Ok, so I know there are a bazillion of these threads around but I read through most of them and they just don't give me a good picture of what would be good for me.

I'm looking for metal. I'm in a band. We play metal. My playing en sich is influenced by Iron Maiden, and most recently Vai and Malmsteen, but my band plays the metal you could describe as 'Viking' Metal or even 'Melodic-Death' Metal.

Ok, obviously I'm looking for an all-tube, high gain monster with preferably different channels for the sake of solo'ing. I'll be using it for gigs and at band-practice, home practice will probably just be my SS Spider II (No, I'm not proud about it, I know it's rubbish). I'll be playing an LTD with EMG's (81/85) Price is, as of yet, not really an option since I'm just going to work and save untill I can afford it.
Keep in mind I'm in Holland, so not everything may be as equally available here.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'm not really looking for any sarcasm or non-constructive posts, thank you.
Last edited by Y00p at Jun 10, 2006,
Look for an ENGL Powerball, which is the absolute Juggernaut, Bitch for metal.

You can get one for about 1500 shipped from Germany, but you'll still need a cab.

Otherwise, try Diezel, Bogner, and maybe even Marshall JCM900 reissues.
Quote by Danno13
Look for an ENGL Powerball, which is the absolute Juggernaut, Bitch for metal.

You can get one for about 1500 shipped from Germany, but you'll still need a cab.

Otherwise, try Diezel, Bogner, and maybe even Marshall JCM900 reissues.

I have heard alot about those indeed, and they are on my list, but from the clips I've heard they sound really Nu-Metal, which I don't dig...
Could you get proper metal sounds out of them as well, as in some scooped sounds, even an Amon Amarth kinda sound?
Absolutely!

I don't think they're nu-metal at all, they're very bright and articulate.
Quote by Y00p
I have heard alot about those indeed, and they are on my list, but from the clips I've heard they sound really Nu-Metal, which I don't dig...
Could you get proper metal sounds out of them as well, as in some scooped sounds, even an Amon Amarth kinda sound?

Eh, you say they sound Nu-Metal? You need to hear some more clips, man!

I get a pretty sweet Amon Amarth tone outta my Powerball..

But, if you're really into Melodic Death, older stuff like Gothenburg era (at the gates, dark tranquility, arch enemy, in flames) you should check out a 5150. I get a pretty good Amon Amarth tone, as well as the other melodic death bands listed, out of either amp, but the 5150 has a bit more girth for rhythm playing, whereas the 5150 is great for a tight lead tone.

EDIT:

Where have you been going for clips? I'd reccomend a bunch from Rocksolidamps but if you've already heard em then thats a no-go.

Edited for danno. Its 3:30 and jack daniels is kicking my ass. I apologize.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

EDIT:

Where have you been going for clips? I'd reccomend a bunch from Rocksolidamps but if you've already heard em then thats a no-go.

Ehm, I can't honestly remember. It was a link in another thread about Metal Amps, something like Soundbytes or something...?

Edit: Well, the Nu-Metal probably came out of the EQ then.

Edit 2: The 5150 series, from Peavey IIRC, what do they go for? I figure, American made, quite hard to come by or import here in Holland...
Last edited by Y00p at Jun 10, 2006,
Well heres one of a classic corpse song, that shows its more br00tal side

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/CC%20Powerball%20HSF.mp3

tbh the powerball even sounds a bit gutless in that song, must be the guitar

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/BLS%20PB%202.mp3

a BLS clip.

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/Starlights%20Fury%20solo%20clip.mp3

My favorite, a Jag Panzer clip. its the Powerball for the lead and a mix of Bogner Ecstacy and the Powerball for Rhythm.

EDIT:

Peavey 5150s go for about 500-750 used, the new model (renamed 6505) retails about $1000 a pop, thats in the USA. I'm not sure about european prices, but I'd say that its probably comparable to the ENGL (if not cheaper) in price.I own both and they're fantastic.

The Powerball is pretty versitile as far as tonality goes, its got great cleans, a decent blues tone, throw some OD on that and you've got a nice 80s/hair/crunch, ch3 offers a rhythm and ch 4 gives you full on lead. If you buy the Powerball make sure to get the Z-5 Footswitch, too.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 10, 2006,
Ok man, you've won me over, it's on my check-it-out list for sure now! Thanks.

I play a pretty wide variety of music and it has yet to let me down. Having a couple of different guitars helps, for sure..

A nice big mahogany guitar for a thicker tone and something like alder or basswood for alittle bit more cut/brightness.
Versatility is a good thing for sure.

So I'll be checking the Powerball and 5150 out when/if I get the chance then!
Any other options?
You could always look at a Mesa/Boogie, they're legendary in the metal world.
Current Gear
-LTD M-50
-Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifer
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
-Peavey Rage 158