Page 1 of 2
I have a Fender FM25DSP and in a year will get a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue (Tentatively.. it'll be a tube amp that's for sure)

I don't play heavy metal (although I like stuff like Steve Vai plays) or punk/emo/anything "Catchy" nowadays. I like classic rock, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP

so basically I just need a basic distortion pedal like the BOSS DS-1 right?
jimi hendrix and rolling stones is more of an overdrive than a distortion. but if your gonna get just a general distortion pedal then ya the ds1 is pretty good.
Quote by Ibanez_rawker
^^ that pedal is the pedal kurt cobain used.

you can check http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTJHE for jimi hendrix

And that's why he sounded like crap.

If you're going to get a tube amp, I HIGHLY reccommend an overdrive pedal instead of a distortion pedal. I would look at either a Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive or a Digitech DF-7. I own both and they work wonderfully with my Fender DeVille. The Jekyll and Hyde has two pedals built into it--Jekyll (Overdrive side) and Hyde (Distortion side) and both together (Overtortion--I made that word in my head ). It is a very authentic sounding pedal, and is built like a tank. I've dropped mine a good 5 times, and not a dent. The DF-7 is good too, because of the versatility. It has 7 amp models, that sound great, but not as great as buying the real pedals seperatly.

Well, hope that helped.
-Chris
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
"I don't play... anything "Catchy" nowadays. I like classic rock, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP"

Are you kidding?
I play guitar
^ I was going to comment on that too, but i decided to let it slide
Quote by charvel_man

Boss SD1. $49.95 at Musicians friend. This will work well with a tube amp.
Quote by amazingdm
I have a Fender FM25DSP and in a year will get a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue (Tentatively.. it'll be a tube amp that's for sure)

I don't play heavy metal (although I like stuff like Steve Vai plays) or punk/emo/anything "Catchy" nowadays. I like classic rock, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP

so basically I just need a basic distortion pedal like the BOSS DS-1 right?

If your planning to use the Boss DS-1 on top of the FM25DSP, you will find it will end up sounding horrible, because your amp is solid state and would cause too much noise and interferance and rip apart the tone.

My advice is to save the money towards a new amp, and get a job and practice untill then. Always try the gear in person before buying.
Quote by )Eric(Draven
"I don't play... anything "Catchy" nowadays. I like classic rock, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP"

Are you kidding?

NO, I hate this trendy emo/punk crap they have nowadays and all this weird stuff with people just yelling/growling.

Anyway I'm just looking for something under $40..
i got a great little overdrive pedal
"Danelectro Pastrami overdrive"
20 bucks
its great, and cheap
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
Oh and if these run on batteries, how long do they tend ot last?

I have a job and already have everything planned out to get a new tube amp next year.. I'm just looking for a simple distortion pedal to use with my amp right now and with that tube amp when I get it..
ill second the jeykll and hyde. its more than 100 but you'll never need another distortion pedal (even if you are using a tube amp). The others are kinda unreliable and sound good "for the price".

And no matter what...no digitech.
Quote by adam02
Restrain yourself from buying a DS-1, it will simply sound horrible through your current amp.

If you must satisfy your urge, Buy a metronome or a nice tuner.

uh that'd kinda.. not be distortion lol. I'm not urging just to buy any ol' pedal, I'm looking for a distortion pedal.
Digitech deathmetal
yay!!!
*humph*
just don't get anythign by danelectro e.g. french toast
Quote by Johnljones7443
She looks like Rusty Cooley with tits.

Well at guitar center they had all their pedals run through an MG-something Marshall amp and it sounded pretty decent

I'm just sorta confused now.. as always, between the difference between overdrive and distortion..

can anyone list examples like bands/songs where one would draw the line between the two?
Quote by Slayer_Of_Gods
Digitech deathmetal
yay!!!
*humph*
just don't get anythign by danelectro e.g. french toast

the name itself is exactly what I don't play.. I don't like death metal
You heard a bunch of pedals through an MG...

Try some high end all-tube high end amp, with some rack units, then tell me how good a boosted MG with a danelectro sounds.

Im telling you the best way to use your money, use it to buy decent gear because i guarantee later on you will be looking sometime else to replace your temporary gear.
this is such a headache

how is the danelectro fab pedals?

Let me list all the examples I can think of that I want to sound like

Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Lenny Kravitz
*Steve Vai*
John Frusciante
Judas Priest
Pink Floyd/David Gilmour
Guns N Roses

if these are all mostly overdrive I'd be happy with that.. But can an OD pedal still get a good crunch?
Dont buy a pedal for $40. You will like it for a week.

Get a nice overdrive pedal, but work on an amp first...and then decide if you need a pedal.
The amp I'm going to get in a year or so has no gain/overdrive settings at all, just, I'd assume, a natural overdrive (and no matter what or how much I spend between now and then I'll still be able to get the amp, that's not a problem)

So I guess for right now I'd like a cheap, decent/adjustable OD or distortion pedal for my current amp
Why are you set on an amp that doesnt do the sound you want by itself?

btw, the fab pedals are trash.
Ok this is my last post on this thread, do what you like but you will regret it:

1) Invest in a nice all-tube amplifier that sounds how you want it to sound.
2) Save every dollar you can, and avoid buying cheap gear to satisfy a fetish that will last a week.
3) Try out the gear before you buy.

Quote by adam02
Ok this is my last post on this thread, do what you like but you will regret it:

2) Save every dollar you can, and avoid buying cheap gear to satisfy a fetish that will last a week.

look I'm not on just a fetish that needs satisfying, I just want a decent OD/distortion pedal to get some classic rock sounds. While I can't spend more than $40 NOW, the money isn't a problem in the future and I can basically choose any amp I want in the $1000 range.
Quote by adam02

Exactly..im gonna go back on what i said. You sir have nailed it on the head.

but if he wants a pedal under 40 bucks then i doubt he's willing to spend a lot of money based on what 2 guys have to say on an internet forum...nonetheless you couldn't be more right.

If in the future you can pretty much buy any amp for $1000 then your $40 pedal is gonna rob your tone AND if you dont use it with your new tube amp then it goes to waste anyway...either way you basically lose $40. (you can't realistically find a good one for $40)
Last edited by JET116 at Jun 10, 2006,
Ok let's just say that come a year from now, I'll buy another pedal with any price in the world..

For right now.. what would be just a good/decent/adjustable pedal for my tastes for my current amp?
Here's what I want to know

people are saying use an overdrive pedal over a distortion pedal, especially if I'm going to get a tube amp someday. I'm willing to listen..
shoot i forgot my question

maybe it was.. can you still get a good crunchy/distorted sound from an overdrive pedal?
no one's replying anymore but that's ok, nevermind, you guys have convinced me to forgo the headache and wait..
this thread is over run with stupid
Quote by charvel_man

Quote by HomerHitter
this thread is over run with stupid

By who? are you saying I'm stupid?
Whats the difference between an Overdrive and a Distortion?
Quote by haveaniceday233
no im not the typical kind of guy who wants to play fall out boy and all that shi*t its pretty gay so no i wouldnt sell out

Quote by hardrock1315
Yeah, selling out totally changes your sexual preference.
I've been researching that a lot
they're basically the same thing, except overdriven tone is when a tube amp is pushed past its clean and the signal gets clipped (think of a mountain with the top part chopped off, referring to the soundwave)..

Distortion is just a heavier version of it, trying to emulate that.

I think it's just varying degrees.. distortion being heavier than overdrive
Page 1 of 2