i just got an acoustic..i have no idea what kind it is, all i know its old really old.. its my second one, my first one when i was young i put the wrong kind of strings on it and it broke the guitar, to much pressure on the thing and the wood started to crack......anyways that was 7 years ago when i was 13........i play electric and never had a problem with strings....so my stupid question is how do i know what kind of strings to put on the acoustic, i want a heavy sound so i guess i want the heaviest strings that would work.......
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by silent caution
i just got an acoustic..i have no idea what kind it is, all i know its old really old.. its my second one, my first one when i was young i put the wrong kind of strings on it and it broke the guitar, to much pressure on the thing and the wood started to crack......anyways that was 7 years ago when i was 13........i play electric and never had a problem with strings....so my stupid question is how do i know what kind of strings to put on the acoustic, i want a heavy sound so i guess i want the heaviest strings that would work.......

Chances are the guitar you broke was a classical acoustic guitar designed to use nylon strings and you put steel strings on it, which created too much tension and pulled the guitar apart.

Does the "new" guitar currently have steel or nylon strings? Look at the strings without windings to tell...the non-wound nylon strings look like monofilament fishing line. The non-wound steel strings are smooth wire.
Last edited by reholli at Jun 12, 2006,
It probably needs nylon strings, if it's not the best of gutiars and is a classical one, other than that just get higher gauge steel strings for a heavier sound.