Page 1 of 2
Although I hate them, they seem to be the only chord I can use that sounds right when I have on distortion.

Anybody feel frustrated by this?
There are four types of people in this world... and I'm one of them.
Quote by Goshdangit88
Although I hate them, they seem to be the only chord I can use that sounds right when I have on distortion.

Anybody feel frustrated by this?

i know what your saying its like theres no ohter option and everybody is forced to use them
Power chords hate you.

The reason they're used to much is because they work so well with distortion *duh*

If you want to use something else, turn down your distortion.
Last edited by yawn at Jun 10, 2006,
I hate em cause there's only so many combinations you can use with them, and pretty much EVERY rock/metal/punk/indies/whatever band uses them
There are four types of people in this world... and I'm one of them.
yeah, i see no reason to hate power chords, but...try some full barre chords. if your distortion's not TOO too heavy, they sound really good. but if you wanna play something with tons of gain, or something that's fast, you're probably better off using power chords anyway.
statistics show there are more children in the world today. that's china's fault

-meatwad
Quote by Goshdangit88
I hate em cause there's only so many combinations you can use with them, and pretty much EVERY rock/metal/punk/indies/whatever band uses them

why is it such a big deal that you're different from everyone? if you like the sound of powerchords, use them.
Power chords are great.. when used sparingly and properly. If you have so much distortion that you need power chords, then you are using too much distortion.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Man, I used to say the same thing I refused to play them. But they can come in handy, I've always been a blues and classic rock guy, and I've found its actually alot easier to 7th when your using power chords. Anyway they're a necessary evil, Alternate back and forth with barre chords (its more tolerable that way)
Powerchords play a huge part in being able to play guitar, so many good songs are made up of them
Thin Lizzy
Quote by niall the nail
Powerchords play a huge part in being able to play guitar, so many good songs are made up of them

no thats not true...
Quote by Aidy Damage
There are countries outside of America and music other than metal

Member of The White Stripes club
Learn to play jazz...
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Turn down the gain, and boost your mids to let more notes ring. Get an overdrive pedal instead of a distortion as well. A good example of this is mike mccready of pearl jam. He uses alot of barre chords while in overdrive and it sounds great.

Bry
*loves the sound of distorted triads using the D, G and B strings... especially in Mixolydian*

Yeah, I hate power chords too. Well, not hate, but I don't like how they're *****d so relentlessly. And even when I do use it, I mix it with the third between mutes or whatever to add some flavour anyways.

Obviously they can contribute greatly to a piece, but...there's a fine line between sensible use and pure laziness.
yeah, try using some overdrive instead of heavy distortion, and i'm sure you can use plenty of other chord types. power chords are great in moderation, but they get boring pretty fast.
statistics show there are more children in the world today. that's china's fault

-meatwad
ok... let me try and explain that..

you see.... many chords... have emotions in them
like 7 chords... made of the 1st 2nd 3rd 7th..... they sound a bit bluesy... jazzy
or 13 chords... sound a bit swingy
you see..... every type of music sends some kind of emotion

exept rock.... rock is empty... that's the beaty of rock and metal
so playing chords which are made of 1st and 3rd degree is a great idea
becouse they serve that idea perfectly

that's atleast how i see it
you don't think powerchords have emotion?

well...you're right. they can't even think/reason.
I disagree. You can convey emotions with powerchords but it's just more difficult because you can only do so much. That is where it rests on the other instruments (expecially vocals) to fill that void.
powerchords can have emotion, but that prob comes most from the intervals between the chords rather than between the chord notes.
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by Drone_
ok... let me try and explain that..

you see.... many chords... have emotions in them
like 7 chords... made of the 1st 2nd 3rd 7th..... they sound a bit bluesy... jazzy
or 13 chords... sound a bit swingy
you see..... every type of music sends some kind of emotion

exept rock.... rock is empty... that's the beaty of rock and metal
so playing chords which are made of 1st and 3rd degree is a great idea
becouse they serve that idea perfectly

that's atleast how i see it

This is wrong information.

-SD
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Use thirds.

Major
A-4-
E-5-

Minor
A-3-
E-5-

The root is in bold.

Maybe my distortion is too heavy, but thirds never sound good with my distortion. Tritone's and Minor 6th sound good, but anything else (besides octave, 4ths and 5th) sound bad. Are my settings wrong?
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Also, these are also kind of power-chords (people have different definitions of what a power chord is), but suspended chords are really pretty in my opinion.

