So, recently I've been leaning towards buying an epiphone SG, i'll try before I buy of course, but I'm having trouble deciding which one exactly, especially in terms of quality as it seems I see each one recomended about the same amount. I'm specifically looking at the G-400 Custon and G-400SG, both seem to cost about the same, and was wondering how the compare quality wise?
Might I recomend the Tony Iommi signature SG, it's got Gibson pickups.

About the G-400 and the Custom. They both have Alnico Classic humbuckers and there specs are basically the same. It's just that the custom has three pickups and the G-400 has two.
Just try them out see which one you like.
With the custom and regular g-400, if you can get the custom for the same price as the regular go for the custom. The cheapest I've seen the custom for is $530. If you can find it for the same $400 that the Regular G-400 is you're getting a really good deal.

Also, check out the Elitist SG's. They're only about $550.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
yeah, i have a g-400 and love the hell out of it...but if you can get the custom, get it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

^I think so, but I'm sure you can still get ahold of them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I have the G-310 and I love that thing so damn much it isn't funny. I have played the G-310 and really couldn't notice too much of a difference except for the fancy features such as inlays, humbucker covers and the pearl top logo.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
The G-310 is made of cheap wood. Spend the extra cash and get the G-400. There's a huge difference between mahogany and agathis or whatever the hell the G-310 is made of.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
wrong^...well...half wrong....the G-400 is made of mahogony and the G-310 is made of alder...is there a real big difference?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

^Really? I thought it was agathis.

If it is alder, go try both and see which you like the sound of more. Both mahogany and alder are good guitar woods, so neither is a bad choice...unless they use REALLY low grade alder.

Edit: I just looked up the G-310 and it is indeed alder. ALTHOUGH, it has a bolt on neck, which I personally don't like.

Also, the G-400 and the Custom are identicle except for the color and the extra humbucker on the Custom.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Jun 10, 2006,
yes, there is^ the 400 is way better, the 310 wont sound like a real SG and the elitist can still be found in GC and other stores though they have been discontinued, they are $580 BTW, generally alder isnt as thick sounding and its used in strats, the grade of wood in the 400 will be okay and the 310s wood will be crappy and it has overall worse quality and a bolt-on neck
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 10, 2006,
i was just on the epiphone site, teasing myself over Les Paul's that i can't afford...and the G-310 says alder...most eh SG's are mahogony though...higher end ones i think...but to threadstarter: if you can, get the custom...Custom G-400 > G-400 > G-310..and believe me, you wont be dissapoined...only thing though is the neck is fat as ****...but i can still manage to play fast enough...you just have to get used to it...anyway...go to the shop and try these bitches out!
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
yeah, i have a g-400 and love the hell out of it...but if you can get the custom, get it.

personally I HATE my G-400, I've done everythign i could to make it stay in tune longer, and it still wouldn't!!!! and it just sounds like crap. When I bend it just makes a weird sound, and it screeched all the time no matter what.
^New tuners, perhaps?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ really?...mine stays in tune perfectly and every second note i play is a bend (not literally...but i do alot of bends so yeah)

and i love the way mine sounds, i will eventually buy new pups just for a change of sound when i get the money...but right now, for a beginner-intermediate this thing is perfect...i play everything from Black Sabbath to Racer X to Jimi Hendrix...and i love it
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Last edited by The_Hell_Patrol at Jun 10, 2006,
^And overpriced.

And acdc, the screech is feedback. Use less gain and it won't happen.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar