Page 1 of 2
figured I would post the mods I did on my GCB-95 last night, since I've seen so many people pissed off with the crybaby like me. I hated mine, so I never used it. I got inspired after reading That Pink Queens sig, so I ordered my parts. Simple mods to make the GCB-95 paper weight usable.

I used this page for the most part: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html

I did about every mod he had listed. A couple values of mine are different, but only because I didn't have the exact value listed, they were pretty close though.

I got most of my parts from Small Bear Electronics online and http://www.diystompboxes.com

PARTS:
DPDT switch for true bypass, $8.50
resistors and caps approx. $2
*optional(not needed, but worthwhile IMO): red or yellow Fassel inductor $16-17

This is my original board out of the wah pedal.

This is the board with the buffer circuit removed, and the stock 600H inductor and parallel resistor removed.

This is the board with the buffer circuit removed, all my new resistor values in place, and a new red Fassel inductor. I used a slightly lower value for my new sweep capacitor than he recommended, and a lower resistor for the gain mod.

This is the whole thing back in the pedal chasis with a new Carling DPDT switch for the true bypass. The original switch was a Carling SPDT.

I made a clip of the wah thru my GNX4 just before I starting working on it. Unfortunately, the quality and playing is rather poop since it was really just an afterthought, and it's using a multifx box. I thought of it just before I started working, and decided to do it quick for my own benefit. I wasn't even sure it was going to work, lol. It's easy to hear the difference though, the only thing that changed was the wah, everything else is the same for the "after" clip.
http://erock503.dmusic.com Listed under GCB-95 mods. Before mods and After mods.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Omg, that was a major improvement, so much more vocal sounding and thicker.

I need to do this to mine.

also what cap, resistor, pot values did you use?
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Last edited by Funky P at Jun 9, 2006,
yeah, if you have a stock el cheapo crybaby, it makes a very noticable difference. Everything is reversible too if you want. You don't have to even take out the whole buffer circuit, all you need to do is cut a trace. I just figured it was cleaner without it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I want to look into this...

what kind of tools do i need and is there any way i **** it up?
haha

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
It's not hard at all. You use a soldering iron, and solder braid. I used a $12 Radio Shack 25W iron. You heat up the braid with the iron, and it sucks the solder into the braid. Simple. The only way you could mess it up is probably heating it too much. It doesn't take a lot of heat, it's very small components and amounts of solder. Other than that, everything is reversable really.
amp clips
amp vids
hmmm after looking at the diagrams, it looks like all you essentially do is remove a bunch and add one single wire? haha dope.

ill definatly look into it once i feel like ordering a new switch for my GCB-95

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
yeah, that's for the true bypass mod. You don't even have to remove everything, you can cut a trace on the bottom, and pull up a resistor near the input to connect the wire. The rest is just pulling and replacing.
amp clips
amp vids
wow, I have no idea what it means from the technical standpoint, but it sure as hell sounds a lot better and alot more usable!

Homer approves
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361378
There's a picture of how the it is with parts highlighted for anybody interested.

Nice clips man! I'm looking into a Fasel too, but I can't decide wether to get a red or yellow Fasel. Sounds good though.

(And this should be in the GB+C, but this is such intense n00b educational material, I'm leaving it here for now...)

Peace!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^What mods did you do?

IMO mine still has a bit more of an abrupt sweep than I would like.

The circuit is basically exactly the same as the Vox wah, etc...
I'm guessing the pot is at fault. A new pot may be in order for me.
sorry Pink, you can move it if you want. I did all the mods, lol, I was bored. I purposely went with a wide sweep. I could go with a smaller cap maybe, but it sounds good.

I also have a yellow Fassel, so I may try that out eventually. The red is supposed to be smoother.

Quote by Funky P
also what cap, resistor, pot values did you use?

I used the values listed, except a 57k parallel resistor, and a .02 uF sweep cap. Everything was the same.

Quote by Funky P
Homer approves

amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 10, 2006,
Alright, I'm moving it now. Enough n00b education for today I guess

And I never heard that about the red Fasel being smoother...thanks for that bit. I'm hopefully going to sell a few pedals, and when I do a new pot and a new inductor is up on my list. Mine sounds pretty good now, but I guess it could just sound a bit more saturated(Hah I'm bad a describing sound.)

*Moved*

This is probably the most retarded question you'll get, but I'm new to all of this...how do you get the circuit-board out of the pedal? lol. I see only one screw, but it won't come out..and I think there's other stuff holding it in too :S:S
Also how did you install the true bypass switch?? Also when I put my vox on heel up it has a terrible static sound. How would I fix that.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
Also how did you install the true bypass switch?? Also when I put my vox on heel up it has a terrible static sound. How would I fix that.

the switch is easy, it installs the same way you would install a volume pot in a guitar. You can adjust how hard it is to turn on the wah by where you position the switch. The sweep and vocal mod seems like it would help that. There are instructions for the Vox pedal in that link I posted too.

