Page 1 of 5
Hey guys/gals:

Having been upgraded to Musician Talk mod recently, I've had to spend a lot of time cleaning up the forum and doing the dirty work there. I came to notice that there were a lot of threads with the following kinds of titles:

"Lacking Inspiration..."
"Help a struggling guitarist!"
"How to make original music?"
etc. x70 bazillion

I mentioned this is SilentDeftone, who said he noticed this as well. There seems to have been a rough stint of these threads of late, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

So here's the deal... instead searching the columns and directing the thread-starters there, I have decided that the best possible way to get rid of these thousands of pointless threads is to have a sticky in MT that is a guide to these sorts of questions. Hence, SD and I come here. We need a writer or multiple writers (a collaboration would probably be best) to write/compile an end-all be-all article regarding this topic. It needs to be very in depth and provide information for as many cases as possible.

Once it's written, it will be checked/submitted as usual, then I will make a sticky of it in MT so that it's one of those "ONLY" threads like they have in all the other forums (like the Pit... Religion, Politics, Relationship, etc.).

So once again, if you would like to participate in this rather large-scale "project," please let us know and post here. SD will probably sticky this thread so it jumps out and gets as many people's attention as possible...

Thanks,

red/SD

EDIT: Please note that this will require a lot of organization. There will need to be a lot of subtopics to cover all the specifics. Once we get a team going, we can figure out how best to do this.
Looking for my India/Django.
I'm in. The only days I can't help are today, tomorrow and monday, but after that I'm free But I think you'll wait a couple of days until everyone has been given the chance to help with this.. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
My schedule is going to be a little crazy for the next month or so, but I could probably handle a subtopic or two... I'm sure I can give you a more accurate assesment of what I can do when we get a better idea of what will be done.
Alright I'm feeling a little lazy to type up a big thing about the organization, but I'll get it up here sooner or later. I've got a preliminary list of subtopics we need to tackle.
Is there any way to get this moved to MT? I'm sure more people would help, but I don't know if it'd get noticed too much over here. Just a thought.
^Was just about to do it... so everybody knows to come here. The main thinktank will be here, since it will be an article (to be stickied later in MT).
Ok... here's what I'm thinking so far:

1.) We need a list of threads that we would state at the beginning for theory references. Most of the best ones are in the archives. I've got a decent amount, and so does SD... we just need to organize them and get them in here. Seeing as though a lot of the problems this article/sticky is supposed to solve have to do with theory, it'd be good for kids to look it up before they get lost in our mumb-jumbo. This article/sticky does no good if they don't understand the language. Also note that it shouldn't matter what site they come from... if there's a better link than what is in UG, list it!

2.) One subtopic definitely HAS to be about solo creativity. EVERY one of these threads goes in the same direction --- nowhere! We need a good solid explanation of how to solo well (and establish EARLY in the article/sticky that there are many not-so-explanable/abstract concepts... kids seem to think that you can teach everything, but we all know you can't really teach good phrasing to point that you hear your favorite guitarists playing... if you catch my drift)

3.) Another subtopic could be "Stuck In A Rut" kind of thing. It'd be one of the most abstract topics here, but we need a good piece written for this.

That's what I just thought of. I had a million others, but they slipped my mind for now. Tell me what you guys got!
Maybe something about playing with other musicians as well? Getting a teacher? Expand your musical horizons?
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
I can be in if you guys need help. I'd be interested in helping, especially with the "Stuck in a rut" sort of thing.
Quote by elvenkindje
Maybe something about playing with other musicians as well? Getting a teacher? Expand your musical horizons?

Methinks that would fall under "Stuck In A Rut"...
If you feel I'm qualifified to help I can start next week after my exams are all done with.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Quote by redwing_suck
Methinks that would fall under "Stuck In A Rut"...

But still something worth mentioning and devoting an alinea or two on, imo
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by redwing_suck
2.) One subtopic definitely HAS to be about solo creativity. EVERY one of these threads goes in the same direction --- nowhere! We need a good solid explanation of how to solo well (and establish EARLY in the article/sticky that there are many not-so-explanable/abstract concepts... kids seem to think that you can teach everything, but we all know you can't really teach good phrasing to point that you hear your favorite guitarists playing... if you catch my drift)
I'll start on that tomorrow.

