Alright, I'm looking to buy a new bass sometime in the future, maybe by the end of summer, I'm working my ass off for money. I was looking at this beauty. The specs on it are awesome, and its got an awesome price tag. Only problem is, I've never seen, nor heard of this company. Has anyone played one? How do they feel and sound? Thanks!
so it's true... taste is a matter of opinion..

I have no idea where to get that bass from...
Quote by Aidy Damage
There are countries outside of America and music other than metal

Member of The White Stripes club
Conklin makes amazing instruments. I think it's important however to have a great amp to play them through. What kind of amp and guitar are you playing now?
I've heard a lot about Conklins, but only the high-end ones. They're pretty well known for making ridiculous basses such as 9 strings and 3 octave neck'd basses.
Heres the link to the bass site
But, again, I've never played a 'regular' Conklin
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
Quote by Bumper
Conklin makes amazing instruments. I think it's important however to have a great amp to play them through. What kind of amp and guitar are you playing now?

Well, my whole rig is:
Vantage 4 string fretted (with SD Bassline Quarter Pounder P&J pickups)-->Boss Bass EQ-->EhX Double Muff Fuzz pedal-->Ibanez Weeping Demon wah-->Line 6 Echo Park delay-->SWR LA15 amp
My amp isn't any kind of high-end Ampeg or Gallien Kruger, but it isn't any kind of crappy like a Fender Rumble. It's decent though.
I guess if you won't be playing in a band or anything then it should be fine. You should get the Conklin.
If you were to play in a band then I would definently seek soemthing much larger than the LA15. At least a half stack, of decent quality. It's just difficult to play live gigs with combo amps, they're never loud enough, sound quality is usually compromised, and it's generally difficult for a 115 combo to hold it's own against 100watt tube half stacks.
^Dude, I'm 15, the chances of me landing a gig where I would need more than 100 watts or solid state power. I would mike everything anyways, and remember how bass frequencies travel. Quiet up close, louder the farther back you go.
Hey, when I was 15-16 I played quite a few gigs where there were upwards of 300 people in attendance. Most of the time the whole "louder as the go farther" thing doesn't help. When you're playing a show and you've got 100 people lined up right in front of the stage your bass waves don't have much room to get louder.
I FINALLY GOT MY CONKLIN!!!

its great. ive never plyed such a thin neck. the bartolini pick ups have such a smooth bottom end, and the treble respoinse is unbelievable. i hate replacing my hohner, but my conklin is my new baby.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by Bumper
^What kind of Hohner did you have?

5 string v bass
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by Bumper
Hey, when I was 15-16 I played quite a few gigs where there were upwards of 300 people in attendance. Most of the time the whole "louder as the go farther" thing doesn't help. When you're playing a show and you've got 100 people lined up right in front of the stage your bass waves don't have much room to get louder.

Well, maybe if I start gigging, I'll sell the SWR and get a half stack. No way I am getting tubes though. Too heavy and I don't trust tube either.
unless your bass is ****ty beyond compare though, i think that a better amp will improve the sound a helluva lot more.

remember: crappy basses thru great amps sound good, where great basses thru crap amps sound horrible.

but if its a matter of "my current bass is hard to play / has tuning issues/ want to move up to 5 string/ has only one pup" etc, where you really do need a new bass to not be limited, then yeah conklin lol
Quote by MastaBassist10
^My amp's fine, I just want another bass, for more options, ya dig?

then you've made a wise desicion young one. ive had mine for 3 days now, but still cant get over the versatility. i can play blues right into a claypool line into some reggae and the tone will accomodate me for all of them. the slap swich is nice too so you can have your mids how you like them, then entirely cut them and boost the bass and treble to get a nice slap tone without touching your eq.

going for the groove tools 4 or 5 string?
Quote by Mr. T
Quote by crazypeanutman
then you've made a wise desicion young one. ive had mine for 3 days now, but still cant get over the versatility. i can play blues right into a claypool line into some reggae and the tone will accomodate me for all of them. the slap swich is nice too so you can have your mids how you like them, then entirely cut them and boost the bass and treble to get a nice slap tone without touching your eq.

going for the groove tools 4 or 5 string?

4 right now, but depending on my how much money I'll have in what amount of time, I may go for a 5 string.
It should be a good buy, if you've got the cash (this one's a particularly cheap model, lol). You might not be able to unlock the instrument's full potential with your equipment now, but in any case, it's a very good instrument that will allow you to grow.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
^I've going for playability, sound is always second. LIke I said, when I start gigging, the I may get a bigger/better amp if I need one.
im guessing with a nice setup, since its conklin, the playability should be fantastic.
i'm playing my conklin groove tools 5 string that i got from musiciansfriend right now. it's seriously the best 5 string i've played under $1000. i love the neck so much, its so thin and fast. the bartolini pickups really sound amazing, too. the only thing i would change about it is it's weight, it's pretty heavy. i love it though, the 5 string model is really worth the extra price!