How do I move further along the fretboard yet keep in key? Nobody has ever explained it to me and he truly pisses me off because I want to know how to do it to further my knowledge of music...
Quote by human-blasphamy
Didnt MCR do that song The Gay Parade It went like this
when I was A young boy
My father took me to the bedroom
and told me not to tell
using scales.... its a bit hard to explain it in a few words
but try to take the key you want to play in... and play only in notes wich are in the distance of a tone tone hald tone tone tone half
like... if you start with the key A

A B C# D E F# G# A

use only these notes.... but all over the guitar..

thats a major scale... there others but start with this one
Try learning different scale positions up to the 12th fret. Then after the 12th fret, they repeat. So when you learn one position, you're effectively learning two positions.
Quote by PsychoFreak
How do I move further along the fretboard yet keep in key? Nobody has ever explained it to me and he truly pisses me off because I want to know how to do it to further my knowledge of music...

Do you have guitar pro? There is basically a scale library in it and you can have it display all the notes in the key on the virtual fretboard. Learn all the positions of a major and minor scale in one key then transpose when you need to play another key. So for example if you learned C major and you want to play D major, adjust positions 2 frets higher.
Hope this helps.
I think the most important thing for you would be to learn all the notes on the fretboard. Once you know that it is easy to apply your scale/key theory.

Like Drone_ says, I found the easist way to do this was to stop thinking in scale boxes and to start thinking in keys and notes.

For example I would choose a key, lets use C major - C D E F G A B - for ease. Find a C note and start there. Now work your way up the string following, again as Drone_ said the 'Tone/Tone/Semitone/Tone/Tone/Tone/Semitone' formula on one string, naming each note as you go. Try doing this on each of the strings, then crossing between strings - focusing on learning which notes you are playing. As you get more confident move further around the fretboard - then you can try using another key. Eventually, with practice, the names of the notes will become second nature.
Try searching this forum, I believe there are some good ideas on learning the fretboard here.

Good on you for wanting to improve your musical knowledge!

Learn those notes!
Thanks people!

But does the scale shape change when I move up a string?
Quote by human-blasphamy
Didnt MCR do that song The Gay Parade It went like this
when I was A young boy
My father took me to the bedroom
and told me not to tell
^ The point is to stop thinking in shapes, and start to think in terms of notes and pitch.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club