Ive been in a band for about 2 years, we play metal and have about 10 songs of are own that we want to record.

We got a drum kit with bass mic and shure sm57 and a few extra 57's for are guitars. I got a boss br 1600cd recorder. We record at the other guitarist house and I was plaining on buying software to do bettter editing because u can plug the recorder in the computer usb.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR1600CD-Multitrack-Digital-Recorder?sku=241064

well we started to record and it came out sounding like **** it sounded very flat. im not sure if its the way im recording it or if its the stuff we use. Im playing a mesa boggie triple rect half stack and the tone is great and I want it to be the same on the recording.

question! when im recording were should I place mic distance from amp and how loud should play.

and what software would be great for editing and eq
im planing to record at his house bring it home and edit it on my comp.
Tips would help on how you guys go about the processe of recording or ways to make it sound better.
Thanks
Quote by finallink7

question! when im recording were should I place mic distance from amp and how loud should play.

and what software would be great for editing and eq
im planing to record at his house bring it home and edit it on my comp.
Tips would help on how you guys go about the processe of recording or ways to make it sound better.
Thanks

Depends what sound you want,if you want a roomy natural reverb place it 3-5 feet away.If you want no reverb or echo place it against the grille cloth.I do two things place it about 2 inches away if i want a good distorted sound,or if you want a little bit heavier i have where i (carefully) cut a small hole (about the diamater of a sm57)and i stick it in,touching the speaker.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
1. Tone could be a million different things, mixer EQ's recorder EQS guitar amp settings, ect, thats has A LOT to do with trial and error just finding the right mix, also using a USB interface ive heard can cause loss quality in transistion, but id try settings before i go to that (ive never used usb interface)

2. Mic distance from the amp 1-6 inches, and you record it as loud as you need (looking at monitoring levels) then you fine tune the mixed levels later obviously

Depends what sound you want,if you want a roomy natural reverb place it 3-5 feet away

I wouldnt do that, if you want a roomy reverb, you get a reverb pedal.. or you add reverb on the program, you lose sound quality doing what he said, no offense, thats just not how you do it... mic should be 1-6 inches away, and you put effects through your amp, or do them in the program if you dont have the pedals, Programs like sonar or cubase have plug ins for dozens of guitar effects, each of which can be finely tuned
Last edited by Scott3229 at Jun 10, 2006,
For software,I use cubase, but if your gonna just be editing at home i would reccomend pro tools le (with bundled software) because it come with a ton of mastering and editing software.The only thing is your probaly gonna have to buy a digidesign product with it
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
You want to place the microphone in the middle of one of the speakers in the cabinet, facing away fromt he centre of the speaker towards the edge of it.