Ok, so this contest was a huge flop. Well over half the people that entered couldn't be bothered to record their songs.. So i guess it just leaves you guys less to choose from lol.

I ask you, please listen to everysong and give a fair vote.

DockTheKing-Zephyr Song: http://dockndlauren.dmusic.com

Pinholes89-Slow Cheetah: http://dampwater.dmusic.com

Jof1029-On Mercury: http://jof1029.dmusic.com/

Wounded Hampster-Dosed: http://woundedhamster.dmusic.com/

PeacefulRocker- I Could Have Lied: http://libito.dmusic.com

A few of the entries were disqualified for not obeying the rules. May i ask if a contest comes around again please get around do recording your songs or don't sign up.

Instead of making an actual poll, where people could vote on many acounts. Just simply write here who you thought did the best job, and why. I'll add up all the votes at the end of the week
I'm going to go with Slow Cheetah..

Pinholes89-Slow Cheetah: Vocals, not bad. The second guitar in some parts kind of drowned out the vocals in some parts, But overall it was quite well done, the backing voices aswell helped the feel for the whole thing. 8/10
Quote by False_God
http://ghostblues.dmusic.com you forgot about this song!!!

Didn't you post it in the RHCP Cover Contest thread? That was against the rules.

I believe DocktheKing had the best guitar, but since it's an overall cover contest I'll go with pinholes because the vocals were great and the guitar was pretty good also. Woundedhamster's wasn't bad, but the vocals really don't suit RHCP songs.

EDIT: PeacefulRocker, if you do this again, let me know. I was busy the last couple of weeks, but now I've got 2 months of boring summer ahead of me so I could definitely do one.
Pinholes89-Slow Cheetah FTW. Docks was good as well.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
since im a participant, i dont think im gonna vote. instead im going to just give a short crit for each entry (other than my own).

DockTheKing- this sounded good overall, but there were a few things that i didnt like with the guitar. it sounded like it was pinging back and forth between my ears as i listened with headphones. at times this sounded good, but at other times it was a bit annoying. dont know if that was intentional, or just something that im hearing for some reason. i also think you could have done something in those pauses to fill the space, i would have experimented with hitting the guitar or muted strings for a rhythmic effect, but maybe thats just me. what i did like was the intro coming in one one side then the other, it worked well. i also liked the solo and how it sounded doubled. overall it sounded good, but wasnt spectacular.

Pinholes89- im not as familiar with this song as it is new, but your cover sounded good. the major problem i had was the quality; there was quite a bit of excess noise, static and pops that you maybe could have done a better job editing out. the guitar playing seemed to cut a bunch of the notes short as well, and im not a huge fan of having most of the guitar for the verses panned so far left. the vocals were very good, and the overdubs worked especially well. the lead guitar was also very good, and stuck out in the mix well.

jof1029- hey, thats me. my vocals are pretty bad, i definatly know that.

Wounded Hampster- the quality was, well not that great. it really detracted from the song, which was otherwise pretty good. the guitar work wasnt spectacular, and at times was hard to hear over the static. the strummed guitar in the chorus sounds like its clipping badly and might be slightly out of tune, it just didnt sound that great. i liked the multiple guitar thing going on, it gave a very full sound even without the missing instruments. the lead guitar was good in most of the song, as were the vocals. the vocals seemed a bit flat at times (not like out of tune, but just not much depth). the real problem with this was the quality that made it hard to hear a lot of the stuff, if you could clean it up it would sound a lot better.

PeacefulRocker- sounded good overall. the main riff at times sounded a bit lifeless, like you were just playing monotonously. it wasnt bad, just a bit bland. the same with the strumming parts, not bad, just kinda lifeless and maybe a little hesitant at times. the soloing was a big contrast to that. you seemed to pour a lot more emotion into the soloing and it fit very well with the song for the most part. the leads really stood out and added a lot to the song. the vocals were good, but nothing extraordinary. they fit in, but didnt stand out much, they were just kinda there. the cover was good, but i get the feeling that you just picked this so you could play the solos.

ok, thats what i think about each. sorry if i come across as a bit harsh, i dont mean to. i just think people get more out of the criticism than out of excessive praise (i did put the good opinions in too). overall i think everyone did a nice job and i wish everyone the best of luck
gotta be pinholes, nice cover. and wounded hamster, i loved your vocals. For me at least, that is a very very hard song to sing and you did really well.

