OK i have fallen in love with the JCM 800. Today i played an old 1983 JCM 800 2203 and the tone just blew me away. So i was thinking of selling some gear and getting one. But i need two channels one distorted and one clean. and i wont be able to sell enough to get two even though i wish i could i was wondering about the 2205 Dual Channel and if there is any tonal difference between the 2203 and the 2205

thx guys
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
the 2205's have a more modern/saturated distortion while the single channels are more old school and sound more like JMP's, in fact, the 2203 you played was essentially a JMP in a JCM800 shell. The 2203's are legendary all-times amps though, they are good. Why couldn't you get an ABY switch and play both inputs?
Dude that is ****ing ingenius i cant believe i didnt think of that. and that would work fine because on low sensitivity it sounds clean even with the preamp all the way up.

Gutch I love You man you have saved the day. Thank you so much.

GUTCH IS AMAZING!!!!!
well the problem with that is the volume difference between the high and low gain channels is pretty dramatic.

so switching just between the inputs may make you sound very very weak when playing clean...of course if you keep it tabbed at 10 on the preamp you should be ok.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
well the problem with that is the volume difference between the high and low gain channels is pretty dramatic.

so switching just between the inputs may make you sound very very weak when playing clean...of course if you keep it tabbed at 10 on the preamp you should be ok.

Ya but if it is low i can use a Equalizer as a volume boost or a compressor or something
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ya but if it is low i can use a Equalizer as a volume boost or a compressor or something

you should be fine...the only time it would be a problem is when your playing with the master volume on 2 or 3 (still ear splitting loud on the high channel) and then switch the to low. the low input needs about 5-6 on the master volume to really get going.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
ya i can just use a volume boost and i should be fine for now eventually i save up and just get another head
I would try and see if it works first. Sometimes if you use both inputs, it will mix the channels automatically so an ABY both might not work. I would try it first.
ya im gonna go with the 2203 then save up for another. thx everybody
where are you buying it? how much?
Does it have vertical inputs, 6 Daly capacitors, Drake tranformers, EL34's, etc?
I know this guy that works at GC and he has like four old JCM 800s in great condition, and he is gonna sell me one. I played one with el 34s and one with 6550s and i prefered the one with 6550s in it unfortunatly i dont know what capacitors and or transformers are in it but i think besides the tube it is stock. and it has vertical inputs. and the Price is 1000 and he is gonna throw in a new set of tubes.
Ya i thought so too whats so special about those capacitors and transformers
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ya i thought so too whats so special about those capacitors and transformers

usually in early JCM800's, Drake transformers and Daly caps are more desirable. It will sound good either way though because there are 6 electrolytic capacitors which is good.

-also, if you can't seperate each input when they are both plugged in you can always disconnect the inputs from eachother, this is a beginner mod and very easy to reverse. So an ABY both should definately work.
Quote by bonchie1

most amps with two inputs disable one if you plug into the other.... do the JCMs do this as well?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
most amps with two inputs disable one if you plug into the other.... do the JCMs do this as well?

Ya this is what i was thinking
ask the guy if its a 2204 or 2203 head.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Gutch220
^ I think its a 2203

yeah i just saw that in his original post...i'm dumb

snap that up man...2203's are really rare and they'll be worth a ton of money one day. 1000 bucks for one is a deal.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ Ya i know thats what im saying it seems like an awesome deal and i will just save up and buy another one off him so i can get two.

Whats the tonal difference between a 2203 and a 2204 asthetically they seem the same to me
Quote by bonchie1
yeah i just saw that in his original post...i'm dumb

snap that up man...2203's are really rare and they'll be worth a ton of money one day. 1000 bucks for one is a deal.

Uh..

Are you serious? lol
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Uh..

Are you serious? lol

OK i must be dumb Genocide whats so funny
I can't imagine an amp that has sparked countless clones and has been mass produced being all too valuable.. I mean they're nice amps but you could just as easily make one yourself if they'd start fetching too much money.

There are a few people on this forum who are starting to get a real hard-on for JCM800s... Saying they'll be 'valuable' someday is a bit rediculous. Look at plexis and the like.. you don't see them going for too much, do you?
Ya thats what i was thinking because i see those amps on Ebay all the time
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I can't imagine an amp that has sparked countless clones and has been mass produced being all too valuable.. I mean they're nice amps but you could just as easily make one yourself if they'd start fetching too much money.

There are a few people on this forum who are starting to get a real hard-on for JCM800s... Saying they'll be 'valuable' someday is a bit rediculous. Look at plexis and the like.. you don't see them going for too much, do you?

whats your definition of someday. i meant in 40 years not 5 when most of them are broke and gone. the jcm800 is known as the best amp marshall ever made. the 2203 is the rarest model and it is the most coveted. in 40 years when theres only a few left it will be worth alot more cash then you payed for it. the resale has already went way up on them in the past year.

who cares if you can build one like it...wtf does that have to do with anything. i'm not saying people will pay money for them because of the sound...there are plenty of collectors out there who collect vintage amps just like vintage guitars...original les pauls go for 200000 bucks now at the very least. not saying an original jcm800 is gonna go anywhere close to that but when its all said and done it'll be a collectors item.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
ok i was playing it with a Boss SD-1 to get a good metal tone and it sounded amazing but i was wondering if anyone has tried it with a maybe a Maxon 808 or Maxon od-9