Page 1 of 2
Im buying a vox ad50vt today and i wanted to know if it sounds like an acctual tube amp w/ the sustain and stuff

thx
and if you have any other amp suggestions please say them
i play classic rock
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
people say the vt is great, i even tested one once, it sounded really great,and versatile. im not sure what tube amps generally sound (except that they're supposed to sound great) so about that i dont know
Yeah the advt range has a great reputation for mimicking tube sounds, but there is always noticable difference between modelling and real tube tone because it, by it's very nature, doesn't actually involve tubes. It's like how tofu can be made to taste like meat, but will never be identical because it just doesn't contain any meat at all, they've just tried to simulate the flavour using something else.

None of this is to say that the advt isn't a great sounding amp, but it can't provide you with perfect tube tone. Plus, modelling amps don't smell half as nice.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Jun 10, 2006,
its got a 12ax7 tube so yes it does sound like a tube amp because it is pretty much half a tube amp. I have a vox ad30vt (the ad50vt is the same thing, just louder) and it is easily the best amp on the market for the price by far. the tone on it is amazing and you can even get a heavy metal tone out of it as well. it is so versatile. it would be perfect for the classic rock that you play. i highly recommend it.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by shakysam
Plus, modelling amps don't smell half as nice.

Damn straight skippy!

Edit:
Quote by red star
its got a 12ax7 tube so yes it does sound like a tube amp
*cough*bull*****cough*
...Bleep Bloop...
look here GHJ

read the paragraph
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
have u not heard it yet? surely ure not gonna buy an amp that epensive before deciding if u like the tone or not?
As far as I know it's a hybrid.
SS/Valve combination basically. It runs off a solid state circuitry but they've chucked a valve into the power amp and vacuum tube to the reactor circuit, whatever that is.
I does make a difference to the tone. But it wont be as good as an all valve amp.
for the most part it sounds pretty solid-statey. but that being said it sounds like a very high quality solid state. much better than other amps. although i did find the u.s. high gain setting to sound a little bit "tubey."
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by red star
look here GHJ

read the paragraph

I'm not debating the fact it has a tube in it's pre-amp, but that one tube will NOT make it sound like a real all tube amp, unlike your statement suggested.
...Bleep Bloop...
The "half valve" thing is a gimmick. It's still a solid state and sounds like one. The tube preamp has such little effect on the sound that it isn't worth mentioning. Try it first-personally I find them to be just another solid state. I wasn't super impressed by the AD100VT I tried out. It was ok, and probably good for the price, but it just wasn't as good as people here make them out to be.

Try it first and see if you actually like it. Don't just buy it because people here say that it's the best amp in the price range. Your ears may like the sound of other amps better. I know mine did.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Trust me, it's not tube tone, but it's the closest and best you can get without going full tube, go for it, it's worth it.
I have the ad30vt, and its very vesitile, I can play my classic rock stuff, 80's stuff, grunge, and modern. Even some acoustic stuff on the clean settings. Definitely a great amp.
Quote by TJM2482
I have the ad30vt, and its very vesitile, I can play my classic rock stuff, 80's stuff, grunge, and modern. Even some acoustic stuff on the clean settings. Definitely a great amp.

Backed.
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
Quote by Xenn99
The "half valve" thing is a gimmick. It's still a solid state and sounds like one. The tube preamp has such little effect on the sound that it isn't worth mentioning. Try it first-personally I find them to be just another solid state. I wasn't super impressed by the AD100VT I tried out. It was ok, and probably good for the price, but it just wasn't as good as people here make them out to be.

Try it first and see if you actually like it. Don't just buy it because people here say that it's the best amp in the price range. Your ears may like the sound of other amps better. I know mine did.

....This comning from a guy who loves his Marshall MG...
^ Exactly. lol

Quote by Mapsand01
Backed.

x3.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Quote by MastaBassist10
....This comning from a guy who loves his Marshall MG...

Doesn't change the fact that what he said was the truth however.
...Bleep Bloop...
you go the wrong forum...

but you guys who say its a solid state are wrong...

it has two 12ax7 tubes in the preamp, plus a power tube circuit(something like that), and it actually does alot to the tone, it warms it up somewhat, and it gives it more personality than a SS amp...

and i wouldnt say its gimmicky, because it actually does have some effect on the tone... unlike the marshall AVT's which are pure gimmicky...

its not a tube amp, and it sure isnt a SS amp...

listen to the Roland Cube 30 vs the Vox ad50vt thread... the vox is alot warmer, and sounds alot better, but not as good as a tube amp
All Valvetronix models are hybrid. The tube only adds some warmth in the first stage of the power amp to mimic a real tube power amp. It isn't tube, and it doesn't sound any more like a tube amp than any other solid state amp. However, the effect of the tube is more audibe since it's in the power amp, and that's where the true tube sound comes from, making it the best hybrid that I've heard to date.

It's a great amp for the money to. I've played thru several and liked them all. You can get craploads of tones to cover off any style of music you can possibly think of. Whether or not the amp models sound like the real thing is irrelevant. They sound good and that's what really matters.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by Xenn99

Well not to be a flamer (or maybe yes i am) but i must ask for you taste, you liek an MG but not the Valvetronixes....