Peaceful rocker, if you do another chilis comp, PM me, ive had exams the past couple of weeks but ive got 9 glorious weeks of nothing now.
Im gunna have to go for Pinhole. WOW....
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Hey, thanks for comments on mine so far, they're helpful. I think the messy quality was due to the fact that there's 4 guitar tracks on the actual Chili's song, and 5 on my cover. Thus there was a lot of static that got in there, and I'm still trying to get to grips with the 12-track recorder I have. And yeah, the rhythm playing is pretty scrappy, it was just hard to get some of the timing right without backing or a metronome, but I'm sure you all know that.

On to brief critiques of everyone elses (I'm just gonna put what I said on each of your dmusic sites):

Dock - Your vocals are not bad, but shaky at times, and you could probably get them better with some more practice. The guitar's nothing spectacular, but it isn't in the real thing either, so that's ok. Pretty solid cover.

pinholes - Your singing is really great on this, the guitar isn't perfect but it's more than adequate for the song. The second guitar was a bit too piercing in the mix initially, but later on came together very well, you're clearly a very good guitar player to match the singing. The vocal overdubs were what made the song, you're much more like Frusciante than Kiedis. Nice composition in general man, great cover.

Jof - The singing isn't great, but you know that. The recording quality is very good on the guitar, and you've got all the guitar bits down fine, so it's annoying that the singing seems to come in late on the chorus sometimes. The cover is well recorded, the rhythm is perfect, but the singing is lacking and the lead bits are adequate, but you could have gave them a bit more.

peaceful rocker - To be honest, this has some attractive soloing... but in other areas you're lacking. The vocals are a bit uninspired, not bad, but as if you're holding back. The voice comes across as too weak and a little whiny, let loose a little. The rhythm wasn't hugely flowing either, odd given your very accomplished solos. The cover isn't bad certainly, but maybe you could have spent a little more time on it, I dunno..

Ah yes, and I'm going to vote for pinholes also, it's just clearly the most professional and polished cover of the lot. Well done man. Although, that lespaulsson guy who did the disqualified 'Under The Bridge' would have been a very close second.
Last edited by Wounded Hamster at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by Wounded Hamster
Although, that lespaulsson guy who did the disqualified 'Under The Bridge' would have been a very close second.

hey thanks for that man
I'm surprised more people haven't liked Jof1029's cover, and DockTheKings.

Pinholes, there were alot of parts were you messed up on the guitar playing, and completly threw the timing off of the song. I felt the vocals were off in a few places but still very good, however, i think you chose a great song for the competition.

Wounded Hampster, the quality of your recording was so bad that it was hard to listen to the song.. sorry man, i can't get through 3 minutes of that fuzz.

Jof1029, i thought your cover was the best overall, your vocals wern't the greatest, but they fit the song well. The guitar work seemed nearly flawless..

DockTheKing- I loved what you did to this song, you made it different, but stuck to its roots. I love how you strummed the verse and sang over it. Really worked out well. Enjoyed it alot.
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jun 11, 2006,
and yes Hampster, I didn't really spend much time on it. I wanted to have a very calm rythm in the backround.. different from the original where he is pounding the chords. I wanted it to be very gental, then still a gental but emotional solo. I can play the rythm exactly like Frusciante but.. well that really isn't what I was going for, wanted to make it a bit different. I don't know, i guess i messed it up
well, the thing about the pops is just i dunno why they're there, i even have a pop filter on my mic. And as for the timing, its was a doozy having to do this without drums, and i didn't wanna use a mentronome on it, so i tried my best with the timing, even tho, it appears to sound a bit disoriented at some parts. And i also tried doing the bass parts on my guitar and have it really bass-y sounding, but i guess some of you didn't like it too much.

But anyway, wohoo, i got most of the votes uptill now . As for the others...

- Dock's cover was pretty sweet, altho, i have to admit the guitars were played very well, but the tone of the guitar kinda sounded too clean, or i dunno, it just sounded kind of computerized and electronic. The vocals were good too, but they were a bit sketchy though in many parts. The vocals weren't tight enough.

- jof's cover was ok. I just didn't like the vocals too much, i thought they also were too quiet and had too much reverb and such on it. Same goes or the guitar with the reverbs, i just didn't like the overuse of effects. It kinda sounded empty, but so did almost all of the covers without the bass/drums.