In drop D:
D 4 7
A 2 5
D 2 5

or in standard
D 6 9
A 4 7
E 2 5

and so forth.
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Quote by BigCheese
Maybe my distortion is too heavy, but thirds never sound good with my distortion. Tritone's and Minor 6th sound good, but anything else (besides octave, 4ths and 5th) sound bad. Are my settings wrong?

Apparently.
Quote by BigCheese

that's the effect distortion has on thirds. it's complex, but in the equal tempered tuning system (12 tones all spaced equally, the one we use), thirds are inherently a bit out of tune with the thirds of the harmonic overtone series. this inherent out-of-tuneness is made much more noticable by distortion, thus it sounds muddy when you play it. to remedy this, turn down the distortion, or try to play your thirds at least an octave above the root note, because they sound especially bad when the notes are too close together in the low registers. for example, a D chord played like x5423x will sound muddier than if it's played like x5777x, because the third is too low. the E and A bar chord shapes tend to work pretty well with moderate distortion because the thirds are high enough. just keep the third away from the root. and of course, too much distortion will kill it no matter what...
Quote by Goshdangit88

I hate guitars cos theres only so many combinations i can use them, and and pretty much EVERY rock/metal/punk/indies/whatever band uses them

hating powerchords is the most idiotic thing i have ever heard of, i mean cmon! jeez, do i even need to explain?
Quote by gpb0216
Learn to play jazz...

haha, word.
Quote by madbasslover
haha
you actually made one! i salute you, burrito.

mmm bean rice and cheese. the best.
Quote by scheck006
why is it such a big deal that you're different from everyone? if you like the sound of powerchords, use them.

Quote by Inahrima

hating powerchords is the most idiotic thing i have ever heard of, i mean cmon! jeez, do i even need to explain?

are you that dense? You are completly missing the point of the thread. the threadstarter is saying he is sick of playing power chords because whenever he tries to play something all he can do is play power chords and he wants to learn differnt chords so he dosent sound like the other ten thousand beginners doing the same thing.

to the threadstarter

step one- turn the distortion down

step two- learn rock songs that use distorted chords that arnt powerchords to get you started- AC/DC, van halen, and radiohead are where its at.

step three- turn off the distortion

step four- learn jazz (lol)
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Last edited by Night_Lights at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by SilentDeftone
This is wrong information.

-SD

i disagree... how can you inflict emotion with power chords ?
they sound good on distortion... but that's it..
I think EVH did this is order to use stuff other than power chords. What he did was to tune the B string down so it was a perfect 3rd, and used that. If you want some distortion, then use octaves or perfect 4ths, they are good.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Drone_

You can inflict emotion, for example take something that sounds quite aggresive and heavy like things by Chimaira or Megadeth and Metallica riffs that are quite brutal..what do you think they use alot of, powerchords?

Also on clean, you can arp powerchords to good effect...again this is used by alot of metal bands like Iron maiden, Metallica and Megadeth.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
i know, on clean and on distortion.. the use of power chords give them the metal\rock sound
which is.. not emotionless.... but sort of empty..
hard to explain..

but you have to see the difference in emotions between rock... to jazz, swing, classic, latin, etc..
Yeah I see what you're getting at...it's not the lack of emotion really it's more...most rock songs have similar ways of expressing it and stuff....I can't think of a way to describe it either.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Quote by BigCheese
Don't take this the wrong way, but the quality of your distortion is probably, well, not great.
Quote by Drone_

You can "inflict" emotion with almost anything, even just playing muted strings. Other chords may have more flavor, but sometimes you dont want that. If every player in a band played big lush chords, it would sound like a mess.

I suggest the thread starter get a copy of John Petruccis Rock Dicipline, he shows some really cool ways to make power chords more interesting by adding in different scale tones. For example try playing this:

E -
B -
G -
D 9
A 7
E 5

Its a power chord with an added 9th, and it sounds great with distortion. You can move the shape around too.
Quote by Drone_
Satriani uses powerchords.

Nirvana was very heavy on power chords and kurt was great at conveying emotion. All this new emo stuff in general .. whether you like it or not .. it's all about emotion and relies heavily on power chords.

If I use harmony it's because I find it more interesting .. not because I have a better time conveying emotion with it. There's guitarists out there who can play a single note and bring out tears.
Page 1 of 2