ok so im planning on buying a sr405. and i have a 25r tone blaster amp. i was wondering if the amp would be able to hold a 5 string and not blow...i have been playing a 4 fairly loud on it but im not posative how much worse a 5 string could be on my amp. so my question is will my amp be able to hold a 5 string??
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
Considering there isnt a whole different amp for a five string, I'd assume it's perfectly fine.
^True there is no different amp for a 5 string but if you have a tiny practice amp with an 8 inch speaker that puts out 10 watts, than the low B will sound very distorted and boomy once the volume is turned up past 12 or 1 o' clock...

Anyways, theres one way to find out...You can droptune your current 4 string bass' low E to B and then hook it up to your amp...Ok, yes that wont be an accurate emulation of a 5 string bass' low B but it may help give you an idea of what the 5 string will sound like...Other than that, your amp (which I'm assuming is a 25 watter) will probably handle the low B fine at low volumes but as soon as you go over about half volume it will start sounding boomy, farty, and eventually distorted...Unless you cut the bass on the EQ considerably...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
well...actually thats my guitar amp and i have a junker bass amp so i play on my guitar amp...but eventually ill look into getting a nice bass amp so then a can turn it up fairly loud and not have any distortion
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
^Yea it might not be a good idea to play a bass on a guitar amp at loud volumes...You run the risk of blowing the speaker...Even moreso if you boost the bass on the EQ a lot...The amp will probably end up fine but the speaker will probably blow if you play a bass on it at really loud volumes...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
hmm...i'll have to figure something out
Quote by tetsuma
Why not take the money you were going to use on the five string, and put it into a new amp. Then your four string will sound better. Later on you can upgrade basses if you want, but your amp is much more important.
Quote by Bumper
Why not take the money you were going to use on the five string, and put it into a new amp. Then your four string will sound better. Later on you can upgrade basses if you want, but your amp is much more important.

agreed
Quote by Bumper

yes and no

If he's getting a bass for the sake of a BETTER bass, than yeah amp is more important sound wise,

BUT he's getting one to get used to and play a 5 string, it seems to me, and if he's not gigging, then i think he's fine to get the bass.

moreso because he's not choosing a very expensive bass ( i woulda taken the 505.. but thats me actually i DID pick the 505 hahha)
It's never a smart idea to play out of a guitar amp with a bass, anywho i agree with bumper, I instead of buying my 5 string, bought a bigger amp because i figured "Hey, why not let people hear me!" And later i bought my 5-string.