I've been on the lookout for a new amp, preferably a seperate amp head and cabinet since my combo (SWR Workingman's 12) just isnt cutting it for live performances...and I dont really want to buy another combo...I've decided that I dont want to buy or carry around 2 different cabinets (i.e, the standard 1x15 under a 4x10) and I've been looking at 2x12's and I found a 4x12 as well...Here are the links
SWR 4x12
http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=SWR%204471000%20010&src=D0407FG0HAMS0000&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-SearchEngine-_-Feed-_-SWR%204471000%20010
I found this to be an excellent price for such power, what do you guys think?
And an Ampeg 2x12
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPPB212H
I figured I wouldnt need all 800 watts and that I probably couldnt get more than half that much out of an amp head because the cabinet is an 8 ohm cab, and I thought this Ampeg would be better for my situation...And the Ampeg says it has a nominal impedence of 4 ohms...I kind of have an idea what impedence is in relation to amp heads/power handling but what is nominal impedence?

What do you guys think would be a good amp head to go with either one of these?...That isnt much more than 450 USD...And it doesnt have to be a matching Ampeg or SWR...

Thanks

<EDIT> Oh I forgot about Avatar cabs, I was too busy searching on websites that only sell from the big manufacturers...I really like the avatar B212...The delta is rated at 1000W and the Neo is rated at 500W and it weighs like 20 pounds less...They can also be built in 8 ohm or 4ohm as requested by the buyer...Does anyone own an Avatar cab?...Are they good?...What amp head would go along good with these?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 10, 2006,
That 4x12 is bigger than you think... it weighs 102 lbs, for one. Its a massive cab. I would rather lug around two cabs than that. And the shape is a little bit awkward. Most of the time, you see 4x12s in what looks like an 8x10 casing.

So, if you're worried about weight, go with the Ampeg.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
^I see...Yea I guess I underestimated the size...And hey, you have an Avatar 2x12!...Is it the delta or the Neo?...Is it good, tone/power wise?

The Neo weighs 56 pounds!...Thats like the weight of my combo...And 500W is like all I'll need for a while...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
It's a Neo. I love it to death. I didn't have a lot of $$ to pass up when I was in the market, so I went with Avatar. Awsome cab. Although, I'm not going to be getting another cab (at least not for a long time), and I wish I went with the 4 ohm cab.

The tone is awsome. It has very responsive midrange, and the tweeter stays nice and quiet. Power wise, I was able to play an hour long set at a local fair outside, and my dad said he could here me out on the street (although, your amp head is really what gives a cab its power).

As far as 2x12s go, I'm loving mine. They have awsome bottom end, but even with the tweeter turned off I get great high mids and treble. The cab is as punchy as a 1x15 and as bright as a 4x10. If you're only getting one cab, I strongly suggest going with 12 inch speakers.

Also, check out Gallien-Krueger's 2x12 Neo cabs. They have been getting nothing but good reviews. (And its only 64 lbs!)
http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_ca_neo212.html
And they just came out with a 4x12. (although it's 118 lbs and even bigger than the SWR)
http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_ca_neo412.html#

Neo speakers are awsome as well. They have amazing midrange and are very light.

If I was buying a rig to perform with, I'd go with 4x12. There's no doubt about it. It has the capacity of pushing a lot of air, which is crucial. I'd always rather have some "extra power" up my sleeve.

However, if one is to limit himself to garage performances, then I guess, 4x10 will do just fine. But not 2 speaker configs! Those are for practice. Or to be used as monitors. Trust me. When you play 6-10 kWt gig, even a mighty 600 watt 8x10 becomes a monitor...

And Incubus, you got a Krueger, fella! Those are amongst the sweetest amps, clear, responsive...
^Sounds awesome!(to Incubus SCIENCE)

Well I guess I've made up my mind and I'm going with Avatar...I'll consider others but I doubt I will find another 2x12 Neo at such a good price...And as for the GK's, yea I wish I could get the GK Neo 2x12 but it costs around twice as much as the Avatar Neo 2x12!...And yes the exact reason why I want a 2x12 is because I only want one cab right now and I think a 2x12 will bring about more lows than a 4x10 alone and more mids and treble than a 1x15 alone...And do you think your tone comes from your awesome amp head/bass guitar setup?... Lol I have the same bass, except a 6 string, and I doubt I will be able to buy a 1001RB...

