No, I'm not asking which is better, I just want to know how to tell the difference between a tube amp and an SS amp.

thanks
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
a tube amp has tubes and a standby switch
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by sdn73
What is the standby switch for?

puts the powertubes on standby without totally cutting the current (saves tube life..because constantly powering up an amp will burn the power tubes because of the constant stress of reheating over and over).
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by myvaliantleap
Yea, the standby switch is the dead give away.

but some amps have one switch for power and standby. the switch just has three positions. The best way to tell is just to look and see if it has tubes, after a while you will just be able to tell by playing and listening to it.
Quote by adam02
Tubes are more organic and natural sounding and provide natural and warm harmonics that SS will never be able to produce.

Once you go tube...theres no going back..

ahh

there are some great SS amps (ask spynal) that pwn a lot of Tube amps..

but the thing is... when SS amps set out to mimic tubes they fail.. when they realize they are SS and are developed as SS they can be pretty kick ass

(play a Randall SS, or a Line 6 Vetta II)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
http://home.cogeco.ca/~guitarequipmentguide/Amps/Amp_Basics.htm

check out that. crunchmiester wrote it and it pretty much coveres all things amps.

in general though, tube/valve amps use tubes/valves, and sound much warmer, fuller, more natural, and respond better to your picking, more dynamic, ect.

solid state amps use transistors and sound a little colder, thiner, more artificial and don't really respond well to your playing. although some soild state amps are better than others and sound better than some tube amps. for example, a madison solace, which is an SS amp, sounds better than, say, a line 6 spyder, another SS amp. the solace may also sound better than other tube amps like a peavey valve king. but like strike said, Solid state amps come more into their own then they try to improve on the solid state sound. not emulate the tube sound.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by adam02
Im sure there are, but once you own a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV there is NO SS that can touch it! I mean NONE!!

I'm selling my DeVille and I will either be getting a Mark IV or a ENGL Powerball.
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
btw, to follow up on striketalonx's post, i was borrowing a vetta combo (the older model, or vetta 1 if you may), and it had to be the best ss amp I had ever played, and I loved being able to model a duel recto through one speaker and a solando through the other

sadly, my flaky assed bassist who had no use for it took it away, so now i cant jam with my drummer
now i just bought a VERY used ampeg 4x12 cab for a hundred bucks and im saving for a Randall RH50T...will be f#ckin brewtal
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Quote by ChickenStu
Unless you get a JC-120

So I've heard. Is the chorus on that thing really as good as they say?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^I played a Jazz Chorus at Guitar Center, and I still like my DeVilles cleans better. I don't think it is nearly as good as people say it is/
Quote by charvel_man

can i leave my JMC900 on standby all the time then?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar

well...yeah...but why would you want to?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by ssguitar

yes, but you would only get something like 4-6 months from your tubes. maybe less. actually I'm almost certain it would be less.
Quote by charvel_man

o ok i didnt think it would be good for it.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
o ok i didnt think it would be good for it.

you save tubelife by using standby if your going to just take a 20-30 minute break.

powering up the tubes puts strain on them so thats when standby comes into play allowing the tubes to stay heated. but if your done for the night just turn the amp off.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I heard the Jazz Chorus on low volumes are ALMOST similar to a Fender Twin ?? CMIIW...... which I probably am lol !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!