seems a little too much. You, Iruleeverything, are the master of torture.
Dr. John is an excellent blues pianist, didn't he accompany someone who sang "imagine" at the opening ceremony of the winter olympics? did he sing it?
Billy Preston owns.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Since when CoB and Dimmu Borgir has become classic rock?

but my favs are Jon Lord and Rick Wakeman
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Rich wright from floyd
The guy from the doors
Freddie mercury
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Quote by -AliceCooper
oops i forgot freedie mercury, and john paul jones, but mostly,

EDDIE VAN HALEN!

EVH sucks at piano, almost as much as he sucks at guitar.

Not to mention all he can play is synth chords.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

ed sucks at guitar? he influenced an entire generation with his two handed tapping, and also had some of the greatest leads in my opinon, he may not be best, but dont say he sucks...

Quote by -AliceCooper

ed sucks at guitar? he influenced an entire generation with his two handed tapping, and also had some of the greatest leads in my opinon, he may not be best, but dont say he sucks...

Don't get me wrong, I Van Halen pre spamburger hagar, but all of Eddy's solos sound identical, not to mention he came up with the idea of two handed tapping on the toilet. And he wasn't the first, he was anything but. And what generation did he influence? Very few would put down EVH as a major influence, unless they liked playing identical solos all the time.
Quote by CornLord

i would put evh as a major influence, i think all the techniques he used like in little guitars, where he constanly play fast open on the high e and then taps notes on the low e, or in cathedral with the volume sweels, no one was doing stuff like that in the 80s...
Quote by Derigiberble
Don't get me wrong, I Van Halen pre spamburger hagar, but all of Eddy's solos sound identical, not to mention he came up with the idea of two handed tapping on the toilet. And he wasn't the first, he was anything but. And what generation did he influence? Very few would put down EVH as a major influence, unless they liked playing identical solos all the time.

hm.... if by "on the toilet" you mean "by stealing it from ace frehley", then yeah

and I see what your saying they all mostly start with a bend lick, get fast, tap, fast, bend, done.
Billy Powell.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Quote by -AliceCooper
i would put evh as a major influence, i think all the techniques he used like in little guitars, where he constanly play fast open on the high e and then taps notes on the low e, or in cathedral with the volume sweels, no one was doing stuff like that in the 80s...

I like Eddie, but to be honest, some of the stuff he plays just seems... I don't know, random.

For the most part, his solos seem to have no direction, they're just random wankfests sometimes.

Even though they sound cool, they do usually sound the same.
Rick Wakeman is awesome. And, as expected, I like Rick Wright's keys in PF.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by rayIII
hm.... if by "on the toilet" you mean "by stealing it from ace frehley", then yeah

lol yup, he was on the toilet when he decided that he wanted to use it in songs though.
Quote by CornLord

Freddie Mercury is an underrated pianist. He's definitely one of the best, IMO.
Member #4 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
Pigpen- The Grateful Dead
Gregg Allman- The ABB
Ray Manzarek- The Doors
Rick Wright- Pink Floyd

mmm love me some organ
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
No Jon Lord?
Member #4 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I like Eddie, but to be honest, some of the stuff he plays just seems... I don't know, random.

For the most part, his solos seem to have no direction, they're just random wankfests sometimes.

Even though they sound cool, they do usually sound the same.

i guess its an aqquired taste, i mean, i think there awesome, its just crazy, but in a good way...
^^Well, I like Van Halen, but they're one of those bands that I have to listen to in portions.

I get occasional Van Halen obsessions, but I don't listen to them much.

Quote by distilledspirit
Steve Winwood

How did I forget Steve Winwood?
Quote by rayIII

And Steve Hackett did it before him... and no doubt someone else did it before him.

Quote by Jesse Mrau
*cough**cough* Keith Emerson....Rick Wakeman

Right on.
Jon Lord.
Verden Allen.
Ian Hunter.
Founder Of "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub.
PM me To Join.

Quote by RHDIII
as we all know emo music is basically rock and roll fully evolved to its highest potential

wtf?
Page 1 of 2