I know ive seen this on this site before, but ive never had any use for this technique until now. i did a search that came up with no satisfactory results. can anyone tell me how to get the guitar to "sqeal", or "scream".
thanks for your help
-josie
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Plug it in to a Bogner or other really expensive amp and play Blink 182. That's how I make my guitar scream.

No, that's not true. I'd kill myself for knowing any Blink 182 songs. Anyway, it's called a pinch harmonic. It's picking the note and then striking the string with your thumb immediately thereafter, creating a harmonic. Takes quite a bit of practice to do consistently, and you need a pretty good amount of gain.
Hi, I'm Peter
put a fuzz box on and sound a natural harmonic (12th fret is probably the easiest) Then pull up on wammy bar to squeel.
it works
Its really hard how to describe how to squeal but basically you have to hold your pick so that only about a millimetre or the tip clears the side of your thumb and you pick in a sort of digging motion so your thumb touches the sring as well and you should get a squeal depending on if you find the right place to pick and if you have enough gain.

Also does anyone have any tips for squeals on the low strings bacause i can only seem to get them to sound good on the high strings.
Watch out for FLOODS exploding onto the UK Deathcore scene this summer.
Turn the volume knob all the way off on your guitar. Pick a note and bend it with a bit of drive and turn the volume back up at different speeds for different effects.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Is it okay to tell my whammy bar-addicted buddy that he's queer because of the way he whammys all the time !!??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Steve Cropper
Turn the volume knob all the way off on your guitar. Pick a note and bend it with a bit of drive and turn the volume back up at different speeds for different effects.

it is called violoning, right?
Quote by Incubus_Rage_27
Its really hard how to describe how to squeal but basically you have to hold your pick so that only about a millimetre or the tip clears the side of your thumb and you pick in a sort of digging motion so your thumb touches the sring as well and you should get a squeal depending on if you find the right place to pick and if you have enough gain.

Also does anyone have any tips for squeals on the low strings bacause i can only seem to get them to sound good on the high strings.

artificial harmonics???
can it be performed on acoustic guitars???
thanks for all the help, this is harder than i thought. but couldnt you, if you wanted to just do a natural harmonic, and if you have a floyd rose style tremelo, pull back on it? just an idea
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
thanks for all the help, this is harder than i thought. but couldnt you, if you wanted to just do a natural harmonic, and if you have a floyd rose style tremelo, pull back on it? just an idea

Maybe...but why use the extra effort to pick up and use the whammy bar when you could just learn pinch harmonics? Know what I mean? Good luck. It's not easy to begin with. Try using lots of gain at first. With practice, you might be able to do them when your guitar is set to clean. I've never tried it before on clean though.
thanks for the sites
Quote by pinheadslts75
try a harmonic on the 2nd 3rd or 4th fret
thats the way i found easiest
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
well, sreaming for me is hitting the natural harmonic on the 5th fret on the "G" string while my whammy bar is down, then gradually raising it and dropping it back and forth really fast.
Clip, Clop, Clip, Clop, Clip, Clop.....BANG! BANG! BANG!.....clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop...

^ Amish Drive-By
Quote by yan_kong
artificial harmonics???
can it be performed on acoustic guitars???

Since nobody has yet answered your question, in short, yes. It's not quite as common or practical as it is with electric playing, but it's still definitely possible and a good technique to be able to do on an accoustic.

Quote by bluespunkmetal
Is it okay to tell my whammy bar-addicted buddy that he's queer because of the way he whammys all the time !!??

that's pretty damn funny
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind