How exactly do I tune to drop C? I know that I have to tune to drop D and then down one step, but how exactly do I do this without a chromatic tuner? Is there a fret I could put my capo on and then tune?
9th fret on the C string should be the same pitch as open A, I think.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
no, no capo just, when you are in drop D you know that the D and the A string sound the same in the 7th fret of the E, so if you want tou tune one step dow press the 6th fret on the E and tune the A to that soud, and the rest of the strings tune them with the A one, then you just tune the E down and, there you go! drop C

oops! sorry, its not the E stirng enymore xD it's the D or the 6th string wichever you prefer
tune it down one step DGCFAD and then tune the low D to a C to match the pitch of the 4th string

so it ends up being CGCFAD
The Walking Dead
Quote by Ierius
no, no capo just, when you are in drop D you know that the D and the A string sound the same in the 7th fret of the E, so if you want tou tune one step dow press the 6th fret on the E and tune the A to that soud, and the rest of the strings tune them with the A one, then you just tune the E down and, there you go! drop C

oops! sorry, its not the E stirng enymore xD it's the D or the 6th string wichever you prefer

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

I'm pretty good at tuning by ear so that shouldn't be too hard.
i didnt even know people went as low as drop C. sounds cool though i might have to try it

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
i didnt even know people went as low as drop C. sounds cool though i might have to try it

Drop C sounds really low and groany. It's cool for metal and stuff like that. I tuned down to learn some stuff by Chevelle though.

The instructions I was given were actually for drop C#

I figured out that to get to drop C you have to make the open A sound like the low D string with the 7th fret held down.

EDIT: I meant to say make the open A sound like the low D with the 5th fret down.
Last edited by JtoTHAizzosh at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by Inahrima
Get the Korg CA30 tuner for around 20$'s and your life will be so much easier . sorry, dunno bout tuning drop C with ear though.

I'm buying one soon. My friend has one that I've used before.