How would a bass pickup sound in a guitar? Just wondering.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
probably pretty damn bad.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
How not? It would take some work, but its possible.

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
C'mon mates, more input. Im sure it's possible I just want to know how it would sound.
Quote by Kensai
probably really bad, in which position, say uve got the bass pup in the bridge...

if your only using the neck pup it would sound like a guitar, if you use the bridge pup (bass) it would sound like a shotty bass, and if you use both i would kill you...becuz it wouldnt work, itd be destroying all of mankind and music.....i will shoot your guitar if you do it, its possible im sure but no....

NO

Last edited by Schecter-06 at Jun 10, 2006,
What if I put like... 5 of them in parallel...
Quote by Kensai
five? they wouldnt all fit, mate.

Try this:
Take a Bass guitar, and remove the strings (well you dont HAVE to destring i guess).
Plug it into a gutiar amp
Hold the pickup very close to a guitar's strings
Strum the guitar.

That's how it would sound.

Not as bad as I expected, actually. I just tried it, albeit without destringing, with my ****ty silvertone bass. Passable, but worse than just about every guitar pickup ive ever heard. Don't do it mate.

it is very possible. i have been considering doing this to my strat, adding a bass pickup. but i would run the outpit of the bass pickup to my bass amp with an octave pedal in the line and having my guitar output to my guitar amp.

http://www.massconcerts.com/graphics/LocalH01.jpg scott lucas of local h does that
http://www.cracked-rock.com/dewey/pics/tvp-saginaw/brook-08.JPG
http://www.floridaentertainmentscene.com/music/artists/local_h/concert_review/Local_H_Scott_Lucas_0163.jpg
Ooh, now THAT's an idea... if you could clean up the high end on the bass pickup enough, you could practically be a one-man band. Nobody likes drums anyway, right?

...Fine, two-man band.

Well I use my guitar through my recording software as a bass and just adjust the octave on the sound. I think the idea would be pretty cool. But like Die_Republicans said running it into a bass amp and using an octave pedal. It might just work.
Your guitar strings arn't thick enough, it would sound like a bass some pansy pop star would use.
Guitar strings played like a bass dont sound that bad. With using guitar pickups you just have to octave down a bit. But using bass pickups with them octaved up, it shouldnt sound TOO bad. But I could be wrong.
Bass pickups and guitar pickups have 2 completely different opperating frequencies, dont they. I mean I could be wrong but thats why guitars and basses have different sounds. The different pickups are made to pick up different frequencies. And yeah I know thicker strings make a deeper tone but not that much. If I put a guitar pickup in a bass it would sound like a f*cked up guitar not really like a bass.
If I put a guitar pickup in a bass it would sound like a f*cked up guitar not really like a bass.

No, it would sound like a bass.

The only thing that'll change the pitch of your guitar/bass is the thickness of the string and tension in the string. It's because of the way pickups work. The magnetic poles magnetize the strings, when the strings vibrate after plucking, they create a magnetic flux, this flux induces current in the wire at the frequency of the flux.

Unless a pickup has some sort of EQ or other circuitry, there is no way you could change the pitch of a note by changing pickups. (of course, a note will "sound" different with different pickups).
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 10, 2006,
you are all wrong, it wouldn't work because of string possition, nothing to do with output frequency or string thickness, the poles on a bass pup would be to wide, spaced out way to far, for a guitar
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I know that thicker strings will change the pitch of a guitar but talking pickup frequencies, bass and guitar are different. Therefore with different freq. on different p-ups. They wont sound anything alike.
Guitar strings + Bass Pickup = Bass Type Sound
Bass Strings + Guitar Pickup = Guitar Type Sound

Bass pickups WILL pick up guitar strings, and vice-versa. Just from an electronic standpoint they wont sound right.
First of all, the strings do NOT need to be directly underneath the poles. For EM inductance, all you need is the string to be within the magnetic field of the poles, and above the coils. As long as you have that, the pickup will work.

Second, from an electronic standpoint, there will be no difference in sound.

In their basic forms:
A guitar pickup is: Magnetic Poles, Magnets, a coil (or two) of wire.
A bass pickup is: Magnetic Poles, Magnets, a coil (or two) of wire.

The only difference would be strength/type of magnet, spacing of the poles (which affects magnetic field strength to the strings), and how many turns the coils have. There's no magic "bass" sound that you get from guitar strings using a bass pickup.
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 10, 2006,
Basically, it will work yes. How good it will sound is debateable.
If you want that tone, you'd be better off getting a nice clean guitar pickup with lots of bass emphasis.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^What do you mean?

A guitar pickup will certainly be less effective on bass frequencies, and a bass p'up won't work as well on guitar frequencies, but it will pick up.
So it will sound like sh*t but it would work. But the 2 pickups operate on different frequencies. Bass pups have a lower frequency range and guitar pups have a higher frequency range, right?
^Yep.
I wouldn't say that it will automatically should like **** though...I'm sure it won't sound orthedox though, that's for sure.
Thank you for clearing up that they do work on different frequencies.

By the way I really do know how to paint. Just for future reference I just havent used nitro in about 8 years.
Yes, the frequencies would be different, so an option is to drop tune your strings to a slacker setting, like Drop G
wait, i'm not sure everyone understands. (although, I may be the fool who doesn't understand that everyone DOES understand.)

bass pickups are designed to work best with frequencies produced by a bass guitar, however, when used on a normal electric guitar, it will output the SAME frequencies as a normal guitar pickup.

IE, if i strum a string, and it produces a note at 200hz for example. Whether or not it's a bass or guitar pickup, the output will be the same note at 200hz. Although it will certainly be a different sounding note (for example, the difference between a note off a single coil and a humbucker: name note, but different sound).
Thats what I was trying to say but I couldnt figure out the words to get it across to make sure thats what you were saying.
It can be done. Theres some guy from some lesser known grunge-ish band that did it

edit: Local H
Quote by seljer
It can be done. Theres some guy from some lesser known grunge-ish band that did it

edit: Local H

Yep. im going to see them live in 2 hours.
Quote by greenbox
wait, i'm not sure everyone understands. (although, I may be the fool who doesn't understand that everyone DOES understand.)

bass pickups are designed to work best with frequencies produced by a bass guitar, however, when used on a normal electric guitar, it will output the SAME frequencies as a normal guitar pickup.

IE, if i strum a string, and it produces a note at 200hz for example. Whether or not it's a bass or guitar pickup, the output will be the same note at 200hz. Although it will certainly be a different sounding note (for example, the difference between a note off a single coil and a humbucker: name note, but different sound).

Yep, the pitch of the note will be the same, but the tone will be different. Also, I would expect that a bass pickup would give a stronger output at bass frequencies than at guitar frequencies