I recently posted a few days ago on how my Dad gave me his 30+ years old Epiphone Hollow-body (not sure of the make) and it wasn't working correctly. I figured out myself it was clearly the pickups that were shot and not working.

So I just got back from the music center and the guy said I would be dropping about 400 bucks on the whole project. I'd need to get a new bridge piece because the current one used is wood (horrible for intonation) new pickups, get it rewired (not necessary but helpful) and get a compartment drilled in the back for easy access to all the wiring (not necessary either, but helpful). Now this whole project my dad and I could manage doing with less than 200 dollars, without the drilling and complete rewiring (new bridge piece and pickups).

The question I'm asking is should I go with the music center and let it go with them? Or should i do this on my half with a lot less money?
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
The guy at the guitar center is probably trying to get the money out of you. Get what ever you need, and get it done by a professional (Not Guitar Center). They charge way to much and do a horrible job. Look for small music repair shops.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
It's not exactly Guitar Center. It's called Belden Village Music Center which is run by a family, I can tell he's done work on many guitars... it's just the price.
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

Do it yourself man. If the other stuff gets nessecary, then you can go and get the music store to do it.
If it's an Epiphone guitar, it's an Epiphone. You may not be sure of the Model, though.

First step, you check out the wiring. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

As for the bridge, well, you could see about getting a Tune-O-Matic installed, it's just a matter of routing out two holes for it to fit, but since it's an archtop... You should definately get a professional to take care of it.

As for the access port, it's not necessary unless you're going to be changing a lot of the wiring often. The pickups are probably top-loaded, so if you have a little soldering knowledge, you can change them yourself.

What kind of workshop do you have access to?

I figure a lot of that cost would be parts cost and labour.

I'd say you can do about 1/2 to 2/3s of the work yourself, if you have the right equipment. Bridge placement can be a little testy, so I'd probably want to get that done pro. Replacing pups, a rear access port, you can do yourself. Even a complete re-wire if you're patient.

But I maintain; if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!