I know this was done with Vox v. Cube a couple months back, so we decided to replicate the experiment. Now, we don't have the comfort of a completely controlled environment like our predecessors did -- both \m/metallica\m/ and I have different mics, different guitars, etc. etc., and I don't play any metal and he doesn't play blues, so this is just for the sake of doing it, really.

The Battle Begins: http://voxvsline6.dmusic.com/

Keeping that in mind, no critique of ability or song choice is necessary or desired. Hell, I threw together my four clips in 10 minutes just a little while ago. And I don't know about my esteemed colleague, but I played mine a bit shift on the fly - no effects, no adjustment of EQ, mostly bridge pickup (I couldn't get the recording to stop sounding bassy even though the amp isn't sounding like that...oh well).

So enjoy And if you want more samples or whatever, let us know. I won't say we'll jump right on it, but if enough people ask, I don't see why not.
Hi, I'm Peter
what was the method of recording? direct?
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Umm...well, I ran a SM57 into my old Tascam 4 track into my PC with Audacity. I believe metallica ran his through his PC mic into Audacity.

After listening to his clips, I should've worked on mine a little more Oh, and I need to learn some metal songs, apparently. Hell, I need to practice. I haven't practiced in 8 years or so...heh.
Hi, I'm Peter
I was digging the Vox's boutique clean. Very nice. I liked the 80s channel too. Sounds great for early metal/hard rock. But the Vox ain't got the GAAAAAAAAAIN! And generally sounded quite thin in some clips. Espescially the Tweed clip. And I hate thin. And the Numetal setting was just...ugh.

As for the line 6, metal = instant Metallica. Pretty sweet. I'm not as crazy about the Insane channel, though I can see its appeal. I was pleasently surprised by the cleans. Didn't enjoy the blues setting that much though. The blues just calls for a certain...smoothness I guess I would say, the Spider II just doesn't have. Tubes for blues! But who buys a Spider II for the blues settings anyways?

Overall: I think I'll stick with my Cube 60
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Its weird, I can get MUCH heavier sounds on the numetal channel. Maybe you just werent trying to do metal?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
No, I CAN'T do metal. Heh. I just can't. I don't know any, never been interested in playing it. Maybe I should learn some Sabbath or something. I was having a hard time getting the amp to sound on the mic like it was sounding to my ear. It had a bit of reverb (which is strange because I had the effects off -- maybe this has to do with the mic not liking the metal grille? I don't get that with my Boogie) and it was a lot bassier than I was hearing. About the thinness of the 4x10 channel -- yeah, I know. That was really just my mistake, using the bridge pickup. The Tweed 4x10 is one of the harder ones to EQ, also, because they try to make it essentially work like an old Bassman (no gain control, no mid, etc.)

And to my esteemed colleague - nice chops, man. I guess that's what happens when you practice I wouldn't know
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 10, 2006,
Hm, thats basically what my AD30VT sounded like - garbage with any kind of gain. If mine wasn't defective, I don't see what the appeal of that amp is at all.
TBH it's very difficult to judge clips like this. Like you said, different guitars, different recording equipment, different conditions, etc. But there's also the fact that tone is in the fingers.

To get a decent comparision you've really gotta own both amps.

With that said, I prefered the cleans and blues clips on the Vox. But I disliked very much the insane/nu metal and rock/early metal clips on the Vox. Like you said, you can't play metal very well, which could be a factor, but I honestly prefered the sounds on the Line 6 - a bit more brutal.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I liked the vox for the clean and blues chanels, but for the high gain ones, I would probably have to go with the Line 6. Thats why I chose my amp over the vox. I couldnt get a decent hi gain sound while playing it at the store...
Seems like neither amp can handle high amounts of gain. Not well, at least.

EDIT: Haha Dirk, you sigged me? I'm honored that you picked me over the rest of the suck-ups
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Last edited by auranos at Jun 10, 2006,
Alright guys. Dont let dirks recordings of high gain steer you away from getting the vox. Id do it myself but my computer mic is garbage. I get amazing sabbath sound from using the uk modern channel(which is not the highest gain channel) with the gain on 50percent! You just need to increase the volume. Also Increase the treble and bass and decrease the mids. Also add compressor.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
I guess the Line 6 is okay for metal, but the rest of it just sucks.

