whats the difference between different k pots? i heard stuff like 250k and 500k. whats it all about?
oh and i plan on rewiring stuff. as you can see. i don't know much. if you think i need anything else to know about, feel free to tell me.
"usually" 250k volume and tone pots are used for single coil, 500k are used for humbuckers in guitars. The higher the value, the brighter the pickup will sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah, teh higher the rating, the brighter the sound from the pickups will be. Humbuckers are normally pretty muddy and bassy, so that's why the 500k is used to brighten up the tone and make it sound decent. Whereas the sc is generally trebley by itself so less brightenign is needed so a 250k is adequate for a sc.
are there different pots for tone and volume?
or can you just get the same pots?
what are tone caps? and what's the difference between their numbers?
can i use any switch? on my guitar i only have a hum but i'd like to switch between the two. i don't think there are any 2 way switches, so will any other switch do?
potentiometers or "pots" are basically variable resistors. If a pot is 100k, the maximum resistance it can provide is 100k ohms, if its 250k, the max resistance is 250k ohms. I cant believe no-one has explained the simple meaning! You have to know what pot will match the current and voltage of the circuit you are making. Pots are all different because the max resistance is different.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by dr.doctor
are there different pots for tone and volume?
or can you just get the same pots?

pots can be linear or audio taper. Audio taper works with the human ear since it's a log scale. If you use linear, the changes seem abrubt to the ear. I've always been told to use an audio taper pot for the volume. If you use linear, it seems too sensitive at the ends with no range in between. I've used audio taper for my tone pots too, but Ive seen linear used too.

whether a pot is used as a vol or tone is determined by how you wire it.

what are tone caps? and what's the difference between their numbers?

they are just capacitance values which determines what frequencies get attenuated. The most common ones I've seen on guitar electronics are .022uF and .047uF. They are usually used on the tone pot to determine how it bleeds off the treble.

can i use any switch? on my guitar i only have a hum but i'd like to switch between the two. i don't think there are any 2 way switches, so will any other switch do?

as long as the switch fits in the guitar you can use it. You can use a 3 way switch, the middle position just becomes both pups. You could also use a push/pull volume or tone pot, which acts as both a pot and a DPDT switch.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 14, 2006,
okay. so i understand that 250k pots are used for single coil pickups. and 500k for the humbuckers.

there aren't different pots for volume or tone, just the matter of how you wire it. audio seems the way to go.

a 3 way switch is the best way; upper, both, then lower.

but which tone cap do you use for what? i understand it's on the tone pot, but how can i tell which cap to use and what effects it will have? what's the difference between .022uF and .047uF. based on guitarfetish, it seemed like .047 were for teles and strats, and the .022 are for lp's. is this true?

i'm thinking that there are two types of tone caps, the ceramic disk and the sprague orange drop tone caps. whats the difference between these two and are there any other types of caps?
Caps are treble pass filters, the high the value the more treble will passed to the ground and boost mids and bass. Lower values will retain more treble as you roll off the tone pot.

There's also film caps which i forget what they're made of, but i'd go for the orange drops.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
not sure if it's anything beyond preference. I use .047 in my humbucker guitars, with what "I" think are good results.

there several kinds I'm not sure of, but I think the metal film are generally considered good quality for audio applications.
amp clips
amp vids
^In guitar circuits the cap type is irrelevant. Just go cheap ceramic or film.

A log(audio taper) pot is preferable for volume because it gives a linear volume rise to the human ear.

A linear taper pot is better for tone because it has a consistant sweep.

As for different values this is how it works:

A pot will ALWAYS be bleeding something off to ground. Even at the maximum of a 250k pot, there is still some signal attenuation. Usually the most noticable effect of this low scale attenuation is treble loss. Using a 250k pot helps bleed off treble, hence the use in Strat and other single coil circuits.

Therefore, the higher the value you go, the less will be attenuated. A 500k pot will bleed less signal to ground, as the resistance is higher. The signal has 500k of resistant material to go through before it goes to ground. You can even use a 1meg pot for a super clean(few freq. loss) control.

As for capacitors, the higher the value, the more bass is let through. A .047uF lets more bass through than a .022uF.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
okay then. so .047uF seems my fancy.
but is it a gamble for caps? is it like .047 is bass at the expence of high, and vice verca for .022? or is it a less noticible, not-too-important change?

as for linear and audio taper, if i can't find a linear taper pot, is audio fine? is it a big difference? i can't find any linears, just audios. or do you know any reliable site i could shop for some good electronics?