Quote by holyspacemonkey
This is probably the most retarded question you'll get, but I'm new to all of this...how do you get the circuit-board out of the pedal? lol. I see only one screw, but it won't come out..and I think there's other stuff holding it in too :S:S

there is that one screw, then each of the 1/4" jacks has a nut you need to unscrew on the outside of the pedal.
amp clips
amp vids
The screw won't come out..I think there's a nut on the underside of the circuitry, but I can't get to it. And the nuts on the outside..you mean the ones on the sides? They don't seem to want to budge lol..I'm doing nothing more than scratching them a lot :S.
well, if it's the same as mine, it screws right into the metal wah chasis. The nuts are on the sides. I've circled the parts I'm talking about in red. The nuts for the jacks are on the outside of the pedal. I used a socket driver to get them off. I circled the wiring jack in blue, it just unplugs right from the board.
amp clips
amp vids
For any people with vox pedals, the exact same mods can be done. The circuitry is exactly the same pretty much, after you remove the buffer.
wat mods can i do with just a screw driver and a kitchen nife im serious !!!
Quote by GuitarJunkie
i look down upon men who dont masturbate on a regular basis..they are helping perpetuate prostate cancer..and they are lying if they say the dont

now its time for me to go reduce my risk of prostate cancer.

wats a swell pedal and how do i cut out the 4.7uf capacitor can u show some pics?
Quote by GuitarJunkie
i look down upon men who dont masturbate on a regular basis..they are helping perpetuate prostate cancer..and they are lying if they say the dont

now its time for me to go reduce my risk of prostate cancer.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Nothing any good. Cut out the 4.7uF capacitor to make it a swell pedal...
To do anything worthwile you need a soldering iron.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm
Just through I'd throw that out there, really good link.

Very cool, I wish I saw this one earlier.
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm

I think I'm going to add the LED mod! Thanks bro
amp clips
amp vids
^IMO the LED mod isn't really worth it...just makes the battery drain way faster, and I prefer batteries in a wah, because an AC adapter is more likely to cause hum.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^IMO the LED mod isn't really worth it...just makes the battery drain way faster, and I prefer batteries in a wah, because an AC adapter is more likely to cause hum.

hmm, didn't think of that, good point Pink. Too bad, it would be a handy feature.

I kind of like all the adjustable mods he has listed on that page too. Have you tried adding trim pots or adjustable switches to change mods? I have a monolithic cap in the sweep spot now, would I notice any degredation using something like an adjustable ceramic cap?
amp clips
amp vids
The adjustable caps typically have pretty low capacitance IIRC.

If you want to make it adjustable, try hooking up a large value cap and a small value cap to the two outer lugs of a pot, and then use the center for the total capacitance...

Bad explanation, I'll draw you a pic.

EDIT:

Like that/
oh, I understand, neat idea!

Why aren't more of the adjustable mods made available as pots to the oustide of the pedal? I noticed that most of them were trim pots. It would be pretty cool to have that sweep pot, a gain/bass/mids pot, and a pot for the resistor in parallel with the inductor. If you left a resistor in series with the pot, could you still keep them usuable based on their 0 value being just the series resistor?

edit: wait, so I would run the starting lead to Y with the 2 caps, each connected to one of the outer poles, and then use the middle pole as the end lead to the circuit?
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 10, 2006,
^Yep exactly, you're basically panning/mixing between the large and the small since parallel caps add.

I have a 100k pot in series with my inductor. I don't really use it much, I just leave it on 100k for really vocal. I think its because you find your favourite wah sound, and then stick to it really. They don't need to be adjusted.

I really like my wah/volume pedal toggle switch though, that thing pwns.

Would you say your inductor made a big difference? Or did you do all the mods at once so you can't tell how much of an impact it had?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Yep exactly, you're basically panning/mixing between the large and the small since parallel caps add.

I have a 100k pot in series with my inductor. I don't really use it much, I just leave it on 100k for really vocal. I think its because you find your favourite wah sound, and then stick to it really. They don't need to be adjusted.

Would you say your inductor made a big difference? Or did you do all the mods at once so you can't tell how much of an impact it had?

excellent, thanks Pink

I did all the mods at once, so I don't know how much of a difference the actual fassel made. It's like a completely different wah though with the combination, it's a very big difference from the stock sound. I read that the 600H stock inductor Dunlops uses was sometimes a lot higher, and contributed some mud to the original sound. I also saw the good wahs all had good inductors. If it had a lower stock value like the Vox, I may not have bothered.

EDIT

Quote by That_Pink_Queen

ooooh, nice
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 11, 2006,
haha, I blame you for this pink

the voicing mod is adjustable by toggle, the gain bass mod is adjustable by toggle, the sweep is adjustable from .01uF to .0223uF using a pot, but I think I'm going to go higher, and there is now a volume/wah toggle.

amp clips
amp vids

It gets addicting eh?
I like the wire to, makes it nice and neat.

Mine is still c00ler though, because I have purple!

YESS!

question, can you put up a picture of the back of your PCB board showing where to solder the fassel

ive got a crybaby thats down for the count and this seems like a good idea to throw at it to see if i can bring it back to life.

thanks
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
I don't have a pic of the back, but you can see it in this pic. I've circled the connections in red for a regular 2 pin fassel.

amp clips
amp vids
cool, now for my main question, whats a fassil?
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
It's spelled Fasel
inspired by this thread, I just made the "hendrix model" switch, lowering the frequency a bit... i also boosted the mid-range, and made it more vocal... true bypass when i get around to ordering the switch....

the difference is incredible... so much better
Page 1 of 2