So, I'm jsut about to finish my GCSEs and have a long summer ahead, and fancied starting my own project.
I've got the body, and have been looking at electronics. I understand everything just have a couple of questions.
Shielding - Putting foil type stuff inside your guitar to stop inteferance, does this have to be done?
Earthing - From when I look, you should solder earths together and connect them to the tremelo plate....surely that will connect to the strings and if it shorts a current will run through you if you touch the strings?
Pots - Are volume and tone pots the same thing, but you jsut solder a capacitor to the tone one? And if so, how?
I'll be using two swineshead humbuckers, with 500k pots and a 0.01 capacitor if that helps!
Thanks in advance, Phil.
.....Glow In The Dark Condoms.....Rise And Shine....
Quote by thepower
So, I'm jsut about to finish my GCSEs and have a long summer ahead, and fancied starting my own project.
I've got the body, and have been looking at electronics. I understand everything just have a couple of questions.
Shielding - Putting foil type stuff inside your guitar to stop inteferance, does this have to be done?
Earthing - From when I look, you should solder earths together and connect them to the tremelo plate....surely that will connect to the strings and if it shorts a current will run through you if you touch the strings?
Pots - Are volume and tone pots the same thing, but you jsut solder a capacitor to the tone one? And if so, how?
I'll be using two swineshead humbuckers, with 500k pots and a 0.01 capacitor if that helps!
Thanks in advance, Phil.

Shielding is optional. You basically do the foil stuff, and then ground the foil.

Grounding the tremolo plate is a good idea. If your amps filter caps blow or something, yes, you can get currents through the strings. Current produced in the guitar can't harm you though obviously.

Pots-Preferably the volume will be audio, and the tone, linear.

And .01 uF might not be that effective, try a .22 uF cap.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Right, fair play thanks!
With the pot, on the tone one, on the diagram I have, it seems to suggest that you stick to capacitor on the third terminal, but then as if you solder the other end to the actual shaft of the pot?
Hhhmmm, confusing!
Thanks, Phil
.....Glow In The Dark Condoms.....Rise And Shine....
Yeah, one end of the cap to the terminal, and the other end to the case of the pot. Then from the case, you take a wire to the grounding point (case of the volume pot).
These go to eleven...