yo, gettin into the whole black death metal junk and i began to wonder, what is the difference between black metal and death metal, it sounds so alike. i already know bout melo. death such as bodom, inflames, arch enemy if u can say that.
so what is the big diff. and can u possibly name some bands for me to get into?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
listen to Immolation (Death) and then listen to Mutiilation (black)

the difference is more than obvious.

Edit: go to the recommendation thread to have some recs for both genres and you after a few listens you'll be able to tell which is which.
Last edited by chemicalsolutio at Jun 10, 2006,
dont know the difference really. the sound diifference is not obvious to people with a wider taste in music. my favorite death metal bands are morbid angel and opeth.
Quote by that1l)ude
dont know the difference really. the sound diifference is not obvious to people with a wider taste in music.

Not very wise a comment.
Yeah, Malevolent Creation vs. Burzum. See the difference?
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by that1l)ude
dont know the difference really. the sound diifference is not obvious to people with a wider taste in music. my favorite death metal bands are morbid angel and opeth.

Wow that's funny cause I listen to all kinds of different music and have absolutely no trouble telling the difference. I think instead of wider taste in music you meant, less musical knowledge.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
^haha, yeah. buy some Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem for black metal (and Immortal) and for death buy some Nile, Cryptopsy, and Death (lol). you will tell the diff reeeeeal quick.
Nah, the two genres really don't sound much alike.

If you know anything at all about actually listening to music and distinguishing sounds then you could tell the difference between a proper black metal band like Darkthrone, just for example, as compared to that of Cannibal Corpse in the death metal genre... Musically anyway.
Black/Death.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
yo, gettin into the whole black death metal junk and i began to wonder, what is the difference between black metal and death metal, it sounds so alike. i already know bout melo. death such as bodom, inflames, arch enemy if u can say that.

Go to the Rec Thread, but here are some:

Death
Nile
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corapse

As for Black, you're on your own. I'm not Black Metal guy.
Quote by that1l)ude
dont know the difference really. the sound diifference is not obvious to people with a wider taste in music.

Wow. I think you're on the verge of an intellectual/philosophical breakthrough.
Quote by that1l)ude

Perhaps if you listened to that "wider" range of music at deafening volumes.
People with a 'wider' range of music will be able to tell the difference more easily than people who only listen to whatevers popular.
the most obvious for sumone just starting to listen or even not id say is the vocals, squaking opposed to growling, and of course production quality
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Quote by Icarus66
^haha, yeah. buy some Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem for black metal (and Immortal) and for death buy some Nile, Cryptopsy, and Death (lol). you will tell the diff reeeeeal quick.

Hell yeah add some Necrophagist and your set.
Quote by Spark1284
the most obvious for sumone just starting to listen or even not id say is the vocals, squaking opposed to growling, and of course production quality

It is not a good thing to judge upon, because both screeching vocals and bad production belong in both genres.

"Squaking" vocals: Death.
Bad production: Masochist.

Both death metal.
It hard to explain, so if this makes no sense, or is completely wrong, don't blame me...

Anywho. Black metal is usually more atmostpheric than Death metal. The vocals are usually a lot higher, being more of a scream than a growl. Usually it has very trebly production.

Black - 1349, Immortal, Mayhem, Nargaroth, Burzum.
Death - Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Vader, Behemoth, Cryptopsy.
^yeah. also add:
- thin or thick guitar tones, not in between
- keyboards (sometimes)
- less rhythmic focus on dynamics.
CC - death metal
Emperor - black metal

Two VERRRYYY well known examples that you can hear and easily use to tell the difference between the two genres.
Quote by shadowsoldier08

CoB is melodic death metal. Its got more than just mindlessly fast riffs (Necrophagist)
Quote by haveaniceday233
no im not the typical kind of guy who wants to play fall out boy and all that shi*t its pretty gay so no i wouldnt sell out

Quote by hardrock1315
Yeah, selling out totally changes your sexual preference.
^try them out. i just bought 'in the nightside eclipse' (their first) today and i really like it. also Children of Bodom is power metal. ( to warhead)
black metal is more ambient, emotional music, and also the lyrics are sometime very complex and deep (emperor), death metal is the super fast, bang-your-head off music that mainly has gore based lyrics but there are exceptions nile (with my iron phallus i have committed sodomy to thee \m/) but death metal is also just super cool, nuff said, there are also subgenres but thats immaterial.. metal is metal

it all depends on ur preference.... dont get me wrong, both genres rock and while im more of a black metaller, i sometimes find constantly on my death metal playlist

as for recs, try the thread but:

black: (as already said) emperor (cant go wrong, also my favourite band)
darkthrone
immortal
diabolical masquerade (VERY good band, if u like soemthing different)
death: nile
Necrophagist (i dont like them much, but then again, death is not really my thing)
carcass (once again not really my cup of tea but there are some really good songs)

there are tons of other bands, but at this point jus try the rec thread and i think most people are waiting to see if u turn into a poser before deciding whether to give u the good stuff haha
I am them.
Last edited by Biscuits_Rock at Jun 11, 2006,