Well I've been playing for a bit less than a year and I can already play soloes and stuff, working on fast soloes mostly.

I'm looking for a guitar that's good for metal, like Metallica and **** since i have a crappy beginners guitar. So please tell me what to get, less than 1000 dollars, and if there is a really cheap metal guitar please recomend it to me.

i heard Les Pauls are good but dunno what it's worth

edit: forgot to metion that i also needed a cheap amplifier for metal
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Jun 10, 2006,
Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP guitars. All are great for metal.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
my guitar would be a good oneand it's for sale....

yes I just shamelessly advertised it. But in all seriousness Les Pauls are awesome guitars, very versatile.

depends if you want a trem though
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by adam02
Basically i guess your after big sustaining chuggin' power chords and big sound.

les pauls will provide you with solid chuggage, with some EMG's its a perfect combo.

here here
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
For an amp, i recommend going all tube for starters. Go for a combo, i get the impression your not in a band but might want something for gigs. If so a combo can be miked up and PA'd at most venue's. Good high gain amps for metal include:

Engl's
Mesa/Boogie
Peavey
Marshall (Boosted)

And a lot others i cant think of right now
Quote by eviledge87
i've heard BC Rich guitars are good for metal

I've heard Bc rich guitars...

...they're not good for metal, compared for what you canget in the same price range
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
i got a shecter omen6 and it sounds really good, i play pretty much the same stuff. i got a ****ty amp it sounds pretty good, so with a good amp itll sound godlike. i got mine new for $280, even though the website says that they run bout 600. esp's are supposed to be really good too
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Schecter = Good metal guitars. Lovely clean sounds, and great sustain.
Quote by eviledge87
i've heard BC Rich guitars are good for metal

They aren't. They're good for testing out woodchippers.

(unless you drop three grand on a custom shop model)
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yes schecters are great metal guitars, Basically you need to go down to a local guitar centre or music shop and try all the guitars we've recommended for you, never ever buy any piece of gear without trying them, Ive wasted so much money on that. Im talking from experience here.
Jackson And Ibanez especially if your doing fast leads there really good for that. you do need a good amp though. theres lots of good ones just dont get a hartke or peavey they really dont have enough bite for metal.
Quote by the spiker
Ibanez RG series are pretty good. My RGT42DX does nicely.

Agreed
ibanez RG or S series
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
I dont think youre gonna find a les paul for under $1000

unless u find a used one

:: peace ::
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
almost any nez is great but i recommend S520EX also known as the extreme metal and b c rich guitars are sweet if u put in some emg's
it really depends whether you play rhythm or lead. if lead, i suggest an ibanez. their necks are like a christ-like experience. if your rhythm, go with some sort of les paul. epiphones and agiles are really nice if you dont wanna spend over a grand. then you swap the pickups for emgs and you will have a very heavy tone to move the song along.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
hey thanks a lot guys =D

don't have a band yet, forming one, my bros an awesome drummer, and i'm playing lead guitar right now, it's only me and my bro but w/e, i also sing but when i find a good guitarist i'll have to do rythm since i sing...

i got really **** equipment, digisound amp (god ****), and texas guitar... only good thing i have is my BOSS effects pedal which went from my older brother who's a pro at playing guitar to me.

He got bored of playing guitar, he was in a band but had to leave since we had to move to diffrent country and so he got bored, well and he taught me awesome stuff in guitar

Quote by adam02
Yes schecters are great metal guitars, Basically you need to go down to a local guitar centre or music shop and try all the guitars we've recommended for you, never ever buy any piece of gear without trying them, Ive wasted so much money on that. Im talking from experience here.

thanks, i'll do it, I wouldn't like to waste money and find that the guitar i just bought doesn't suit me well =]
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Jun 10, 2006,
SCHECTER HELLRAISER C1 FR anda ROLAND CUBE 60! that shud be about 1000 mayeb a little more so yeah.....

ithe schecter has EMG's plus a OFR so yea metal is good and the cube 60 recto setting plus it sseems u like heavier stuff so yeah there u go
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Schecter = Sex on a Stick, End of Story

No, but theyre great guitars for a great price, you might want to look into the Damien Line, but if you have the money get the Hellraiser.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Ibanez S470 ZR trem + mahogany body + wizard2 neck is very nice at this pricepoint.

or try this for made in Japan monster for extreme Tiger rOcK: Jump Jump, Ride the tiger you can feel his heart and you know he's mean~ Dio- Holy Diver
http://cgi.ebay.com/ARIA-PRO-II-RS-INAZUMA-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-1984_W0QQitemZ7420917444QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by CustomCustom at Jun 11, 2006,
definitely try esp, i have an ec-1000 and it works great for 'metal'... altough the neck is a bit thicker than an ibanez if that matters to you. avoind b.c. rich like the plague... they look cool and that's about it. i had a bich before i upgraded and as much as i like the way it looks, have never played it again (even with emgs.)

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
I'd suggest buying a nice amp and a cheaper guitar. If the xxx is still on offer on MF I'd go for that, and guitar-wise the Ibanez S470 is very nice.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
give the peavey wolfgang a try if you can find one. its a lot of guitar for the money,it does it all
Quote by that1l)ude
Jackson And Ibanez especially if your doing fast leads there really good for that. you do need a good amp though. theres lots of good ones just dont get a hartke or peavey they really dont have enough bite for metal.

peavey?

yeah, that's why almost every other metal band uses a 5150.

Ibanez/Jackson/ESP/Schecter are good production company guitars.

if you save up another grand look up Ran Guitars www.ranguitars.com
Quote by that1l)ude

I just went through all these questions+research a few weeks ago and ended up getting a hellraiser even though it was more than I had planned on spending. Then my friend went to the same place (you will be surprised at the amount of negotiating you can do) and got an omen and upgraded the pickups to seymour duncans, we are both very happy.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to say go with a Schecter. Any of them will work to be honest with you, they're all extremely good instruments. If you've got the cash, get the Hellraiser, but (just saying) my Omen 6, which is completely stock right now, has yet to let me down in ANY playing situation. I mean ANY situation. Paired with my Tube Screamer....playing guitar = orgasmic.
MY GEAR
Schecter Omen 6
Crate GT30
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by Raistincarnate

Yeah, Dragonforce is like having two Steve Vai's that were locked up with a DnD game and a guitar for twenty years and then started a band.
You have a **** amp?

Upgrade that thing ASAP. That gives most of the Metal tone, not the actual axe itself.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by killertomato333
u need a bc rich warlock

Only if he has a fireplace which it can call home.
MY GEAR
Schecter Omen 6
Crate GT30
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by Raistincarnate

Yeah, Dragonforce is like having two Steve Vai's that were locked up with a DnD game and a guitar for twenty years and then started a band.
if ur looking for metal u might want to spend a bit more than 1000 to get a gibson flying v. i heard the epiphone ones aren't the real deal.
Quote by Schecter Owns
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to say go with a Schecter. Any of them will work to be honest with you, they're all extremely good instruments. If you've got the cash, get the Hellraiser, but (just saying) my Omen 6, which is completely stock right now, has yet to let me down in ANY playing situation. I mean ANY situation. Paired with my Tube Screamer....playing guitar = orgasmic.

If you are unlucky enough to pay the listed sale price, consider a Damien, like an Omen but special edition and the parts upgrade are worth much more than the $50 it is over an Omen. I was going that route till I splurged and got the hellraiser.