Still its all about taste, but myself loves Vox Valvetronixes, espesically since i got my Marshall all tube amps (wich are worthy to bear the name Marshall) and realised taht a "cranked" Vox Valvetronix (put both volumes on full and then se the power control to control volume) can get nice tube tone for a solid state amp. I sat along time just exploring the sounds on one, great for classic rock and blues. They are great for the price.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
zeppelin: HA, wrong buddy.

modeling pre-amp, with then goes into a 1 watt tube poweramp with a 12ax7, then that signal is sent to the main solid state poweramp. you can crank that tube section, using which volume i don't remember, but the amp is leaps and bounds ahead of most other amps in its price range.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Gabel
Well not to be a flamer (or maybe yes i am) but i must ask for you taste, you liek an MG but not the Valvetronixes....

Still its all about taste, but myself loves Vox Valvetronixes, espesically since i got my Marshall all tube amps (wich are worthy to bear the name Marshall) and realised taht a "cranked" Vox Valvetronix (put both volumes on full and then se the power control to control volume) can get nice tube tone for a solid state amp. I sat along time just exploring the sounds on one, great for classic rock and blues. They are great for the price.

It's not that I don't like the Vox Valvetronix amps, all I'm saying is that they aren't as great as people make them out to be.

And for the millionth time, I just got the MG as a practice amp and it works fine for that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
not to pick at you again, but imo, the vox would have made a petter practice amp than the MG. more options, more versitle, better effects, doesn't sound like bees. but you let your ears pick and you like it, so good for you. but i garantee that your ears will change and once you play a few more amps you'll see the grave mistake you've made.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^Then I'll just rig it up with an Epi Valve Junior head like Jenny did.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
god i think some of the people are just jealous that they bought a crate, line6, or a berhinger instead of a vox Well anyway yeah my first statement went a little far. the valvetronix series does not sound exactly like an all tube amp. but it is however the closest you can get without actually going tube. people that say that the valvetronix series is just a gimmick have either never actually played one or their extremely picky marshall fanboys. i will say it again, the valvetronix series are some of the best amps on the market for the price and they are definantly better than any crate or behringer solid state amp.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
^Agreed for the most part.

Even the MG beats the line 6 and crate amps though...

As for Marshall fanboys, it's ironic that you'd say that because Vox and Marshall are both part of the same umbrella company.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^Then I'll just rig it up with an Epi Valve Junior head like Jenny did.

my ears were burning.
and for a hundred bucks the epi head is the tube shiznit.

but seriously, i tried that vox50, it sounds good and thats the fact jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^I agree, they do sound good. Just not like a high end tube amp like some people proclaim.

And I am seriously thing about the Epi Valve Junior...I'm only worried that it won't be loud enough. Would it be loud enough to go over drums?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ryzar: that demo sound sweet. pretty close to my blues jr., but not quite.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yeah, u can push an epi 5W to sound like a hyper SS, 25-30W, ull hear it over drums, in a practice room. but full band is pushing it for sure.

i might drag it up to my drummers place next time, cause im wondering myself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by ledzep1023
Im buying a vox ad50vt today and i wanted to know if it sounds like an acctual tube amp w/ the sustain and stuff

thx
and if you have any other amp suggestions please say them
i play classic rock

My friend has that amp, and it does sound decent for a Solid state but in comparison to the amps and tubies it tried to create, it really doesnt get close.

IMO One of the best practice amps, would never use one for gigs.
Quote by Xenn99
The "half valve" thing is a gimmick.

You are a joke, they sound beautiful, I have one and a personin my band has a jcm800 marshall and although you can tell the difference when you play a real SS amp next to the 2 of them id take the VOX for the price and QUALITY OF SOUND, they sound beautiful, buy it now I play metallica to Chris Isaak and you cant do that on a JCM800 and i know there are more amps out there but this is the best for the price and plus you have no say on anything about amps cause you are lecturing people on sound quality and you have a MARSHALL MG aka Bees in a Box so shut up
Quote by Ryzar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY42F_5mgBE&search=vox souds pretty damn good if you ask me. I had A ad15vt, it was pretty good escpescially the clean and light distortion models. the high gain settings arent as good.

I would like to see you achieve such a sweet tone with your MG, film it and host it, Xenn. If you could do it, I would die happy and I would stop bashing MGs forever.

If you can't, then I can keep bashing your love towards the MG happily.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Quote by Member
You are a joke, they sound beautiful, I have one and a personin my band has a jcm800 marshall and although you can tell the difference when you play a real SS amp next to the 2 of them id take the VOX for the price and QUALITY OF SOUND, they sound beautiful, buy it now I play metallica to Chris Isaak and you cant do that on a JCM800 and i know there are more amps out there but this is the best for the price and plus you have no say on anything about amps cause you are lecturing people on sound quality and you have a MARSHALL MG aka Bees in a Box so shut up

At least I didn't just claim that a Vox is better than a JCM800.

And as for me having a say, I tried the Vox. Therefore, I am allowed to post my opinion on it. And, as I've already said I think three times throughout this thread; They are good amps, but not as good as full tube amps.

God...people see "Marshall MG" in my sig and automatically think "n00b."
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Member: you're a douche, although your intentions are almost good, not quite.

xenn tried the amp, he can say what he has to say, seeing as he knows from experience. HIS OWN experience. he has different ears that you, and at least he has the balls to voice his opinion and not always agree with everything posted on this board. seriously, while i may not agree with whan xenn is saying, in the fact that i disslike MG's, and really like the vox ad series, it's not up to me to call him an idiot because he's taste in tone is different than mine.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Thank you Derek.

And for the last time I'll make it clear; I don't hate the Vox AD series. I think they're good amps and great for the price. I don't however feel that they have a true tube sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Page 1 of 2