Perhaps we could do it like the passover thing where you ask all the Rabbis: get my opinion, Deffy's, Cors.......
I'd like to help out. Sign me up

I've always wondered why there isn't a "FAQ about Modes" sticky. Seems like there's 3 or 4 threads a day about what's a mode? I know there's lessons about this kind of stuff around here but there should be a sticky with all the links at least. Just a thought.
I'll help, just let me know something you need written on and I'll write on it.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
From glancing over a few pages, a popular thread seems to be along the lines of "What scales should I use (over minor/major chords, to sound like Jimi, in Classic Rock/Shred Whatever Genre...)".

I think a good topic, therefore, might be an attempt to explain application of scales, and perhaps a somewhat brief explanation of how some of these scales fit into various genres or styles.

I don't know if this is a good idea, if it is, hopefully it gets refined from my vague idea lol. I wouldn't mind working on this, but I'd probably need help from at least one of the very knowledgeable people, for editing purposes and whatnot.
Quote by psychodelia
I think a good topic, therefore, might be an attempt to explain application of scales, and perhaps a somewhat brief explanation of how some of these scales fit into various genres or styles.

Dibs? I've written a few rants in MT about that, might look at a few and compile.
If you already have written material on the subject, be my guest I would of course be willing to help if needed.
Keep it comin'... I sent Doug, Beat, and Cor PMs to keep on the lookout for it.
I can do lesson stuff if thats what you're looking for, in particular beginners fingerpicking as I've recently started teaching some people it and wouldn't mind having my lesson plans and stuff posted.

Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
I'm in... solo creativity and things such as thus would suit me

Some suggestions I could possibly write up on...

• Interval Recognition.
  • Fretboard/Voice Integration.
  • Creative Soloing.
  • Melodic Tendency.
  • Musical Value.

I'm sure there's more, but those popped into my head.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jun 13, 2006,
1.) Theory FAQ: Scales, Chords, Modes, Intervals, the like...
2.) Solo Creativity
3.) Songwriting Creativity
4.) Scale Application: Anything from genre-specific scales to how to use them in songwriting.

That's a tentative list. Please note it's ok if information is repeated... it'll pound it into the n00bs' heads!
i can do a think on time signatures. i already have a little thing on compound time in one of the threads on the front page, so i can just expand on that. i also think a bit on harmonizing would be good, but i woundt be able to do that.
I'm willing to write something about chords I'll even include some jazz reharmonisation in it, just for the kicks of it Just let me know if you think I'm up to it
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
I would like to give it a shot, Im not amazing, but I do know a bit. I can write some stuff about keys and time signatures, and some simple chord theory, elvinkindje I bet your going to go really in-depth, so I can deal with beginners to get people started. I might include some stuff about different well known scales.

So basically I might do a brief run through of a lot of things.

I hope this all works, because there are far too many stupid threads now in MT.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by jof1029
i also think a bit on harmonizing would be good, but i woundt be able to do that.

I agree, there are a few threads on people who want to harmonize stuff.

Another topic might be soloing over a 12 bar blues, just to get people started. I know a few tips that could be included.

Also, if you want to, we could do a little thing on what people should learn if they are joining a jazz band... I've seen that thread a few times. I'm sure a small committee of people could get that done in no time.
eyyy, erm not to rain on the parade, but as far as I remember Doug was writing an all-encompassing FAQ a while back.

And this was presented to me as an article about inspiration, writing original music, stuff like that. Not specifically a theory article.

-SD
^**** I just remembered that not moments before I logged on.

For now, we ought to keep it to the inspiration stuff.

We can talk to doug about the FAQ, and see if it's done, if he needs help, etc.
Quote by Casmin_Fluffer
eyyy, erm not to rain on the parade, but as far as I remember Doug was writing an all-encompassing FAQ a while back.

And this was presented to me as an article about inspiration, writing original music, stuff like that. Not specifically a theory article.

-SD

What happened to your username?

Casmin_Fluffer?
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by redwing_suck
1.) Theory FAQ: Scales, Chords, Modes, Intervals, the like...
2.) Solo Creativity
3.) Songwriting Creativity
4.) Scale Application: Anything from genre-specific scales to how to use them in songwriting.

That's a tentative list. Please note it's ok if information is repeated... it'll pound it into the n00bs' heads!

I'd be willing to help with 1,3 and 4 if you'd be happy to wait until my exams are done.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Redwing, have you seen the posts from spaivxx over in MT? I haven't really read them, but it sppears that he knows what he's talking about. We should get him involved in this?
ok sorry I haven't been here in a while...

Spaivxx PM'd me about his interest in this; he's on board, as far as I can tell!

He'll most likely contribute to the theory FAQ (granted Cas hasn't finished it), but we'll see.
Chirst, Cas' theory will be practically a novel, seeing how much he writes sometimes.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Page 1 of 5