OK, so I'm lost as to where to put this thread. I figure the acoustic guitar forum is as close as I can get. Anyway, I want to get a good, cheap mandolin that won't be a piece of junk like most cheap acoustic guitars. Any mandolin players in the house? This will be my first mandolin. I play a little piano, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar, and I'm really excited about learning a new instrument.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Originally posted by jklsadj;sadjfak
ok, imagine this....round cheese!!! to fit burgers!!! im gonna invent this, and youll see me on forbes some day.
i just recently starting playing banjo (it was a toss up between banjo and mandolin, i just like the sound of a banjo better) anyway, i got a rogue starter kit banjo off of musician's friend, and lemme tell you, for the price (~$120) i was suprised at the quality! it may not be the prettiest banjo in the world, but it plays great and sounds great! and i know rogue has mandolins for as low as $40 and starter packs at like $80! also on musician's friend, check it out
mandolins are kick ass. dont spend more than 200 for your first one though...
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Don't go with any of those. Go with either the Rogue or Musician's Friend starter kit that includes a gig bag and instructional books (both are essentially the same). Just be forewarned that if you get a cheap mandolin from any company you will get frustrated as cheap=low quality. Definitely don't get Washburn, from what I've heard Washburn mandos are crap. Rogue makes fairly good stuff for cheap, I have a Rogue A-model and it's passable (could be a lot better and I will be upgrading to a nicer brand of F later). For just trying it out and learning, though, go with the Rogue A-model with the Hal Leonard instruction book. It's fairly inexpensive and of a pretty good beginner's quality.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
hey just got my first mandolin a month ago and i went with the rogue and it has been amazing.... hope that helps
Defend Your Dreams
The last one has got a solid top, just thought I'd mention that.

Mandolins are nice, I want one too!
Originally posted by kornrules09
well if it comes with pick, I say get it!
Thanks for all your help everyone! It appears I'm more strapped for cash than I thought, so you won't be seeing any mandolin pics in the gear thread anytime soon, but it's still a goal.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
I enjoy some nicklecreek every now and again. Got the chance to see them and concert one time and WOW! That dude plays the mandolin like he's jamming on an electric. Thats cool, too bad you don't see too many mandolin players around.
Yes, Chris Thile of Nickel Creek is Awesome with a capital "A". Thanks for the link, sandwich.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83