i was thinking about getting one, can anybody give me so info on it.

Ive heard Kirk Hammett has used one can anybody tell me on what song's or album?

and ive been told it's not worth it without a tube amp.. my amp has 1 pre-amp tube is it worth getting at all? and if not is there a pedal with a similar sound that would work with a solid state amp?
You need a full tube amp for a overdrive pedal to work right as they overdrive tubes to get more gain. Kirk used a Tube Screamer on all his solos. For a pedal for metallica stuff look into a Maxon Sonic Distortion or Jekyl and Hyde
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
You will pretty much just get a blues tone if your amp isnt ALL tube...
so for you, it would be a pointless investment
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
thanks for the help, i might end up just investing in a tube amp. the built in overdrive on my amp isn't that great, i'm starting to get sick of it. and i have a Fuzz face but i don't like using it on every single song my band plays.
and ive been told it's not worth it without a tube amp.

Depends on the tone you're after. I run a screamer into a solid state (boosted by a Bad Monkey) and I get a perfect Malmsteen tone.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Warhead666
Sorry this is a noob question, what does a tube screamer do?

Tube Screamer is the name of Ibanez' famous overdrive pedal. Like all overdrive pedals, it pushes a tube amp into distortion.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ Dont tube amps have distortion anyways?
Quote by haveaniceday233
no im not the typical kind of guy who wants to play fall out boy and all that shi*t its pretty gay so no i wouldnt sell out

Quote by hardrock1315
Yeah, selling out totally changes your sexual preference.
but lets say your amp is a 100 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb, your going to have to crank it to get distorted, but if you have an Overdrive pedal you can get a cranked sound at a low volume.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by Warhead666
^ Dont tube amps have distortion anyways?

Yeah. An overdrive drives the tubes harder without coloring the tone, giving you more distortion than you'd have with the amp alone.
Actually, an overdrive pedal pushes the tubes in the amp's input stage (preamp) harder causing more drive. So usuing an overdrive in front of a hybrid (as long as it's not w Vox), you're doign exactly that - just like a tube amp. Now, how much that will 'improve' your sound, I don't know. It will give you more gain and chunk, but not necessarily in a good way. Again, it depends on the amp.

However, I would suggest that if you don't like your amp's distortion, you'd be better off with a distortion pedal rather than an overdrive.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor