I just tried out a Triple XXX today and although it sounded good, it was buzzy as hell. I thought maybe a tube was busted, but I knew that Triple XXX are extremely noisy. Is this just me experiencing the noise issue? And does anyone have some good EQ's I can try out on it? Particularly one that might sound Marshall-esque?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
The buzz is coming from cheap cables/electronics in the area. A noise gate would fix it.

Why would you buy a XXX if you wanted a Marshall sound?
Well, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want a DSL50 or XXX. The XXX has the versatility I want, but the Marshall has that classic Marshall crunch that I love. I think I'm going back to try out the XXX again and asking the store to hook me up to a XXX cab and with higher quality cables. The only thing I definitely preferred over the XXX was the Marshall's cleans.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X
Well, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want a DSL50 or XXX. The XXX has the versatility I want, but the Marshall has that classic Marshall crunch that I love. I think I'm going back to try out the XXX again and asking the store to hook me up to a XXX cab and with higher quality cables. The only thing I definitely preferred over the XXX was the Marshall's cleans.

The XXX is great if you like bright highgain metal sounds. You really dont hear it shine till its cranked on the ultra channel with the mids at around 7. As for cleans, turn the volume down on the guitar, and use a high master volume and a low channel volume. It helps.

Im currently selling mine, as id like a darker sounding amp(5150).

Dont hesitate to buy one, they rule.
I'm probably going to be using the amp for mostly hardcore and some punk. And occasionally blues, because my band is into doing free jazz and blue interludes. Would this suit my needs?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X
I'm probably going to be using the amp for mostly hardcore and some punk. And occasionally blues, because my band is into doing free jazz and blue interludes. Would this suit my needs?

It will pull hardcore tones perfect.
Punk like Belvedere will also be easy achieved.
The blues will have to be on the clean channel with the channel volume turned up, but it will do it.

Over all, the only tones i cant pull are Fender cleans, and Dimmu type distortion.

Im selling my XXX head and XXX slant cab for 1000 plus shipping if you are interisted.

Its a great amp.
For punk, I was thinking more towards poppier punk, such as ALK3 and Blink. The "hardest" punk I might play is The Bouncing Souls. Eh, I don't have the cash yet. I'm buying the XXX and rewiring my Behringer combo to function as a 2x12. How does the XXX cab sound? I was thinking about buying a Carvin 4x12 that's supposed to be similar to the Marshall 1960 cab. Any input on that?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X
Eh, I don't have the cash yet. I'm buying the XXX and rewiring my Behringer combo to function as a 2x12. How does the XXX cab sound? I was thinking about buying a Carvin 4x12 that's supposed to be similar to the Marshall 1960 cab. Any input on that?

The XXX sounds fine, but it lacks in the bass department. If its the Carvin Legacy your talking about, go for it.
Quote by TheFluffy
The XXX sounds fine, but it lacks in the bass department. If its the Carvin Legacy your talking about, go for it.

I was thinking of the SX or MTS series 4x12's. The SX has speakers that are a variant of the G12-T75 that are 70 watts and it's a total steal at $350. I was also considering either a Marshall 1960A via Ebay or (very reluctantly) an Avatar.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Last edited by Ambulance X at Jun 10, 2006,
Also, I neglected to put this, I've also been looking at an Orange AD30 head, possibly buying it off of MusicToyz.com, because of the return policy. There are no Orange dealers around me, so I'm pretty much using artists who use the AD series as a reference for Orange's tone. Any input on the XXX vs the AD30?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
AD30 is a GREAT AMP, and Orange amps are very well made.
peavey XX is good also tho
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
Well, any good Marshall-esque settings someone can give me for the crunch and ultra channels to mess around with?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
^ pretty much just put it on the crunch channel and push the mids up there. it wont sound like a marshall. i have one and it's a great amp, altough i don't think it does what you're looking for. the DSL will have more than enough gain for hardcore, and there's always the option of using a boost.

the XXX won't do blues
it wont do classic rock
it does punk alright.
exceles at metal/high-gain.