Do you have any suggestions on a good amp head to go with a 2x12 neo?(which I will be getting as a 4ohm cab when I buy it)...Something around 500 dollars, but preferably less...I'd prefer something with good tone and tone shaping thats less than 500W at 4 ohms than something thats 500W at 4ohms but doesnt deliver a good tone...Minimum of 300W at 4 ohms is what I'm thinking...I'll begin searching on google and stuff but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks for all your help so far!...

<EDIT> TO Bassilo:
Yes, I'm sure you'd buy a 4x12 but I dont think that I'll be playing any stadiums anytime soon, lol...I think a 2x12 that handles 500W is great for a guy like me who plays the "Church Circuit", which is what I call playing a bunch of local churches that have these concerts often for local bands, and we're starting to play regularly, sometimes 3 times a week...Also, some all-age bars have shown interest in us so I think a new amp is in order...And 500W is just dandy
/\ hey, hey, it's great then! =))))
The reason I suggested the 4x12 is because I assumed you played open-air shows (errr... Do you?) And you have to push a looooooooooooooot of air on them open-air shows...

Xeno, I've been browsing E-bay recently, and i envy you yanks and brits. I found some awesome deals. I wouldn't mind getting an operational Hartke H3500 that is scratched and is missing a knob for... 99 bucks! Some paint and a knob to fix that sucker up. Or an Acoustic amp for 350 bucks?! Hot damn! Why don't you have a look? Transistor amps, or even tube amps are not something that becomes worthless once used. Tubes are cheap (you AREN't going to buy an all-tube amp, are you and easy to replace...

It's messed up that a) it's 110 volts b) the shipping'd cost from 150 to 250 bucks.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I wish I went with the 4 ohm cab.

It's not complicated to change the speakers between serial and parallel wiring.
Quote by smb
It's not complicated to change the speakers between serial and parallel wiring.

no, it's not, but two speakers combined in a 8ohm enclosure means it's OR two 4ohms in series, OR two 16ohms in parallel... No way you can put those together to form a 4ohm cab...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by Bassilo
/\ hey, hey, it's great then! =))))
The reason I suggested the 4x12 is because I assumed you played open-air shows (errr... Do you?) And you have to push a looooooooooooooot of air on them open-air shows...

Xeno, I've been browsing E-bay recently, and i envy you yanks and brits. I found some awesome deals. I wouldn't mind getting an operational Hartke H3500 that is scratched and is missing a knob for... 99 bucks! Some paint and a knob to fix that sucker up. Or an Acoustic amp for 350 bucks?! Hot damn! Why don't you have a look? Transistor amps, or even tube amps are not something that becomes worthless once used. Tubes are cheap (you AREN't going to buy an all-tube amp, are you and easy to replace...

It's messed up that a) it's 110 volts b) the shipping'd cost from 150 to 250 bucks.

You mean like outdoor shows?...Not really, except the occasional parties where we play in backyards and such, lol...

And yea I know how awesome it is to have ebay here, I wouldnt know how much it sucks not to though ...But surprisingly I've never bought anything from ebay, I was once on the verge of buying a Dean Edge Q6 with a 100W crate amp, a hardshell case, a strap, and 2 effects pedals for $505!...But the damn seller guy said "No man I cant let it go for that much!" and I reported it to ebay but nothing happened...

Anyways, I heard there was a considerable amount of ebay trading in Eastern Europe and some parts of Asia, is there not?...Anyways, I'll keep hunting on ebay, like always, to try and find me a good deal...I found an SWR Workingpro 4004 Head for 375 bucks "Buy It Now"...I think thats pretty good, is it?

And yea I dunno about them tube amps, lol...I've heard they arent a huge difference when compared to solid state like it is with guitar amps, and then you have to maintain them and buy tubes and stuff...No, I'm fine with my solid state amps
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 11, 2006,
I can get you a new GK 1001RBII for $600 ($150 off Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/Samash price). PM me for link.