I quite liked the Vox, even though it doesn't really have much gain or so.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

im thinking about getting a vox soon and i was wondering, can it get some classic metal randy rhoads and sabbath kind of tones? i mainly like classic bluesy rock tone but i was wonfering how versatile this amp is because ive heard it is. and if i do end up getting one what pedal could i get that could give me some metallica fade to black and master of puppets kind of tone?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Thank god, i found people who think Line 6 doesnt suck completely. I have mine to play metal, and it does a good job of it.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by Dirk Gently
And to my esteemed colleague - nice chops, man. I guess that's what happens when you practice I wouldn't know

Thanks yeah i practice a ton! you're very good at blues as well, if you put those clips out there in just about 10 minutes, im pretty impressed

About the Insane and metal channel, I prefer the insane because it gives me a little more UMPHFFF, although it does sound really muffle,
and on the blues channel, there are 2 different channels, and 2 different twangs, so i didn't really know which one to choose since i really dont listen/play blues
Last edited by \m/metallica\m/ at Jun 10, 2006,
i have experience with a spider II, and the effects on it are very nice. the price isn't too steep either, so i, myself, would go with the spider II.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
^^ I wouldnt say i would go with one, but for a beginner's use, i think they're great amps, but hey thats just me. I have only been playing guitar for 2 years, and i got my amp last year, so to me, it was a great amp.
blues: vox pwn3d. line 6 was horrible

clean: vox pwn3d. line 6 was pretty crap.

early metal: line 6 sounded pretty good. A little digital, but def. not too bad.

Vox: hmm, didn't know clappo and jimi were metal, lol.

I'll give it to the line 6. the line 6 was a bit over gained, while the vox was a bit under-gained... the vox sounded good, just not really "metal". even early metal...

High gain: line 6 again sounded pretty metal. Again, a bit digital, but sounded metal.

Vox. eww.

I give it to the line 6 again.

This is based purely on the clips, which I realise weren't scientifically keeping all the variables constant.

Nice work, dirk, and \m/metallica\m/!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, that's what i disliked about the line 6 (the 15 and 30 watters) when i tried it ages ago (only at very quiet volume, so the high volume problems which the guys who don't like it complain about weren't apparent)- it had 4 channels, and 2 of them were aimed at metal...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, don't blame me for Hendrix and Clapton being under "Early Metal." That's metallica's fault
Hi, I'm Peter
i have the vox and i can get some pretty heavy tones out of it. much heavier than a line 6 and i can say that because i had a spider. i sold the spider to buy the vox. best decision i ever made. if you know what your donig you can get some very HEAVY METAL sounds out of a vox. it has 6 diff distortions dont say it cant get heavy.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
I also started out with the Line 6 Spider II 112 and after a few months I traded it in and got the Vox AD30VT. I am really happy with that decision because the cleans sound so much nicer, and although I cant have as much gain as I did with the Spider, it still sounds a lot nicer, and more tube like, whereas the Line 6 sounded like a piece of **** with medium to high gain. The Vox is a much better amp in my opinion.
If my Vox AD30VT was not defective, I'm going to flat out say, the amp is pretty much garbage.

The AD50VT I tried, and the AD15VT my friend has, however, were a lot better for gain tones.
The AD15VT and AD30VT and AD50VT are they exact same as far as modelling goes....the 50 has a celestion speaker and the 30 and 15 have Vox speakers.
Wierd. They sounded much better than the gainy tones in these clips, and the one I personally owned.
cool comparison guys

I figured the Vox would smoke in the blues and clean stuff, but I gotta admit, I thought it would do better in the high gain than those clips. The Line6 took it pretty easily. Where are the Cube people to throw down?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Call me tone deaf, but I prefer the Spider II over the AD30VT in these clips.

(I'm referring to the Metal clips, because that's basically the only thing I care about in an amp)
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Last edited by PunishedOne at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by PunishedOne
Call me tone deaf, but I prefer the Spider II over the AD30VT in these clips.

(I'm referring to the Metal clips, because that's basically the only thing I care about in an amp)

Ýou are not tonedeaf in thinking that.
Quote by electrik
Ýou are not tonedeaf in thinking that.

The Blues part sucked for the Spider II, but I actually preferred the Clean for the Spider. The Vox sounded like it was an acoustic.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I liked more tha line 6 than the Vox. For me its quite digital sounding but in this clip sounds pretty damn good. Do you have the eq on the Line 6 Metal Clip ???
bleh, the high gain on the vox gets way better than that. the u.s. high gain setting on the 60 and 120 watt versions slays.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
bleh, the high gain on the vox gets way better than that. the u.s. high gain setting on the 60 and 120 watt versions slays.

Amen.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
I just picked a high gain channel at random and went with it. And I didn't use any effects.
Hi, I'm Peter