Is it basically Les Pauls and cranked Marshalls? JCM 800's?

I really like their saturated rhythm and lead tones, esp their lead. I'm guessing it's a combination of LPs and cranked Marshalls but can anyone confirm this?

I'm especially talking about the song "Holding My Own" on the first album, however most of their songs have the same kinda tone.

Edit - Ok I googled it (which I should've done earlier and found this. But anyone's welcome to post comments.

Also - another question, what's the easiest way to acheive a cranked Marshall sound without their expensive and blisteringly loud volumes?

Just curious.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jun 10, 2006,
justin uses a recto, doesn't he?

but yeah, dan is LP and cranked vintage marshalls, afaik.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeh Justin uses Triple Recto's now, I'm not sure whether he always had, but on the first album Dan did most of the lead work I believe.

I read on the website that Dan has an old vintage Tubescreamer. Do you think this would be contributing to the thick, saturated sound he gets? That and an overdriven Marshall obviously.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
What about the amp? It says he uses a Marshall SL100? SL = Super Lead? What kinda Marshall is this? I'm not too clued up about the old Marshalls. Do you think he uses a vintage one, or a reissue?

Can this sort of tone be acheived on a JCM800? Sorry for all the questions.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
there tone is just a mesa boogie dual rec. and a cranked marshall played at the same time. plus dan hits his strings hard and uses a heavy gauge with super glued figners a heavy picks
most of the leads on the first album sound like justin (to me anyway), and sound like a recto...

but yeah, the TS is helping the marshall, no doubt about it, lol.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Oh, that's interesting to learn. So the kinda lead tone in Holding my Own is the sound of a Recto, eh?

Bah, too expensive Plus I'm not just interested in that kinda sound, it's just everytime I listen to the song I just think - phwoar that's a nice guitar tone.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
SL is Super Lead, known as Plexi to. I have an article about their sound. But its bassicly LP with PAF's (Dan uses BKP's :headbang thorugh a cranked Marshall+ tubescreamer (or Recto for lead). JCM800's can get that tone and a MAxon Od-808 to. My JCM900 can nail that tone perfectly (check teh settings in teh settings thread).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ Thanks for the info Gabe. What's Barenuckle's does he use? So are JCM900's basically like a JCM800 with an OD infront?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^Nah not really. But i coudl nail the Darkness tone on my JCM800. I use my Tubescreamer there to. Dont know what BK's he use. But he was on hte artist section on BKP's site. But something like a PAF is what you need.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i think dan might use mules, but i'm not certain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From TG it says that Dan Hawkins uses a Les paul standard with Bk's as previously said but they arent specified, a fulltrone tape echo, ibanez ts-808 tubescreamer, mesa boogie lonestar combo for solo's and amarshall 1959 SL100 super lead
Hmm, I saw the Darkness live ages ago, and Dan used about 6 different Les Pauls, and Justin was using all his custom Gibsons through a Marshall and a "Green" (probably a custom Orange head)
And they use Marshall powerbreaks with Marshall Super Leads (I think) for that huge crunchy sound.
They do have an amazing sound though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Pssst.....want to know a secret? Every solo in 'Permission to Land' except one was recorded on a THD univalve. The one that wasn't was done on some type of marshall.
^Interesting stuff...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Also I've read that Justin plays his solos on an Ampeg Dan Armstrong Plexi, but he doesn't use it live.
^ He played the solos for the 2nd album on a JEM.

Dan uses heavy strings, something like 12s. And he has BK Cold Sweats in his Les Paul.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ ah ok, point ceded, timi- i thought mules weren't right, but i couldn't remember exactly...

thd univalve eh, roc? interesting...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeh that is interesting.

They're extremely expensive, I'm guessing? (goes to look 'em up)
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^ i don't think they're that bad. They're only 15 watts or so, i think. Similar price to a screamer, i think. heads, though, so you need a cab as well...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?