does any body know where i can find a good guide to repainting a guitar?
If it makes a difference, its for a imitation SG by squier, cheap piece of crap, i might get a DV8R soon, so i was planning to mess around with the squier, first thing that came to mind was painting it myself... Or if any one knows about how much it costs to get a customized paint job, though i'd rather do it myself.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
get car spray paint and finish
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
in Guitar world a guy tells you step by step how to but im sure you oculd google it.
www.reranch.com

It's down now but they'll fix it within the next couple days. Some of the info is a little outdated but it's a great place to start.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
do you wanna go down to bare wood then paint it, like to see the grain or just a solid color, tell us that first,

if solid color (most likely)

sand the body with 400 grit sand paper just to scuff up the finish

primer it so you can not see the original paint

then use your colors you want

then clear coat it

use duplicolor auto paint
hmmm... i was hoping to get it all the way down to wood, then paint it with like crazy logos, band names, etc... it's Dark Red right now, i'll try to get a pic, so not much would show over it, but heck i'm not even sure what colours i want...

the thing that worries me the most is taking everything out of the guitar, somebody tell me what's the worst that could happen? Is it necessary to completely unwire the pickups and every thing? cuz i don't know **** about that... however the thing is i might buy new pickups like duncan or emgs.... but for now what's the least i'd have to do to repaint the neck, body and headstock front/back?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
The worst that could happen? A pot breaks? I dunno, there isnt' much you cna really mess up that isn't easily replaceable.
The least you have to do it strip the finish down ot wood, grainfiller, primer, color, clear, buff.
The cheapest it will be is probably 60 usd, but you cna easily go into triple digits if you don't have enough snadpaper on hand, or you mess up a couple layers of paint or osmething. That reranch site has a lot of good stuff on there, read up on that when it comes back up.
The least you have to do it strip the finish down ot wood, grainfiller, primer, color, clear, buff

strip the finish down? meaning? sanding?
graing filler... is that necessary?? i'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible what are the consequences of not doing it?
color, clear, buff? colour means paint i assume, clear means what exactly? and what supplies would i need to buff?

EDIT: another thing; would i have to take EVERYTHING of the body? (pickups, pickguard, knobs, bridge, and tailpiece?) and would i have to take the tuners off to paint the back of the headstock? How much would it cost to get the whole thing reassembled?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by danilo19
in Guitar world a guy tells you step by step how to but im sure you oculd google it.

the guys website is paint your own guitar
www.paintyourownguitar.com
a list of supplies he uses
http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/gw1.html
here is some guitar layout to draw designs on. I know you have to enlarge them when you print them to be the exact size of the guitar.
http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/gw456.html
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
^ugh, Ug had a bad run in with that guy, lets jsut say he was a fraud.

And it is recommeneded you do a grainfiller, your coats will sink into the grain and consequential force you to put on a lot of layers of clear coat to fill them up. It just saves time to do a grainfiller layer. And you will have to take off all the electronics and hardares on the body, it's not that hard, just take pictures of how you took it apart, and it'll go back together, pretty simple stuff.
^You fell for that?
Those things are always fishy. Taking off the hardware is all easy, a screwdriver and a wrench is all you need. Putting it all back together is easy too.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Wiat did you mean me? or gonzalez? If you meant me then I must have missed something.
Well, you and gonzo.

Quote by kaplac
^ugh, Ug had a bad run in with that guy, lets jsut say he was a fraud.

I think that means you tried to buy his thing, right?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
No, the dude came aroudn here a couple months ago trying to sell his book to some noobs in here. Algee set him straight thought, I think he got perma banned. He all made a big deal about his finish and acted like he made if from that book. Funny thing is his guitar finish he posted on here, was like everywhere on that website (insert link here), yeah. The website is pretty shoddy anyways, I wouldn't buy it either way.
yeah, no i was kinding thinking along the lines of not paying for the guide... besides, that only teaches you how to do CERTAIN paint jobs off famous guitars, but i want to make my own.

any ways, yeah i'll stick with doing grainfiller. k guys thanx alot, i'll try to get some before/after pics soon. Prob is, i have to wait for my new DV8-R (still begging my parents) before i start messing around, and counting in the time it takes to gather supplies, it should be set right around before summer school

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jun 10, 2006,
They had a problem with him on the Reranch board because he practically coppied from Reranch 101 (which is free) word for word.

Rather than using grainfiller, grain fill with epoxy. Use the 5 minute setting variety from Stewmac. Mix it in small batches and wipe it on with a putty knife. Push it into the pores but try not to let any sit on the surface. Then block sand with 220. It's cheaper, faster, and better than conventional grainfiller.

Edit: Here's the Reranch thing: http://home.flash.net/~guitars/basics.html
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Last edited by mnbaseball91 at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Well, you and gonzo.

I think that means you tried to buy his thing, right?

naw i didn't buy his book. I just put up the links becuase the guy mentioned it.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Edit: Here's the Reranch thing: http://home.flash.net/~guitars/basics.html

thanx will check out

EDIT- i read it quickly, i noticed it recommended to use chemical finish removers... is that necessary? Couldn't i just sand it down with super gritty sandpaper? and also, do i need a fancy spray thingy or can i just use conventional spray paints as long as their of the same brand? also does the paint need a clear finish over it? can i buff this finish by hand?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jun 11, 2006,
I also prefer sandpaper and elbow greese, but then I've never had to strip a poly finish which is a lot harder to strip than nitro. I'd say just see what works for you.

If you're going to use spray cans, I highly recomend taking the plunge and using quality Reranch supplies. If they don't have the color you want, Duplicolor brand paints aren't bad but I'd still use the Reranch clearcoat.

^ Wouldnt you have problems with the finishes reacting as the nitro is harder than the duplicolor paint?
Not if you use a really thin layer of color over a primed surface. That's the way I did my goldtop actually - Duplicolor "buckskin" covered by KTM9. The only potential problem would be acrylic reacting with nitro but as long as the color is dry before you apply the clear the odds of having problems are low. Always test of scrap first of course.

hmmm.. once again would it be irreversible if i used spray paint? i REALLY don't have money, i don't trust internet shopping, and i live in Canada, so resources aren't that high... i was hoping i could pull this all of with a visit to a craft store and a home depot

EDIT another thing: is there any easy to follow guide to uninstalling and reinstalling pickups? cuz that's my biggest fear.. it'll all be useless without pickups

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jun 12, 2006,
bump

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build