-I like Wounded Hamster's cover of Dosed tho. You sound close to Anthony Kiedis, but still didn't nail it as far as hitting the exact right notes and all. And the instruments didn't mix too well, it seemed like way too much going on, which kinda made it a bit messy instrumental wise.

- As for Peaceful Rocker's cover, you had good guitar playing in your side, i mean, you played it cleanly and all, but the quality and tone weren't that good. The vocals weren't of great quality, and you could also sense how your voice stressed to hit those high notes, and you didn't hit them well. So the vocals overal were meh.

Thanks for the guys that voted for my song,

if there is another RHCP contest, i'm totally in
Damn, is the quality that bad? There is a lot of hum, true, but is it actually unlistenable? I'm not sure if it's my pickups or the multi-effects pedal, I'll need to sort it out.

And yeah, I agree that there does sound as if there's too much going on, I should have got it all together better, so it's a little disappointing that it did come out all messy.
^ its not really unlistenable, but it just really detracts from the song. it makes it hard to hear some of what is going on. its just sloppy. you probably could have used a filter or 7 band EQ or something to remove some of the hiss on each track, which would have helped. i would try that in the future.

thanks for all the comments everyone, they were really useful. i guess i should have spent more time on the vocals. pinholes, i think its kinda funny how you said you thought i overused effects, cause usually im the other direction. i just put chorus on the second guitar part because its horns or piano in the recording, so i wanted it to sound different from the rest. the reverb on the vocals is to make up for my lifeless singing, tho i guess it was a bit much.

pinholes, i dont think the pops were really from the singing, so the pop filter wouldnt have helped. do you have a tube amp? i know that sometimes i get pops from mine when it isnt warmed up all the way or has been idle for a while, so some of it might have been that. the other thing i think it might have been from was the bass parts on the guitar. i find that if i do too much of a bass boost i get some signal clipping in the lower frequencies that isnt audible, but just sometimes causes a pop. i dunno for sure, but those are a couple of my ideas on what it could be.
My first price goes to---------> Pinholes89 - Slow Cheetah

2nd up.. PeacefulRocker- I Could Have Lied: (but only one 1inch from nr 3 )

3rd DockTheKing-Zephyr Song

good work al you guys..!
hmm, i dunno, yea, i think its just from the recording itself. Like it has nothing to do with any of the instruments, sometimes when i save the song it has these pops out of nowhere. Its kinda weird then, i dunno.
i thoguht the guy that done i coulda lied wasn't as bad as it seemed when i read the comments. the whole point was to do it slightly different. That said pinholes was just clearly really good at singing, at guitaring and at mixing and the harmonies made it a pleasure to listen to rather than plowing thru some skankens! i liked the little 'here we go again' on i coulda lied too hehe anyway these type of competitions are well interesting. I rekon someone shud do a radiohead one? anyone wanna set one up, i might if no-one lese wants to?
slow cheetah was awesome guys
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
Quote by shaneO
i thoguht the guy that done i coulda lied wasn't as bad as it seemed when i read the comments. the whole point was to do it slightly different. That said pinholes was just clearly really good at singing, at guitaring and at mixing and the harmonies made it a pleasure to listen to rather than plowing thru some skankens! i liked the little 'here we go again' on i coulda lied too hehe anyway these type of competitions are well interesting. I rekon someone shud do a radiohead one? anyone wanna set one up, i might if no-one lese wants to?
That'd be a good idea, but give it some time before another cover contest is made. We just got a new DMB contest, and we don't want all these contests to be too overburdening...

Plus, there's a Metallica cover contest in effect right now too.
Well I guess its settled.

The winner of the UG RHCP Cover Contest is Pinholes89 with "Slow Cheetah"

Thanks for everyone who competed, I hope you guys had fun
I think we should have a bass only version of this contest. Like people pump out covers of Hard to concentrate, If, and other bass centric RHCP songs. To make up for the lack of bassiness in this one. Or just have a full band cover contest.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
^ I think we've had enough RHCP covers for now. If we're gonna start a new cover contest, it might as well be a different band.

(And we've already got DMB and Metallica atm)
Dispatch Cover Contest?

Primus Cover Contest?

Phish Cover Contest?

The Mars Volta Cover Contest? (I'm sure we'd get TONS of entries for that one )
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
pinholes was clearly the best... i guess imo
Work to live, not live to work.