ok so its time i ditched my Line 6 and got a new amp. the spider has served me decently well for a good while, but when i play other amps it stands no chance, quality wise. so ive been looking aroudn at different amps, trying to see which is best for me (price range up to about $400 or $500). But im looking for a certain couple tones that i really cant squeeze out of my Spider.

keep in mind, i have an epi LP and a BOSS ME-50 multi pedal. i play blues, rock, and a lot of jazzy Phish kind of stuff.

the first thing im looking for is a real crunch of a tone. if know Warren Haynes (of Govt Mule) or American Minor , thats exactly the tone im looking for, on the heavy end. mostly on the bass end of the spectrum.

On the other side, i need to have a beautiful clean too. my favorite cleans are heavy on bass, lots of reverb and usually some chorus. ill try to think of a better example, but i cant recall a good one at the moment.

i have heard a lot of good things about Fender Reverbs and VOX Valvetronix, but i havent gotten to try anythign out yet (the nearest music store is no where near). thanks for the help.

and sorry if this doesnt deserve its own thread and shoudl be put into a stickied one or something, i didnt think it fit
used tryanor ycv 20? the 50 blue if you can afford it is a great amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
ive heard that tryanor ycv 50 blue is a beast of an amp. im definately all for the tube amps, but i really dont need 50 watts of all-tube (ill blow the ****in house down). the YCV 20 is the same amp but smaller, right? (still all tube, same quality, etc.)
yeah, 15 watts, 2 channels, it's closer to the ycv 40, the 50 uses diferent tubes and has a few more options.

another amp to check out would be the fender blues jr.

although it's only one channel, it's cleans are a little bit warmer and rounder, while the traynors are a bit more pristine.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i dont really need multiple channels. ive got my ME-50 to handle all of that, it just needs to do a good job reproducing those effects and whatever. the blues junior was one of the amps on my list to try next time i go to the music store. ill do a little more research on it now. is a tube?
well, not to burst your bubble or anything, but an me-50 will pretty much kill the tone of the tube amp. i'd suggest going for the traynor and maybe an overdrive pedal if you need it. it'll sound miles better than the me-50.

i own a blues jr, and personaly i love it. it has great, warm, fat clean sounds while retaining that chimey, pristine fender characterist clean. when you drive it it's really full and with a boost things can get pretty raunchy.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i spent like $350 on that pedal...id sell it, but the thing is a reassly use ALL of the effects on it. and it would cost a million bucks to find them all on individual pedals. but even those could kill the tone, right? especially if im gonna fork out 5-600 on that traynor. that means i need an overdrive, soem kind of modulation (with phaser, chorus, flanger, etc.), a delay, volume pedal, wah, and compressor (will a better amp make any difference if i use a compressor?), at least. and with each of those at like $50-$150 a piece...
You probably dont NEED all those things.

You dont have to listen to us if you dont want to.
well for playing straight blues, no. but im really into my psychodellic effects, and make full utilization of pretty much every single one (theres i think 50 on my pedal). so yeah, i do need them.
well theres always the option of getting a tc electronics g-force later.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

thanks, but im not planning on spending $1,500 on a massive effects processor. that would be more than all my gear put together, even with a brand ner traynor
well it's $400 new, $300, maybe $250 used.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
well it's $400 new, $300, maybe $250 used.

i must be lookin at the wrong thing , link me please?
er crap, i ment g-major.

whoops.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ahhh, ok. but even so, i like the freedom that comes wiht a foot pedal. are there any that would sound decent with an all-tube?
um, maybe if you figured out how to by-pass it's built in pre-amp, and used it in the FX loop.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

so the tonal rapage is in the pre-amp then? i guess i could try that. the traynor comes with a 2 year warrenty ( "even if you break it!"), so i might give that a shot. that is if it sounds absolutely horrenous. if theres a little buzz or something im not gonna be freakin out, but if it makes my cleans sound like an overdrive pedal i will in fact be pissed.
well, the whole me-50 is a big tone sucker, but the pre-amp section is what it says, a pre amp. and its like using a solid state amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

quite a bit. when ever i use my FX pedals i can seriously tell the tone is being sucked. and it was just a wah, a boost, and a delay. i'd say go for either the traynor or blues jr. and just use the me-50 for now, it'll still sound miles ahead of what you had, and then save for the g-major and a midi switcher. or there's always the option of going for a vox valvetronix and just using it's onboard FX.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yeah, i was planning on just using the ME-50 for now, until i really NEED the precise tone. ive heard teh valvetronix isnt full tube, right? and i also dont wanna pay for the extra effects if im gonna use what ive got now and get a processor later.
well that sounds good then.

cheers man,
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Easy solution. Throw the ME-50 in the effects loop and use all except it's distortion / preamp effects. That way, you can use all the modulation and time-based effects from the Me-50, and still get the amp's tube distortion tone.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^ i think i said that somewhere in one of my posts.

but if i didn't then yeah that'll be the way to get the best tone.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Crunchmeister
Easy solution. Throw the ME-50 in the effects loop and use all except it's distortion / preamp effects. That way, you can use all the modulation and time-based effects from the Me-50, and still get the amp's tube distortion tone.

and how would i do that? i dont know a whole lot about amps and effects and whatnot (but ive been trying to learn as much as possible), so im pretty much in the dark.
^ i'd check the onwers manual if you still have it. if not then e-mail boss.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

wouldnt tapping into the effects loop be part of the amp, not the pedal? ill check the manual anyway. hopefully traynor has some kind of online support i can check out too.

again, thanks for teh help guys
ok so ive found a used traynor ycv 40 for $440, with new celestion vintage 30 speaker and new JJ Tubes. seems like a good deal to me, should i go for it?
thats a great deal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565