so, im in a ska band
and our saxaphonist is really good at Sax. but during the parts where he doesnt have notes to play, he insists on singing along...
and he is awful. But he thinks that he is a super-duper singer.

so i need some advice on how to like... nudge him off of the singing part

any suggestions?
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
Cut out his tongue, or keep him busy with more saxophone parts.
Quote by yawn
Cut out his tongue, or keep him busy with more saxophone parts.

that would make it a little harder to play the sax...
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
oooh. that would be mean, all the things you guys suggest are realllllly mean, but i guess that's the only thing to do. Yeah, just tell him he sucks, get itover with.
Be like hey shut the **** up thats what i did to the lead guitarist he wanted to do backing vocals during the chorus and stuff and mine and his voice doesnt sound good together like mine and the bassist mesh well so he does the backing stuff. i was just like dude it sux shut up
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by playfielder
record him singing then play it back to him. it works

if you do this and hes really that bad i can guarantee he wont sing another note. lol

listening to yourself sing on a recording can be a humbling experiance if you arent singing well. i think anyone can learn to sing though so maybe you could work with him on it rather than just dismissing him. you have to practice to get good at it like anything else. you arent born a guitar player and singers arent born singers either.
don't give him a mic.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
yeah... i had the same problem, except it was me singing . I wasn't that terrible, but I wasn't good by any stretch, and my drummer (also my best friend) just had to straight up tell me. 'Dude, we need a real singer' and I was like... *in my head 'stfu bitch!!!'* but then I thought about it and was like... 'Ok, that's fine.' And it all worked out nicely.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
tell the band that you wanna listen to the band play and so you are recording a song that he sings in, and when you play it back, make like a laughing comment like "dude, you like sing terrible! dont sing so damn much, jeez. but seriously. stick to the saxaphone. we already have someone to sing."

option 2. kill him.......seriously. kill him now...I COMMAND YOU!

option 3. tell him "man, if you dont stop singing so much, (because you really dont sing well) i swear i just.. hehe, i just think i could, heh almost KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND! ILL KILL YOU YOU LITTLE ****! and have like the other band members like hold you back as you lunge at him, and then whereas he would normally get mad at you for telling him he sucks at singing, he is not mad because he is shocked at how angry you are, and he is almost sorry for driving you to that point.

option 4. kill him...

im telling you dude kill him
Either tell him he is not a good singer or if you don't want to do
Quote by evansut7
if you do this and hes really that bad i can guarantee he wont sing another note. lol

listening to yourself sing on a recording can be a humbling experiance if you arent singing well. i think anyone can learn to sing though so maybe you could work with him on it rather than just dismissing him. you have to practice to get good at it like anything else. you arent born a guitar player and singers arent born singers either.

listening to a recording of yourself: yes, always works.

but no, singers can be born singers lol. a lot of them are!

but the majority of us UG'ers who are just here cuz we play bass or guitar or w.e and ar ethinking about being backing vocals or w.e (really common story here), it IS a lot of practice, and theres not much more to it.