but again, it doesn't sound like you'd be very happy with it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
If you want to get the Marshall tone so badly, just get a marshall. I have a feeling that when you get the XXX you'll be too hung up on getting a "marshall" tone and never using the peavey to is potential and really appreciating it.
I have two beefs with Marshall: one is the fact you pay a lot for the name and two, you can only really get the Marshall tone out of it. I love the tone of the DSL50, but I don't want to be confined to one tone. I was kinda leaning towards a buying a Single Recto via Ebay because it's simple and has everything I want, but I am yet to try it out.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
well recto's give recto tone. youll be just as confined to that one tone as a marshall.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Just kind of what I heard through the grapevine via the boards and guitar techs, but I've heard that the Recto can get that kind of Marshall "vibe", if you get my drift. It won't nail that tone completely, but it'll get that awesome crunch.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
^ ahh, goog call danno.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09

the XXX won't do blues
it wont do classic rock

Lies

Blues can be dont with the clean channel overdriven

Classic Rock can be done with a OD9
^ imo, the clean sounded like ass when i tried cranking it. both channel and master volume. thats the part where i agree with the XXX sterility statements. 0 life.

and it wont do classic rock on its own.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^ imo, the clean sounded like ass when i tried cranking it. both channel and master volume. thats the part where i agree with the XXX sterility statements. 0 life.

and it wont do classic rock on its own.

Bah, its because you have a combo and combos suck.(joke)

But i really know nothing about blues, so maybe it sucks for it...i really dont know.
you want noisy get a 6505,but there only noisy when your not playing,so dont stop playing.
Quote by jnl
you want noisy get a 6505,but there only noisy when your not playing,so dont stop playing.

I have come to the conclustion, that you are a moron.

Why would someone want a noisey amp?

Why would someone want a amp that you cannot stop playing?
with a name like fluffy i've come to the conclusion that your a homosexual.
Quote by jnl
with a name like fluffy i've come to the conclusion that your a homosexual.

Im glad.

Seriously, its a thread asking about a XXX and you come in and tell him to get a 5150 because its noisey and you cant stop playing it witout getting alot of noise.

Have you tried turning down the gain? a noisegate?

You know nothing about eather amp. Leave.
hey fluffy,your mom called she wants her boyfriend back.
jnl, fluffy > you. stfu.

ben, i have a blues jr to compare it to for blues. and the XXX failed, miserably.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Ambulance X
Just kind of what I heard through the grapevine via the boards and guitar techs, but I've heard that the Recto can get that kind of Marshall "vibe", if you get my drift. It won't nail that tone completely, but it'll get that awesome crunch.

No.
Quote by gpderek09
jnl, fluffy > you. stfu.

ben, i have a blues jr to compare it to for blues. and the XXX failed, miserably.

Meh, my XXX is perfect for how much blues i play. (none)

Quote by jnl
fluffy plays a squire...... i have proof.

Actually, on occasion i do. Its a Anniversary Affinity Strat. I generally play it when im messing around with Hendrix, or just sitting on the couch. Normally the Gibson is being played.

Quote by jnl
hey fluffy,your mom called she wants her boyfriend back.

My mother has been boyfriend free for 27 years.
^I banned JNL for you guys.

I played an XXX, it was dead quiet. Bad tubes I'm guessing, music stores don't change the tubes often for some reason.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

I played an XXX, it was dead quiet. Bad tubes I'm guessing, music stores don't change the tubes often for some reason.

How did you like the XXX?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Or maybe you didn't have it up loud enough/enough gain and presence to get the hiss to come out.. Its there
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Or maybe you didn't have it up loud enough/enough gain and presence to get the hiss to come out.. Its there

Or maybe your a XXX hater

But i agree, its there...but there really isnt too much..at all..
Well, for an amp of it's gain it was pretty damn quiet IMO. A bit of hum going on in the background, but really, not very much at all compared to most amps. Granted, it wasn't cranked, but sounded pretty good to me.
As for how I liked the amp, I can't really say. It wasn't really my cup of tea, but it could easily be someone elses.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
It really seems like the threadstarter wants somthing like a DSL combo or JCM900 combo (both with an overdrive), he'll probably be happier with them than an XXX.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Eh, I'm not too big on any of the Marshall combos. I think I've narrowed it down to a Single Recto, JCM900 4100, JCM900 SL-X or a DSL50. My friend played a Schecter Elite 006 with an EMG in the bridge through a JCM900 4100 when he played in a band and I loved it. I'm using Thomas Erak from the Fall of Troy's tone from their self-titled EP for a reference to what the SL-X sounds like. I really like that heavy tone he gets out of it. The Single Recto and the DSL50 are the only two I've actually tried out. I really want to be able to get a heavy sound out of it for hardcore, but I don't want it to be muddy. Here's the settings I'm playing on my amp right now (not in o'clock): Bass: 9 Mid: 4 High:10.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Last edited by Ambulance X at Jun 12, 2006,